Glenmore Four Laning not Planned...

spooker

Re: Glenmore Four Laning not Planned...

Post by spooker »

While everyone is stuck in self-generated congestion I'll be pedalling by on the new cycling bypass next spring ...

In 2010 they told us they were going to widen the shoulders along Glenmore to extend the bike lanes past McKinley Landing but then the project just got dropped and when we asked about it they said they needed to divert the money to other roadways ...

The new bridge, the highway widening ... it showed that the congestion doesn't go away ... if you get Glenmore widened it would cause headaches for however long during construction, then maybe a few months of reprieve, then it'd be back to congestion as normal ...

If it's most important for you to live out in Lake Country then go ahead and live out there ... but understand what you're getting into and don't bring your entitled :cuss: back here and complain that you aren't getting everything you asked for because you're getting exactly what you asked for ... the writing is on the wall ... we have to be literate to read it and wise enough to make better choices for society and not just for the individual ...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

casey60 wrote: One suggestion that will help is to designate Glenmore to Winfield not allowing large trucks unless its local traffic only.

Might I suggest You pay 22-24% more for absolutely every purchase you make so as to
cover the cost of everyone's goods sitting instead of moving.

I do not get where people get off on saying big rigs hold them up anywhere along that route
except for when Northbound on the one and only hill at the McKinnley turn off, other than that one spot,
any rig has the ability, loaded or empty, to travel that route at the legal, set, speeds.

I get it, you don't like big rigs, just every darn thing in them....'cept the driver of course..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

The traffic around the northern end of Glenmore Rd from where it enters Lake Country is a mess. Those of us who drive that section or road know better than to use it from 3pm-6pm on any spring/summer/fall day. Sadly, my community is building a massive new development on Tyndall Rd which is going to add a lot more traffic. They have done so without a plan to improve that messy section of Glenmore. Really the source of the backups is the Glenmore/HW97/Beaver Lake Rd intersection.

I've made the mistake of being in that traffic line up a few times and one time I was backed up to the middle of the dried up little white chalky looking lake. It took 45 minutes to get to the intersection. I remember the amount of time it took because I had to pee, like stat.

If you think I peed my pants, turn to page 4.
If you think I didn't, turn to Page 8

Page 8 - You die.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's been more than a couple of comments regarding Lake Country etc. residents but I know of more than a few West Kelowna residents that use Glenmore Road to bypass the highway.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:There's been more than a couple of comments regarding Lake Country etc. residents but I know of more than a few West Kelowna residents that use Glenmore Road to bypass the highway.

Everyone trying to get to Winfield/Vernon from Kelowna south uses Glenmore to bypass the highway. Even callling it a highway is a joke - it's city street they keep trying to squish more and more cars onto that is not even governed by the City. It's Provincial but it is still nothing more than a street through a town that is too dense (brain-wise) to start rattling cages non-stop down in Victoria to get a bypass. All we do is make sure to give out development permits so we have more people, more cars, more congestion, more headaches, more grrrr
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

RustyCrayon wrote:I completely agree! I have been stuck in gridlock on Glenmore after major accidents have closed the highway. There is no other way to get from Kelowna to Lake Country (or vise versa).

The intersection at Seaton Road is an absolute nightmare, as well as at highway 97 in the afternoons and evenings, especially during the summer. It's already beyond frustrating and things will only get worse once the new development near Chase Road and the rest of Lakestone (1365 new homes) are completed.

dle wrote:It doesn't read to me like Grandan is in favour of improving Glenmore, but it reads like you might be to aid congestion along the route so can you please clarify what you are completely agreeing to in Grandan's post?

Maybe I'm still a little sleepy and not engaging my brain here.... :sleepdeprived: (maybe you are not even referring to Grandan's post!)

