Kelowna violent crime

Bpeep
Mindquad

Kelowna violent crime

Post by Bpeep »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213737
Another loser robbing someone.
A bank the other day.

I guarantee both robberies were committed by addicts.

It seems like robberies in this town are becoming common.
If they were able to lock them up for 20 years I wonder how much a deterrent it would be.
At least Corcan could keep them busy working making things.
And maybe 20 years is enough to clean them up.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna violent crime

Post by CapitalB »

But then we're just throwing money away locking people up for decades. What if we could spend the same amount or less on finding ways for them to live without being shady pieces of human waste?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

as :cuss: holes will always be as :cuss: holes, nice to see this as :cuss: hole gave an excellent photo.

keep dreaming MrBrocksEgo
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Bman wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-213737-1-.htm#213737
Another loser robbing someone.
A bank the other day.

I guarantee both robberies were committed by addicts.

It seems like robberies in this town are becoming common.
If they were able to lock them up for 20 years I wonder how much a deterrent it would be.
At least Corcan could keep them busy working making things.
And maybe 20 years is enough to clean them up.

Your opinion is not proof of anything .you cant guarentee anything but ignorance on subject of addiction. And until your protesting infront of a liquor store your opinion isnt much more than beaking off with no clue
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:as :cuss: holes will always be as :cuss: holes, nice to see this as :cuss: hole gave an excellent photo.

Well yeah.. Though arguably if they had enough money to do crack and stay off the street some amount of them would end up not trying to rob people.I suppose they could just up the amount of crack they do but at some point that gets pretty fatal, theres got to be a middle ground somewhere.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you think someone on crack can hold on to a job , the reason he lost his job was most likely because of his addiction
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:as :cuss: holes will always be as :cuss: holes, nice to see this as :cuss: hole gave an excellent photo.

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Well yeah.. Though arguably if they had enough money to do crack and stay off the street some amount of them would end up not trying to rob people.I suppose they could just up the amount of crack they do but at some point that gets pretty fatal, theres got to be a middle ground somewhere.

I can't think of any employer who would hire someone known to be addicted to drugs or alcohol (just an accident waiting to happen). Of course those who get addicted after being hired, do have a little bit of protection (of course any employer can have lay-offs & never call back).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Who said anything about giving them a job. I was suggesting giving them a universal basic income and seeing if they imploded or floated
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Who said anything about giving them a job. I was suggesting giving them a universal basic income and seeing if they imploded or floated

Well, we have that it's called welfare.
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 11th, 2017, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Bman wrote:If they were able to lock them up for 20 years I wonder how much a deterrent it would be.

Probably less than you think. It would deter the ones who think they'll get caught...but if they are indeed addicts as you suggest (and I agree), nothing is going to deter them. Addicts need their fix like non-addicts need oxygen.

Besides, the point of any crime, no matter how dumb the criminal, is to get away with it. It's like a speeding ticket. No one who chooses to speed, thinks about the possible fine, and decides they're okay with paying it. Those who choose to speed, are banking on not getting caught.

For situations like this that could lead to jail time, the risk of punishment and embarrassment deters law-abiding people who might be tempted. Those who have moved into a criminal lifestyle are no longer wired that way.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Take them for a ride drop them off on the connector now walk back and think....
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Who said anything about giving them a job. I was suggesting giving them a universal basic income and seeing if they imploded or floated

This is not Sweden.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:But then we're just throwing money away locking people up for decades. What if we could spend the same amount or less on finding ways for them to live without being shady pieces of human waste?

I'm sure Corcan will have them pay their way by keeping them busy making mdf furniture .
Corcan is getting pretty profitable.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:

Well, we that it's called welfare.

Thats not the same thing. Welfare isn't a livable amount even if you don't do crack its barely enough for the cheapest rental unit, with maybe a small amount left over for whatever. I've spoken with welfare crackheads before, they basically use their welfare check as a monthly investment in the crack stock market.

I'm suggesting that giving them such a small amount almost enables their lifestyle. Welfare gives them enough for crack and nothing else, if say they (and other non crack users) were given enough for the necessities of left with a slim comfort zone on top. Which for the general crack user would hopefully be enough for crack and a normal living situation.

On paper this would result in less crime by them being able to ruin their lives on government money.

Also before the cries of "but mah tax money!" get to crazy: These people are already a burden on our tax dollars, keeping someone in prison costs around $100k a year and when they get out they basically just go back in because they have no value as an ex con. Any way you spin it just giving ~$20k (which is a way high amount) a year would cost less than that.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Bman wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:But then we're just throwing money away locking people up for decades. What if we could spend the same amount or less on finding ways for them to live without being shady pieces of human waste?

I'm sure Corcan will have them pay their way by keeping them busy making mdf furniture .
Corcan is getting pretty profitable.

That always just feels like slavery to me though. I mean sure they're technically prisoners with jobs, but when you get down to it whats the difference there.

Return to “Central Okanagan”