47008

Public Park, Private Funds

Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 5th, 2017, 6:18 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

What a waste of lakefront. This section of shoreline is posted as unsafe to swim. The City of Kelowna would be better off developing a boat launch which is sorely needed. Funding can come from the sale of the launch beside the Eldorado. That launch needs dredging on a continual basis due to its close proximity to Mission Creek.
We See
We Judge

motorhomebabe likes this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2124
Likes: 1481 posts
Liked in: 968 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Ken7 » Dec 5th, 2017, 9:06 pm

I think the City should make it a park, they purchased if for that reason. I do not wish to see privatization on the boat launch.

This City is so boat negative it is sad. That lake should be used as a drawing card as the smaller cent res such as Peachland have done. Actually sad to see the lack of options for those who boat.
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6084
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2134 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 5th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Ken7 wrote:I think the City should make it a park, they purchased if for that reason. I do not wish to see privatization on the boat launch.

This City is so boat negative it is sad. That lake should be used as a drawing card as the smaller cent res such as Peachland have done. Actually sad to see the lack of options for those who boat.


The launch beside the Eldorado might as well be private. It caters to the hotel and that concierge business. Sell it to the hotel and build a new one that doesn't need dredging as often. Cedar avenue is a great place for one. The water there is polluted anyway.
We See
We Judge

normaM likes this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2124
Likes: 1481 posts
Liked in: 968 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby CapitalB » Dec 6th, 2017, 9:36 am

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

What a waste of lakefront. This section of shoreline is posted as unsafe to swim. The City of Kelowna would be better off developing a boat launch which is sorely needed. Funding can come from the sale of the launch beside the Eldorado. That launch needs dredging on a continual basis due to its close proximity to Mission Creek.


So your proposing we take this land earmarked for public use and essentially make it another rich people only area? Thats already more than three quarters of the shore around kelowna.
Lets get down to brass tacks and sourced facts.

All politicians lie.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Fledgling
 
Posts: 155
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby mb1000 » Dec 6th, 2017, 11:48 am

The City claims they don't have the money to improve this area, yet they just spent over 2 million to improve Ethel street from the highway to Sutherland Ave? You tell me, which area sees more tourist traffic? Which area is more central to a growing and important neighbourhood in the city? The Cedar Avenue/Abbott Street area is slowly degrading into a slum and our city council turns a blind eye to the deterioration happening there.
It's easy to be pro-abortion when you're not the one being aborted.
User avatar
mb1000
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2006, 6:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby mb1000 » Dec 6th, 2017, 11:52 am

Boat Launch, NO. Dog Park, NO. Enough with these lame ideas that will only turn the area into a gong show. Either package and sell it to a developer that will be required to retain public access to the lake (similar to the area near the dolphins), or go whole hog and build a public park. We've waited long enough for our neighbourhood to finally be cleaned up.
It's easy to be pro-abortion when you're not the one being aborted.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
mb1000
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2006, 6:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 6th, 2017, 1:30 pm

mb1000 wrote:Boat Launch, NO. Dog Park, NO. Enough with these lame ideas that will only turn the area into a gong show. Either package and sell it to a developer that will be required to retain public access to the lake (similar to the area near the dolphins), or go whole hog and build a public park. We've waited long enough for our neighbourhood to finally be cleaned up.


Why would you want access to shoreline that has been posted as unfit for swimming?

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/213275/Public-park-private-funds

What a waste of lakefront. This section of shoreline is posted as unsafe to swim. The City of Kelowna would be better off developing a boat launch which is sorely needed. Funding can come from the sale of the launch beside the Eldorado. That launch needs dredging on a continual basis due to its close proximity to Mission Creek.


MrBrocksEgo wrote:So your proposing we take this land earmarked for public use and essentially make it another rich people only area? Thats already more than three quarters of the shore around kelowna.


