Jail for shooting face...

dle
Lord of the Board

Jail for shooting face...

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213959

Matherly was given presentence custody credit at 1.5 times actual time served, resulting in 546 days of credit and will serve an additional 114 days in jail.

What is this bullpucky about 1.5 times credit? Somebody please explain this travesty to me and how it ever came to be. Why do the Judges give credit for time not served of a sentence? I will never understand this. It's absolutely insane. They barely ever hand out sentences, and when they do they are pure fluff (like this dude, shoots another guy point blank in the face, the shootee guy loses an eye, shooter guy is originally charged with attempted murder which makes perfect sense, but then his jackarse lawyer pleads him down to aggravated assault etc. He's sentenced to 22 piddly months for it (is that the going price of an eye these days?). But it gets better, not only does he get a lesser charge,a joke of a sentence, he is also rewarded for shooting the guy point blank by getting credit for time he hasn't even served!!

Our justice system is the stupidest bloody farce going. Our cities are turning into lawless, cesspools of thieves, thugs, and drug dealers and we can directly blame it ALL on our justice system (or lack thereof). The news for Kelowna, Vernon & Kamloops is full of theft, theft, theft, muggings, home invasions, drug wars, identify theft, mail theft, you name the crime it's happening full speed ahead and nothing gets done about it - NOTHING!! To hear the Mayors of these cities talk we live in these beautiful, idyllic places of pure bliss. Who the hell are they talking to? Who are they trying to convince? Do they even realize how out of touch and stupid beyond measure they even sound? All they have to do is read the news everyday.

I'm so tired of all their touristy-bla-bla-bla. They better sit up and pay attention to what's ACTUALLY going on in these cities instead of trying to pretend everything is wonderful - it's not wonderful, not even close.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Jail for shooting face...

Post by Catsumi »

I call it exactly what it is. The Canadian Injustice System.

:smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Trailer park shenanigans lol
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-213959-1-.htm#213959

Matherly was given presentence custody credit at 1.5 times actual time served, resulting in 546 days of credit and will serve an additional 114 days in jail.

What is this bullpucky about 1.5 times credit? Somebody please explain this travesty to me and how it ever came to be. Why do the Judges give credit for time not served of a sentence? I will never understand this. It's absolutely insane. They barely ever hand out sentences, and when they do they are pure fluff (like this dude, shoots another guy point blank in the face, the shootee guy loses an eye, shooter guy is originally charged with attempted murder which makes perfect sense, but then his jackarse lawyer pleads him down to aggravated assault etc. He's sentenced to 22 piddly months for it (is that the going price of an eye these days?). But it gets better, not only does he get a lesser charge,a joke of a sentence, he is also rewarded for shooting the guy point blank by getting credit for time he hasn't even served!!

Our justice system is the stupidest bloody farce going. Our cities are turning into lawless, cesspools of thieves, thugs, and drug dealers and we can directly blame it ALL on our justice system (or lack thereof). The news for Kelowna, Vernon & Kamloops is full of theft, theft, theft, muggings, home invasions, drug wars, identify theft, mail theft, you name the crime it's happening full speed ahead and nothing gets done about it - NOTHING!! To hear the Mayors of these cities talk we live in these beautiful, idyllic places of pure bliss. Who the hell are they talking to? Who are they trying to convince? Do they even realize how out of touch and stupid beyond measure they even sound? All they have to do is read the news everyday.

I'm so tired of all their touristy-bla-bla-bla. They better sit up and pay attention to what's ACTUALLY going on in these cities instead of trying to pretend everything is wonderful - it's not wonderful, not even close.

