47008
50254

Robbed , Hit with Club

Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby LoWd0Wn » Dec 12th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Are you kidding me!! Released!! And the other, possible pending charges?? What does it take for RCMP to hold people accountable? That person could have been drastically injured. And they were robbing him or his property. Unbelievable!!
There should have been charges laid and held for bail.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -golf-club

4 people like this post.
LoWd0Wn
 
Posts: 29
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Oct 6th, 2005, 10:20 am
Location: local yokal

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby dmctighe » Dec 12th, 2017, 5:14 pm

I guess he told the Police that he was sorry ... or something. Unbelievable is correct.

5 people like this post.
dmctighe
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 16 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2015, 11:20 pm

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 12th, 2017, 7:42 pm

It is the laws of the land legislated by our government that rule how the RCMP do their job. Do you think the RCMP give these guys a hug and a handshake when they release them?

Our laws are far from tough on crime.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Übergod
 
Posts: 1608
Likes: 662 posts
Liked in: 1398 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby Fancy » Dec 12th, 2017, 7:50 pm

LoWd0Wn wrote:Are you kidding me!! Released!! And the other, possible pending charges?? What does it take for RCMP to hold people accountable? That person could have been drastically injured. And they were robbing him or his property. Unbelievable!!
There should have been charges laid and held for bail.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -golf-club

It's not up to the RCMP to hold people accountable - that's up to the judicial system.
How is it that so many don't understand how the Canadian legal system works?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/just ... ng-charges
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

HoboJo likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43915
Likes: 1030 posts
Liked in: 5223 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby gsc » Dec 12th, 2017, 9:52 pm

The problem is our legal system sucks the big one and is out dated. This just go's to show crime pays. What's gonna happen if you get caught nothing but a smack on the wrist.
You don't need my help looking stupid! Your doing a wicked job at that your self.

You just started a war you won't win. Hope it was worth it.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
gsc
Board Meister
 
Posts: 421
Likes: 609 posts
Liked in: 317 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Location: Kelowna B.C.

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby dogspoiler » Dec 13th, 2017, 9:24 am

He's lucky he didn't defend himself, he would have been headed for court.
We are all expected to cower under our beds and not interfere with the criminals.

6 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16136
Likes: 219 posts
Liked in: 2141 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2009, 3:32 am

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby 36Drew » Dec 13th, 2017, 12:13 pm

dogspoiler wrote:He's lucky he didn't defend himself, he would have been headed for court.
We are all expected to cower under our beds and not interfere with the criminals.


If you are on your property (home/dwelling/domicile - even driveway) you are not expected to flee. Canada has had, by ruling since 2011, castle doctrine. Unlike the states, force must be "reasonable and necessary" - you're not allowed to kill if a non-lethal option is available.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/homeowners-not-required-to-flee-intruders-court

The ruling — coming only days after an Eastern Ontario father and son apparently confronted a 41-year-old who was attempting to break into their home, and as Ontario Provincial Police ponder whether to lay charges in the alleged burglar’s death — confirms Canadian homeowners can take violent steps to protect their home.

“You’re expected to be absolutely safe in your home, you may not expect to be safe in a gas station or a store, but in your home, that’s something that’s a given,” says Dahn Batchelor, a Mississsauga, Ont.-based criminologist.

“If someone breaks into your home, it seems to me that he does so at his own risk.”

In most cases, claiming self defence after a violent encounter can be difficult when it could have been possible for the assailant simply to run away. In the home, however, courts have declared the rules are different.

“The law is clear that flight from one’s own home is not a reasonable option for self-preservation, and that the defence of self-defence will still apply even if there is another way out of the house,” reads a 1998 decision by the British Columbia Court of Appeals.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2365
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 477 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby the truth » Dec 13th, 2017, 12:28 pm

dogspoiler wrote:He's lucky he didn't defend himself, he would have been headed for court.
We are all expected to cower under our beds and not interfere with the criminals.


according to many leftwingers soft on crime you are correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13083
Likes: 7913 posts
Liked in: 4672 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby my5cents » Dec 13th, 2017, 12:34 pm

gsc wrote:The problem is our legal system sucks the big one and is out dated. This just go's to show crime pays. What's gonna happen if you get caught nothing but a smack on the wrist.

