What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What is the total of new Townhomes in Glenmore 1000+??

Post by Grandan »

Terris wrote:
Grandan wrote: The city is marching north and the infrastructure to support it is also is also moving north.
Driving along Hwy 97 N toward Sexsmith from McCurdy Road the new highway widening is spectacular especially with the new Porche dealership.
Spokane also does not have an an Agricultural Land Reserve which is the fly in the ointment of Kelowna. Where you going to put these big box stores, when it is all farmland?

Terris wrote:Talk about flies in the ointment...

I'm of the opinion that developers are the flies in the Kelowna ointment.

Which would be a more soothing balm to the traffic enraged soul, which has been snatched away by death, in the most unnatural way, at a Kelowna traffic intersection?

A. Pastoral living in the former Okanagan farmland like once existed in Glenmore and throughout the valley or;

B. All the wonderful the "developments" , like Porsche dealerships, that have literally paved the paradise the once existed here?

Land "developers" have been given carte blanche here by a succession of Mayor Smiley McGladhands and lackey councillors, and all this unchecked development is starting to shed it's lipstick and reveal that true costs of rampant development.

Homelessness, increased crime and policing costs, increasing taxes, clogged traffic, increased pollution, unaffordable housing, unavailable rental accommodations etc., are the benefits for the for the working poor; while "developers" sit high in the surrounding hills in their baronial estates looking down on the masses hopelessly toiling away beneath them.

Short of turning back time, I think it's time that every developer should be held responsible, in perpetuity, for any subsequent future infrastructure changes and costs associated to these developments instead of foisting them onto the tax paying public.

You wannabe the big wheel "developer' here than step up and pay the costs of your long term mess.

The development game here in Kelowna is really just a MLM pyramid scheme that the real estate "industry" would have you believe is of HUGE benefit for all who choose to be duped and buy in.

We can't all be millionaire property flippers, making unrealistically obscene profits; it's time to get a grip on all this...

this...

"development"...

People not living in houses built by developers please raise your hand.

All people not working in businesses that cater to builders please raise your hand.

People driving cars that were not purchased from a dealership please raise your hand.

People who do not buy their groceries from a big box stores please raise your hand.

How many hands up not up yet?
Waste not
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I always get frustrated by comments that place the importance of cars and traffic over the importance of homes.
Tack

Post by Tack »

lightspeed wrote:
Tack wrote:I think the mass of multi-family developments in Glenmore is great! There is the large and expanding shopping area up on Kane which goes well to create a central area for a dense population who can walk to shopping, schools and potentially work. John Hindle Drive is being completed soon which should ease traffic in a few areas. What could use some work is the intersection of Kane and Glenmore which, with Drysdale opened up, is becoming too busy to handle all these little entrances and exits. Kelowna doesn't have enough room for people to keep building single family homes; creating a more dense community like that is great for the businesses, families and the city.

That area is now a ghetto.

It will remain a ghetto.

Glenmore used to be beautiful, quiet and safe.

Now it's a gongshow. It will always be a gongshow.

"Progress".

Seriously?? You think that area of Glenmore is ghetto? Clearly you haven't left the care home in a while because that is not what a ghetto looks like. Home ownership for young families, growing businesses and low crime is not a ghetto...

Maybe it's time you move up to Beaverdell you're so scared of "Progress". Face the facts, people are moving to the Okanagan and Kelowna; we can't continue urban sprawl of single family homes because this won't meet the needs of the future. SFH are also wasteful for energy and space. I'd rather see more larger central parks than unused front-yards that are only exist to be mowed weekly and suck up water.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Tack wrote:Seriously?? You think that area of Glenmore is ghetto? Clearly you haven't left the care home in a while because that is not what a ghetto looks like. Home ownership for young families, growing businesses and low crime is not a ghetto...

Maybe it's time you move up to Beaverdell you're so scared of "Progress". Face the facts, people are moving to the Okanagan and Kelowna; we can't continue urban sprawl of single family homes because this won't meet the needs of the future. SFH are also wasteful for energy and space. I'd rather see more larger central parks than unused front-yards that are only exist to be mowed weekly and suck up water.

Another hippy idealistic Basran-voting millennial dreamer who wants a 600 sf condo.