Best post i have read on here yet. Made me laugh. Hit some really good points.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

try not to feel sorry for the goof shot in the face, he has a criminal record a mile long
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

the truth wrote:try not to feel sorry for the goof shot in the face, he has a criminal record a mile long

More goofs. Real Kelowna winners.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Can someone explain this to me ?
A fellow in Penticton was just handed 4 years. He had fired a shotgun twice but not at anyone. The judge said 4 years was the mandatory sentence.
Why would this mandatory sentence not apply to deliberately shooting someone in the face ?
Black Dogs Matter
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dogspoiler wrote:Can someone explain this to me ?
A fellow in Penticton was just handed 4 years. He had fired a shotgun twice but not at anyone. The judge said 4 years was the mandatory sentence.
Why would this mandatory sentence not apply to deliberately shooting someone in the face ?

didn't read about this one...do you have the link?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Nope, it was in Penticton about two or three weeks ago I think.
Black Dogs Matter
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lightspeed wrote:
the truth wrote:try not to feel sorry for the goof shot in the face, he has a criminal record a mile long

More goofs. Real Kelowna winners.

got to love how these losers can come :200: on the news ,expecting pitty
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dle wrote:didn't read about this one...do you have the link?

Yvon Martel, 59, was found guilty at trial of unlawfully discharging a firearm, uttering threats and break and enter in connection to an incident on Dec. 11, 2016.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... tgun-blast

dogspoiler wrote:Why would this mandatory sentence not apply to deliberately shooting someone in the face ?

The charge was aggravated assault - different charges?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It doesn't make much sense to give someone a four year sentence for shooting a lock on an empty building, when someone else gets 22 months for shooting someone in the face.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dogspoiler wrote:It doesn't make much sense to give someone a four year sentence for shooting a lock on an empty building, when someone else gets 22 months for shooting someone in the face.

And not even a swift kick to the head from a patrol boot...

Ya know,......... for the lasting reminder.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fee-Line

Post by Fee-Line »

It seems the justice system has become shockingly arbitrary in it’s descisions. To deliberately shoot someone point blank in the face is horrendous and to get a few months in jail is doubly so. I’ve seen some other cases recently— that young man in Whistler that got savagely stabbed to death and the perp didn’t get much time at all. The young woman who got murdered outside a nightclub in Vancouver who received a merciless kick in the head by a remorseless *bleep* who got practically no time at all. The guy in Kelowna in a trailer park last year, who visciously stabbed his girlfriend like 30 times or more hardly got any time as I recall. I noticed in some of these cases that the court noted that the perp “had a difficult upbringing” or some such nonsense, hence the lenient sentences. My question is, since when does the perps past life factor into the decision? I am aware that a victim’s past isn’t supposed to factor into a court’s decision, such as a rape victim for example, so why does a murderer’s “abused” upbringing factor into a ridiculously lenient sentence? There are plenty of people out there that have troubled pasts that don’t commit crimes. What gives? Oh and one more incident recently that got buried quickly was that Saudi student that slashed that girls throat at university. He didn’t get any jail time at all but was only expelled. Did he have a rich Saudi Prince father that paid off the judge? Makes me wonder.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dogspoiler wrote:It doesn't make much sense to give someone a four year sentence for shooting a lock on an empty building, when someone else gets 22 months for shooting someone in the face.

Ok just read the news article.....it does seem ridiculous to me as well. The charge of shooting someone point blank in the face has to be a more serious charge than uttering threats and shooting but not aimed at anyone for sure. More proof that the Judges are bonkers and the laws along with them.

And if you need even more proof how stupid our laws/judges are - did you see what the Judge had to say about the sentence she handed down?

The firearms charge comes with a four-year mandatory minimum, with Judge Meg Shaw stating she would have prefered to sentence Martel to three years. Of course she would have. All Judges want to give out the weakest sentences they can no matter the crime - they are all in some kind of secret coven I'm sure because they ALL hand down these wussy sentences time after time after time....

But back to the question dogspoiler had - I agree - why this dude gets 4 years MANDATORY and didn't aim a gun at anyone, but the guy who point blanks the other guy in the face and pulls the trigger gets a little slap?

Talk about bogus? How can they justify any of it?

Return to “Central Okanagan”