Outdated ?

Our system of pre-trial release provisions, called the bail reform act was instituted in the 70's, is deemed fairly progresive.

The basis being that a person charged with an offense is innocent until proven guilty and should not be held in custody unless justified.

Released, unlike the US system, is not based on one's ability to raise bail money.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3260
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby Bsuds » Dec 13th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I would rather see it based on

A: How serious the crime was.
B: Was it a repeat offender.
C: What are the chances this person can be rehabilitated.

We need to help rehabilitate those who can and incarcerate those who can't.

Drug users should be immediately put in a recovery program even if it means spending a pile of money, in the long run it would pay for itself many times over.

I am really tired with seeing stories that someone who has been arrested has umpteen previous convictions! How much is this costing society to be soft on these types?

Enough is enough!
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41342
Likes: 7452 posts
Liked in: 9457 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby my5cents » Dec 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Bsuds wrote:I would rather see it based on

A: How serious the crime was.
B: Was it a repeat offender.
C: What are the chances this person can be rehabilitated.

We need to help rehabilitate those who can and incarcerate those who can't.

Drug users should be immediately put in a recovery program even if it means spending a pile of money, in the long run it would pay for itself many times over.

I am really tired with seeing stories that someone who has been arrested has umpteen previous convictions! How much is this costing society to be soft on these types?

Enough is enough!

What you've outlined are mostly sentencing considerations.

Pretrial release is, of course public safety, likelihood the accused will attend court (determined by history of appearing or failing to appear), links to the community (ie, not a visitor from far away)

Only certain types of criminal offences qualify as well.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3260
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby Bman » Dec 13th, 2017, 8:28 pm

The problem with considerations for sentencing is the offenders lawyer more often than not plays the dysfunctional childhood, abuse or god card and it's effective to shave time.
Why do indigenous people get their race considered in sentencing?
Sounds pretty racist to me.
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bman
Mindquad
 
Posts: 27622
Likes: 11091 posts
Liked in: 8671 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby Temet Nosce » Dec 13th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Bman wrote:The problem with considerations for sentencing is the offenders lawyer more often than not plays the dysfunctional childhood, abuse or god card and it's effective to shave time.
Why do indigenous people get their race considered in sentencing?
Sounds pretty racist to me.



R. v. Gladue
And overrepresentation
User avatar
Temet Nosce
Board Meister
 
Posts: 595
Likes: 666 posts
Liked in: 451 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2015, 10:36 am

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby dogspoiler » Dec 14th, 2017, 9:20 am

Temet Nosce wrote:
Bman wrote:The problem with considerations for sentencing is the offenders lawyer more often than not plays the dysfunctional childhood, abuse or god card and it's effective to shave time.
Why do indigenous people get their race considered in sentencing?
Sounds pretty racist to me.



R. v. Gladue
And overrepresentation


The first is an attempt to give them a break.
The second is the result of giving them a break.

Bman likes this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16136
Likes: 219 posts
Liked in: 2141 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2009, 3:32 am

Re: Robbed , Hit with Club

Postby westbankkid » Dec 14th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Don't blame the police, blame some of the a*shole Judges. There are lots out there. Bloody bleeding hearts. There was one case on the lower mainland last nite where this jerk killed a fellow on a bicycle. He got 3 or 4 months in jail. Beginning to see more and more offenders driving fancy cars. His was a mercedes. I guess money talks sometimes.... Just my opinion.
User avatar
westbankkid
Übergod
 
Posts: 1228
Likes: 313 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2005, 1:10 pm
Location: WESTBANK

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests