Unemployement in the Okanagan

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Unemployement in the Okanagan

Post by Bpeep »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Bman wrote:Any job that will allow you to volunteer and work for free at won't require much for skill or qualifications

This is completely untrue but you can believe what you want. Accounting and engineering jobs definitely allow people to shadow, intern, and or work for free. It completely depends on the company and employees involved and how much training or schooling the person wanting job experience has.

Do these unemployment statistics take into account people interning or not?

If you shadowed in my business, it also would qualify you for nothing. Zero.
About the only thing you'll learn is if you're cut out for the work or not.
Lots of businesses let people shadow.
It still qualifies them for zero.

I don't let anyone shadow, they're more a liability than anything else.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I assume you have minimum qualifications, if any, and have a low paying job and are struggling.
If you or anyone else wants to have any security and the ability to earn substantial, objective post sec or running a biz is your best bet.
Anyone who works a low paying job that requires minimum skill will struggle and complain forever and never have much for security.

If you want to be an engineer or accountant, there's a correct way to get there.
Working for free and job shadowing isn't it.

If anyone is unsure of the route to go, try speaking to a counsellor at the college or university.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:If you shadowed in my business, it also would qualify you for nothing. Zero.

Should I care? I didn't mention your business now did I?

I said it's dependant on the business, the employees involved, and the schooling or training that the person wanting to volunteer or intern has. Once again, i feel like you're not reading my posts and just trying to bait me into some stupid argument.

Good day, sir.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:I assume you have minimum qualifications

Nice personal attack again. You guys are nothing if not consistent with putting people down.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Bman wrote:Do you actually think you can get an accounting or engineering degree by shadowing?
C'mon now.

Where did I say this? I have no clue what you're talking about. My posts have been about acquiring a position, not about earning a degree. Try reading please.

I'll rephrase since you always have some odd desire to pick apart what I wrote.

Do you actually think you'll get a position as an accountant or an engineer by shadowing?
You may get a "job" with them, but you'll be no more than an unqualified lackey for them.

If you want to become an accountant or an engineer , there's a correct way to do so.

Working for one for free for a week isn't it.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:
I'll rephrase since you always have some odd desire to pick apart what I wrote.

Do you actually think you'll get a position as an accountant or an engineer by shadowing?
You may get a "job" with them, but you'll be no more than an unqualified lackey for them.

If you want to become an accountant or an engineer , there's a correct way to do so.

Working for one for free for a week isn't it.

-I have not once said anything about not going to university to acquire proper training

-I have not once said anything about volunteering for merely a week

STOP putting words in my mouth if you actually want to have an adult conversation
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm not interested in getting into one of your estrogen fuelled literary battles.
I'm just saying if you want to get ahead in the game, you won't do it in a dead end warm body job.
You won't make much of yourself unless you're qualified to do something.
And I don't mean qualified from an online course or a 4 month class in a private school, or by getting a job somewhere coz they hired you after you worked for free for a stint.
Get a designation.

Unless you're happy making under 25 an hour forever, and being in the middle of a long line every time you're unemployed.
Which, with no qualifications, might be often.

And if that's the case, be prepared to work till you die.
Coz you'll have to.

Theres a smarter way.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:You won't make much of yourself unless you're qualified to do something.

I never said I'm unqualified to do the job for which I'm interning.

Bman wrote:Get a designation.

I never said I don't have a designation

The rest of your post isn't even worth responding to as it's just a bunch of nonsense and more personal attacks. You seem more interested in bashing my qualifications and discussing me personally instead of the topic. i'm pretty sure that's against thew rules, but carry on if you want. I want no part in this disaster any longer.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Jeez dude.
Calm down.
Its okay.
You get all pissy every time someone doesn't agree with you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

@Horgan:
When I write "you", i am not referring to you personally.
I am referring to anyone and everyone..
My apologies if I expressed myself incorrectly.

I've known so many in my life that were remarkably bright people with good work habits, integrity, personality etc etc, but always work hard just to have a life long struggle for money.
The common factor amongst them wasn't their lack of ability, but their lack of bona fide qualifications.

It's a matter of choice and what one expects from themselves, I guess.

If you're second in a loser line it's the same as being last.

I've seen thousands complain about the lack of work and the lack of good paying positions.
The circumstances that put them in that position were, for the most part, similar.

I have a friend who has an undergrad from ubc and a 2 year diploma from ouc.
She's bitter coz she's either unemployed or working a lackey job.
She's qualified for nothing except continung her education.
Her dip years imo were wasted. She coulda got her masters in the same time or less.

So close...

There's plenty of employment out there.
But those after low paying jobs are in the 1000s.
The competition is steep and will likely get worse.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm the best at what I do in this town and I'll be the last one out the door IF "we " close down .... Then I'll go back to being Mike the Roof Guy...

Get a skill and you'll NEVER be out of work .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It's hard to take anyone who selects Horgan as a hero seriously, therein lies the majority of the problem I'd say.

As far as your argument regarding livable wage goes, well boo hoo, there are plenty of people who have to hold down multiple jobs to survive, especially in this area.

If you think they can all afford to hold out for that perfect job, or shadow for free, you'd best think again.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

MAPearce wrote:I'm the best at what I do in this town and I'll be the last one out the door IF "we " close down .... Then I'll go back to being Mike the Roof Guy...

Get a skill and you'll NEVER be out of work .

A piece of me can't wait to shut my doors and relax, but there's so much I want to do. I doubt I'll ever be idle.
I'm currently teetering on the edge of learning a new skill.
I had it down to two choices, but I think I've made a desicion.
We just don't live long enough.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Old Techie wrote:It's hard to take anyone who selects Horgan as a hero seriously, therein lies the majority of the problem I'd say.

ok? I'm not the topic here and neither is Horgan. Again, you guys are pushing personal attacks instead of discussing the topic.

Old Techie wrote:As far as your argument regarding livable wage goes, well boo hoo, there are plenty of people who have to hold down multiple jobs to survive, especially in this area.

I never argued otherwise, but good job throwing in the 'boo-hoo' there to insult me.

Old Techie wrote:If you think they can all afford to hold out for that perfect job, or shadow for free, you'd best think again.

I never made this claim. Enough with putting words in my mouth. I said I and some other people I know are doing this and that it might be affecting unemployment stats.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bman wrote:@Horgan:
When I write "you", i am not referring to you personally.
I am referring to anyone and everyone..

:up:

Ditto.

I'm addressing it as suggestions given to the unemployed in general, given that's the gist of the topic.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Central Okanagan”