Nobody said that the boat launch would be private. The existing boat launch beside the Eldorado is public, and needs to be dredged every few years. sell it and stop throwing money at it. Cedar Ave location is much better.
We See
We Judge
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2124
Likes: 1481 posts
Liked in: 968 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Old Techie » Dec 6th, 2017, 1:48 pm

mb1000 wrote:The City claims they don't have the money to improve this area, yet they just spent over 2 million to improve Ethel street from the highway to Sutherland Ave? You tell me, which area sees more tourist traffic? Which area is more central to a growing and important neighbourhood in the city? The Cedar Avenue/Abbott Street area is slowly degrading into a slum and our city council turns a blind eye to the deterioration happening there.


Oh give me a break. The City of Kelowna has frittered away more money on the pampered lakeshore elite than anywhere else.

They just put in a new bridge over Mission Creek and redid the whole Lakeshore Road corridor along there.

They've spent millions on bicycle paths, and purchasing properties to expand existing parks or create new ones.

To an average observer it's bordering on obsession really, especially when there are so many other areas seeing nowhere near this level of attention.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2513
Likes: 2109 posts
Liked in: 3431 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby alfonoso » Dec 6th, 2017, 1:56 pm

The City of Kelowna bought the land for Bluebird Park (on the lake, just south of Mission Creek) about 2 years ago. It will be a fantastic addition to our waterfront parks. The houses that were on that site are already demolished and the area has been cleared and levelled - all by the city. Now the city has announced that it will build an interim public-use space there until they get around to building the actual park. Compare this series of events with what has happened at the planned park site near Cedar Avenue. The city has owned these properties for over 20 years, and they say it'll be another 10 years until a park will be built there, unless KLO Neighbourhood Association raises all of the necessary 1-2 million dollars. The city has the money for necessary work in one park within 2 years, but doesn't have it for another one for 30 years!

KLONA offering to do what the city has failed to do, is admirable. However, PLANKelowna thinks that it's the city's job to build parks. At Kelowna City Hall, on Dec. 4, several councilors voiced their concerns that if groups raise funds to partially pay for parks, would they then expect to dictate that park's design and use.

The federal, provincial and municipal economies are booming and condos are popping up like mushrooms. Customarily, real-estate developers pay for social amenities like local roads, sewers, parks, etc. when their new buildings cause many new service-requiring residents to move into an area.

Why does there seldom seem to be enough money in the city's budget to build the dozens of undeveloped parks in Kelowna? We think that council is not demanding enough money from developers.
alfonoso
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mar 7th, 2016, 1:21 pm

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Gilchy » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Specifically, and only, addressing the boat launch idea - isn't the lake there extremely shallow? How would that work for a launch?
User avatar
Gilchy
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 986
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 398 posts
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby CapitalB » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:
Nobody said that the boat launch would be private. The existing boat launch beside the Eldorado is public, and needs to be dredged every few years. sell it and stop throwing money at it. Cedar Ave location is much better.


What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.
Lets get down to brass tacks and sourced facts.

All politicians lie.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Fledgling
 
Posts: 155
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Scrobins94 » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:19 pm

In particular I would prefer it be developed into a public park. We don't need more boat launches. In fact, I would prefer fewer boats so we can enjoy swimming and floating around without any additional wake created by the boaters who think the lakes are theirs to enjoy only. :fence:
Scrobins94
 
Posts: 94
Likes: 137 posts
Liked in: 64 posts
Joined: Jan 15th, 2017, 4:42 am

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:30 pm

MrBrocksEgo wrote:What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.


So the guy that wants to go out fishing in his little aluminum boat has extra money?
We See
We Judge
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2124
Likes: 1481 posts
Liked in: 968 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 7th, 2017, 7:39 am

Take the money they want to waste on global warming and gender neutral bs. Invest it in the park. Should be done in no time.
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2941
Likes: 4839 posts
Liked in: 1651 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Public Park, Private Funds

Postby LTD » Dec 7th, 2017, 8:05 am

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:
Nobody said that the boat launch would be private. The existing boat launch beside the Eldorado is public, and needs to be dredged every few years. sell it and stop throwing money at it. Cedar Ave location is much better.


What kind of people have boats? People that have extra money. You know which people don't have boats? Poor people.

lol believe me if you own a boat you have no extra money

3 people like this post.
LTD
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2883
Likes: 1940 posts
Liked in: 2042 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 2:34 pm

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TreeGuy and 10 guests