BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agree?

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Bpeep » Jun 26th, 2018, 12:16 am

Postie307 wrote:The man who seems to be a spokesman for the homeless and calls himself Rickie Karaszi is the same Richard Karaszi who physically and mentally abused his senior mother for years. Made her give him money and eventually beat her up so bad she nearly died and was in hospital for quite some time. He has been homeless for 19 months because of decisions he made not because the system failed him.


http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/16 ... y-attacked
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28943
Likes: 13064 posts
Liked in: 10353 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby the truth » Jun 26th, 2018, 6:42 am

and that's the kind of person's-- not all but many- looking for a free ride from taxpayers that left wingers want to give a free ride too,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16364
Likes: 11243 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby W105 » Jun 26th, 2018, 7:00 am

very hard to believe that the Spokesperson for the Homeless Task Force is a drunk who almost beat his mother to death..

something straight out of the twilight zone...
W105
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3858
Likes: 1597 posts
Liked in: 3596 posts
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 7:46 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby the truth » Jun 26th, 2018, 7:07 am

W105 wrote:very hard to believe that the Spokesperson for the Homeless Task Force is a drunk who almost beat his mother to death..

something straight out of the twilight zone...
did the people interviewing him not know who he was, or did they ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16364
Likes: 11243 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby bjsilent » Jun 26th, 2018, 7:17 am

the truth wrote:
W105 wrote:very hard to believe that the Spokesperson for the Homeless Task Force is a drunk who almost beat his mother to death..

something straight out of the twilight zone...
did the people interviewing him not know who he was, or did they ?

Same with one of the managers at Cornerstone shelter not having and background or experience managing a homeless shelter, she used to be a waitress at kelly o bryans
bjsilent
Board Meister
 
Posts: 355
Likes: 87 posts
Liked in: 392 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2013, 8:34 am
Location: Kelowna

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Prestige Mike » Jun 26th, 2018, 8:44 am

alanjh595 wrote:
Okay, fine, I can see the benefits of this type of program, but why does it have to negatively affect homeowners that are next door?
Why does the low person on the ladder deserve better than the one above? The one above IS trying to help the lower one up, why should they be have to pay?
WHY can't these people NEED to be integrated into neighbourhoods that don't want them there? You know that they will be watched like a hawk on a mouse. They will be watched under a microscope and I am sure that they will feel the pressure.

Isn't better to give the homeless/druggies access to the services they need/want, without being watched by those that want to watch and wait for them fail?


Again, the research shows that Housing First strategies work across many metrics. The question is, where do you implement a housing first strategy. As you have highlighted, a lot of people do not want housing for the homeless in their neighborhood. So where do you put these types of programs? Can you think of one area in Kelowna that would not stoke the anger of the NIMBYers?
Prestige Mike
Board Meister
 
Posts: 368
Likes: 68 posts
Liked in: 106 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 26th, 2018, 9:29 am

Why do they have to be located in the city? I understand that they need to be near services, but that can be overcome as well if the services were to on a visitation type. What's wrong with putting a camp, with proper ATCO trailers on the Coq. connector?

That way, they are not in anyone's space and the exterior appearance won't matter. Just like they do for large, remote, construction sites.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 7234
Likes: 2792 posts
Liked in: 3819 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby the truth » Jun 26th, 2018, 11:11 am

[qote="bjsilent"]
the truth wrote:
W105 wrote:very hard to believe that the Spokesperson for the Homeless Task Force is a drunk who almost beat his mother to death..

something straight out of the twilight zone...
did the people interviewing him not know who he was, or did they ?

Same with one of the managers at Cornerstone shelter not having and background or experience managing a homeless shelter, she used to be a waitress at kelly o bryans[/quote]

its who you know in this town, nothing more nothing less
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16364
Likes: 11243 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Prestige Mike » Jun 26th, 2018, 3:05 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Why do they have to be located in the city? I understand that they need to be near services, but that can be overcome as well if the services were to on a visitation type. What's wrong with putting a camp, with proper ATCO trailers on the Coq. connector?

That way, they are not in anyone's space and the exterior appearance won't matter. Just like they do for large, remote, construction sites.


I'm skeptical of that idea.

How do they access supports (Therapist, Alcohol and Drug Counselor)? How do they look for work? How do you surround themselves with positive and inspirational people?
Prestige Mike
Board Meister
 
Posts: 368
Likes: 68 posts
Liked in: 106 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 26th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Prestige Mike wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Why do they have to be located in the city? I understand that they need to be near services, but that can be overcome as well if the services were to on a visitation type. What's wrong with putting a camp, with proper ATCO trailers on the Coq. connector?

That way, they are not in anyone's space and the exterior appearance won't matter. Just like they do for large, remote, construction sites.


I'm skeptical of that idea.

How do they access supports (Therapist, Alcohol and Drug Counselor)? How do they look for work? How do you surround themselves with positive and inspirational people?


All good questions, and all solvable.
Counsellors can be brought in a 'as needed" basis, could be daily or weekly.
Medical and dental the same way. How many are using these services at present?
How do they look for work today?
Do they have access to the internet?
Are they actually making any effort to look for employment?
The positive and inspirational persons will best come from those that have been down their path before them. These are the people that they will trust the most. Until that moment comes, the current support volunteers would be happy to continue their good work and be willing to travel to those that need their help.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 7234
Likes: 2792 posts
Liked in: 3819 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], JayByrd and 12 guests