Nothing wrong with Beaverdell. Beats row upon row of wood framed condo hovels inhabited by drug dealers and single cell amoeba.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^Well lightspeed, you do have a way with words.^^^^

I also agree with the words written (without the politico slam)

impo, matters not who the Captain is...course is set....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

Lightspeed wrote: Nothing wrong with Beaverdell. Beats row upon row of wood framed condo hovels inhabited by drug dealers and single cell amoeba.
I like that post, it rings true
One can always reason with reason.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Collison course.

OH, and the more townhouses, the more my place will be worth when I retire.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote: when I retire.

Hang on Kitty, Just another 27 yrs to go.....

:runforlife:

:D
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Tack wrote:Seriously?? You think that area of Glenmore is ghetto? Clearly you haven't left the care home in a while because that is not what a ghetto looks like. Home ownership for young families, growing businesses and low crime is not a ghetto...

lightspeed wrote:Another hippy idealistic Basran-voting millennial dreamer who wants a 600 sf condo.

Nothing wrong with Beaverdell. Beats row upon row of wood framed condo hovels inhabited by drug dealers and single cell amoeba.

That is one hell of a commute!
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

dirtybiker wrote:
Queen K wrote: when I retire.

Hang on Kitty, Just another 27 yrs to go.....

:runforlife:

:D

Twelve, but I love you for making me way younger. :sunshine: :heart:

I am horrified by how many people think that 1000 townhomes in Glenmore somehow solves something. All it does is create more traffic woes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I live in N. Glenmore. The townhomes being constructed are a good use of land that is within walking distance to elementary schools, a middle school and a school bus transport to KSS. They are within walking distance to grocery stores, drug stores, coffee shops, pet stores, banks, dentists, doctors and so on. They will be within walking distance to the new community complex and sports fields. There is also respectable bus service, especially during peak times. I can't think of a better place to put higher density housing like townhomes.

(I live in a house and will be impacted by some of the development. But from a practical viewpoint I agree with the townhomes being built.)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:
I am horrified by how many people think that 1000 townhomes in Glenmore somehow solves something. All it does is create more traffic woes.

It depends on how you look at it.
For the student planning on attending UBCO for 4 years the apartment in Glenmore looks more attractive than other areas of the city because of it's close proximity. There will be direct bus access via Glenmore Road and John Hindle Dr.

There are now many transportation options including bicycle to get from Glenmore to UBCO, the proper bike paths will be there.

Would you prefer that our young people not get educated? Do you want them to live in dorms on campus?

Some students have kids who need to go to school. There is an acute shortage of housing, There are schools nearby in Glenmore.
Do you think that horrify might be overstating it?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=horriied ... e&ie=UTF-8
Horrify
fill with horror; shock greatly.
"they were horrified by the very idea"
synonyms: frighten, scare, terrify, petrify, paralyze, alarm, panic, terrorize, fill with fear, scare someone out of their wits, frighten the living daylights out of, make someone's hair stand on end, make someone's blood run cold, give someone the creeps
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You took exception to the word "horrified" but I take exception to the idea I don't want people to get educated. We're even.

I'm looking at traffic capacity. I hate it when people argue about the handy dandy bus system we have going because it's neither handy nor dandy. Until it is, we have traffic jams and insufficient infrastructure.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Huh, who knew, makes it sound so much better now, these people that
move in there can walk wherever they go.

Everything they could ever want is right at their doorstep..

Perfect.

Guess the developer can get some set-back variances now as they will not require
any parking.

Since owning a vehicle while living there would be redundant.

eta; truthfully this will make next to zero impact on my life,
just cost everyone else more to get their 'stuff' :smt045
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

New builds are happening all over Kelowna. Glenmore is finally getting some expansion too, and that isn't actually a bad thing. The building going up on the corner of Kane and Valley will be rental only - which is sorely needed. You don't hear much about the rental only buildings, but they are happening.

The traffic problem is a combination of geography and short-sightedness by the city council. I'm sure there exists the possibility of alternate routes but that will require study (costs money) and expropriation (costs money, ruffles feathers), and then the cost of building the infrastructure (immense) followed by the inconvenience of the actual implementation (cue outrage and hissy fits).

We're already having issues with the whole "one way in, one way out" problem; remember the 2003 fire? Glenmore/Clifton are currently in danger of the same disaster. Did city hall do something about the Upper Mission access problem? Will it do something about the Glenmore/Wilden/McKinley access problem? Doubtful.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”