It would be helpful if posters were to use the quote option to clarify what is being referenced. Sometimes when you respond to a current comment, another comments sneaks in line ahead of you and causes confusion. I am not opposed to upgrading Glenmore Road, what I am opposed to is having Kelowna taxpayers footing the bill so that Lake Country taxpayers can enjoy lower taxes at our expense. If the money to improve the road comes from the province of BC and Canada I am in favour for the stated reasons. It has been established that Glenmore Road benefits the residents of Lake Country more than the residents of Kelowna so it is important that Lake Country contribute their fair share rather than blame Kelowna for the situation. I have no doubt that Lake country cannot afford to upgrade Glenmore given their slim resources.
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

From where I sit Grandan seems to possess the typical Kelowna attitude of if it's not in our best interests then screw Lake Country.

Apparently the gridlock on Glenmore is Lake Country's problem as they feel it's all our residents using the road.

I guess some need a refresher in where exactly the City of Kelowna boundaries are located, as in they include a number of areas that are being highly developed currently such as McKinley Beach, and another going in toward Finch Road, at least half of which lies within Kelowna City limits.

Let's also not take into consideration the fact that the Industrial area out here, lies about 80% within Kelowna City limits also, (just one more example of Kelowna's greed and self serving attitude) and is responsible for much of the commercial traffic on Glenmore Road, all those UPS trucks as but one small example.

Contrary to what they think Kelowna is responsible for addressing the needs of that road, not to mention it's safety, which most of the winter is dicey at best, due to it's topography and lack of sun on many of the dangerous curves, making for a great black ice recipe.

I feel it comes down to a simple matter of misplaced priorities, given that Kelowna has no problem coming up with millions upon millions to purchase beachfront properties along the lakeshore, yet has no plans to even look at something like Glenmore Road and its challenges.

I guess what many say about the Mission getting preferential treatment is true.

Unlike the many other examples, of poor, or non existent, planning on City of Kelowna's part, Glenmore should be looked at now, while land and other issues pertaining to four lane expansion, are still reasonably affordable, as opposed to waiting until everything is developed and then facing the associated challenges and costs.

Too bad their history shows that Kelowna is incapable of such foresight, and would rather cater to the whims of the lakefront privileged class.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
mrwoz

Post by mrwoz »

Its just like the mentality of Site C dam, the same with four lanes on Glenmore. Right now the traffic in Kelowna that includes
Lake Country is a mess. Oh dear dont build it....If tax payers wait 5 years you will be paying double or triple, get the road built for gawds sake, and finish Site C, if we cant use the power export it to our American Gluttons. Build the road while the Liberals are big on infrastructure, its easy math get on it !!!!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

youjustcomplain wrote:The traffic around the northern end of Glenmore Rd from where it enters Lake Country is a mess. Those of us who drive that section or road know better than to use it from 3pm-6pm on any spring/summer/fall day. Sadly, my community is building a massive new development on Tyndall Rd which is going to add a lot more traffic. They have done so without a plan to improve that messy section of Glenmore. Really the source of the backups is the Glenmore/HW97/Beaver Lake Rd intersection.

I've made the mistake of being in that traffic line up a few times and one time I was backed up to the middle of the dried up little white chalky looking lake. It took 45 minutes to get to the intersection. I remember the amount of time it took because I had to pee, like stat.

Not to mention Okanagan Centre Road is a shambles that will need fixing/improving.

Lake Country won't be happy until it is 25,000-30,000 people, overpopulated, with an awful, noisy, grotty, congested quality of life. The next "little Kelowna".
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I agree that it is not just Lake Country using the road. I'm sure there are hundreds of Vernon residents that commute that road every day. Adding 1400 houses at Lakestone is going to make it even more brutal. Maybe the Lakestone developers should have to pay to fix the Intersection where Glenmore meets the highway? Or at least earmark all of the development charges for that Intersection. Or is that a Provincial responsibility?

In terms of Kelowna, why isn't the HOV lane the left lane like it is in every other jurisdiction? There is always a left turn lane anywhere there is a need to turn left. There are literally no right turn lanes except at major intersections so every time someone turns right into a business the entire lane slows down. The HOV is literally useless. I have never seen it move faster than any other lane.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Grandan wrote:It would be helpful if posters were to use the quote option to clarify what is being referenced. Sometimes when you respond to a current comment, another comments sneaks in line ahead of you and causes confusion. I am not opposed to upgrading Glenmore Road, what I am opposed to is having Kelowna taxpayers footing the bill so that Lake Country taxpayers can enjoy lower taxes at our expense. If the money to improve the road comes from the province of BC and Canada I am in favour for the stated reasons. It has been established that Glenmore Road benefits the residents of Lake Country more than the residents of Kelowna so it is important that Lake Country contribute their fair share rather than blame Kelowna for the situation. I have no doubt that Lake country cannot afford to upgrade Glenmore given their slim resources.

Just think of it as pay back for the City of Kelowna screwing Lake Country out of the tax rich industrial area of Winfield.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
KreativeSynergy

Re: Glenmore

Post by KreativeSynergy »

KreativeSynergy wrote:As a resident of North Kelowna/ Lake Country I find the lack of attention to Glenmore Road appalling. I am appalled at reading today that there are NO plans to improve the road, not even a study scheduled. Meanwhile they allow hundreds more houses onto the road area which will stop the flow even further. By the next tourist season, It might be faster to walk that road, let along what happens to the highway intersection at Beaver Lake and Hwy 97 over the summer. Residents and people majorly affected by the road might need to protest in a very public manner.. The problems are only going to get worse and the city is very much in favor of development of many of the single lane sections of Glenmore. This may need to have a visual protest. I think of what happens when there is an accident on the Highway.. it takes people hours to get home because they have to go around. I bet public focus on the issue may be the only way to bring attention to an issue that affects the safety and health of residents of both communities.

Please keep in Mind that Kelowna extended their zone to Beaver Lake Road encompassing the Trailer Parks and the Industry.. so high density residential and industry. So technically I believe most of the upgrade would be in Kelowna Proper. Kelowna decided that all the industry in Winfield was to be part of Kelowna. They have reaped the benefit of taxes for many years.. why not also service those businesses with better transportation routes.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

casey60 wrote:Bypass will never happen. Businesses don't want it as they are afraid they loose money. Roads and highways are built for political reasons. Not for moving traffic efficiently. One suggestion that will help is to designate Glenmore to Winfield not allowing large trucks unless its local traffic only.

Ha ha but many businesses along Harvey are already suffering because you cannot access them from the other side of highway without looping around and then when you come out you have no choice but to head back in the wrong direction. This alone puts me off going into some places if im heading in the wrong direction. I've seem people pulling illegal u turns at Spall so they can get into the Esso/Tim Hortons gas station!
Maybe if there was a decent bypass they could alter Harvey to make acess to ALL businesses better.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

dodgerdodge wrote:
casey60 wrote:Bypass will never happen. Businesses don't want it as they are afraid they loose money. Roads and highways are built for political reasons. Not for moving traffic efficiently. One suggestion that will help is to designate Glenmore to Winfield not allowing large trucks unless its local traffic only.

Ha ha but many businesses along Harvey are already suffering because you cannot access them from the other side of highway without looping around and then when you come out you have no choice but to head back in the wrong direction. This alone puts me off going into some places if im heading in the wrong direction. I've seem people pulling illegal u turns at Spall so they can get into the Esso/Tim Hortons gas station!
Maybe if there was a decent bypass they could alter Harvey to make acess to ALL businesses better.

Harvey should have had service lanes running parallel to each side of it.

But NO - our deaf dumb and blind goofus hillbilly city planners took care of it. Fast forward: chaos and congestion.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

just out of curiosity how many of the experts on here have applied for a job at the cities planning dept?

Return to “Central Okanagan”