Full Time Video Surveillance

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Full Time Video Surveillance

Post by alanjh595 »

vinnied wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
The public can only have complete control over the residence that they live within or the the property that they own. This does NOT include renters.

wait a minute. are you saying a landlord has the right to install cameras inside rental units?? this i find hard to believe. now i have to go thoroughly search my place, especially my bedroom and bathroom. creepy landlords

That would be just stupid. The tenant can have control over the cameras inside their unit (They can install their own). The landlord has the right to put cameras outside.
Bring back the LIKE button.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

If people are concerned about just what pictures or video of themselves that the city may have in it's records, it is really quite simple and free to make a freedom of information request. By law, there there is no fee or costs that can be charged the applicant for the receipt of picture or video copies of themselves as this is personal information.

To make it simple and easy to file for this information, I've attached a partially created form that needs only be completed with name, address, signature and date. The form can be then emailed to the attention of the City Clerk at [email protected].

Doing this by Monday, you should have your information by February 1, 2018.

If you are worried about the expense that would be incurred by the city in executing the request, you needn't be; the city already has people on staff that are being paid through taxation to administer freedom of information requests.
Attachments
FOI Form - Images and video.jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The second to last line states:

Capture.JPG
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

It only took two pages to get nutty.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

alanjh595 wrote:The second to last line states:

Capture.JPG

Fess are not applicable to personal information per section 75(3)

Fees
75 (1) The head of a public body may require an applicant who makes a request under section 5 to pay to the public body fees for the following services:

(a) locating, retrieving and producing the record;
(b) preparing the record for disclosure;
(c) shipping and handling the record;
(d) providing a copy of the record.

(2) An applicant must not be required under subsection (1) to pay a fee for
(a) the first 3 hours spent locating and retrieving a record, or
(b) time spent severing information from a record.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a request for the applicant's own personal information.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Do you know that every city operated garbage/recycling truck is outfitted with GPS and video cameras?
They record 360 degrees around the truck including licence plates and vehicles parked in no parking areas. The images are sent directly to city by-laws enforcement and an officer is dispatched.
Have any doubts, watch and wait for the next regular garbage collection day and see if you can spot the cameras mounted on the trucks.
They will tell you that these cameras are for checking on the refuse that is being dumped and records the address from where it comes from, plus it is to limit the fraudulent damage claims that are made for damages to resident's cars.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

alanjh595 wrote:Do you know that every city operated garbage/recycling truck is outfitted with GPS and video cameras?
They record 360 degrees around the truck including licence plates and vehicles parked in no parking areas. The images are sent directly to city by-laws enforcement and an officer is dispatched.
Have any doubts, watch and wait for the next regular garbage collection day and see if you can spot the cameras mounted on the trucks.
They will tell you that these cameras are for checking on the refuse that is being dumped and records the address from where it comes from, plus it is to limit the fraudulent damage claims that are made for damages to resident's cars.

Yikes! Fortunately I'm not directly affected by the residential garbage trucks but now I'm wondering if the other trucks that pick up from commercial, condos and apartments have the same capability and process. The company building the Sole Downtown just loves to block off the alley making the garbage trucks back all the way down the alley onto Doyle at the south end. I have yet to see a super cop bylaw officer attend this - despite calls into the Mayors office.

I saw the attached on another thread ... it is appropriate!
Attachments
826218CE-1A4B-4103-958D-947442977624.png
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:They record 360 degrees around the truck including licence plates and vehicles parked in no parking areas. The images are sent directly to city by-laws enforcement and an officer is dispatched.

Must work really well because there are several cars and trucks near us that are parked illegally all the time. Have never seen By-laws show up.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Why would they? It's all on video and the ticket is just mailed out to the offender.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

alanjh595 wrote:Why would they? It's all on video and the ticket is just mailed out to the offender.

The funny thing about this though is that if the plate matches up with an address outside of Kelowna (i.e. Alberta) they have no way to collect except on the good graces if the owner decides to pay it.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Here is where this surveillance is headed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ddpnQREqM
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

fz6adventure wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Why would they? It's all on video and the ticket is just mailed out to the offender.

The funny thing about this though is that if the plate matches up with an address outside of Kelowna (i.e. Alberta) they have no way to collect except on the good graces if the owner decides to pay it.

It works fine for red light cameras and photo radar.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

You said "an officer is dispatched". I think some thought that meant that an officer is dispatched.

This deal with the 360 degree cameras on the garbage trucks is something though. Does someone go through all that footage manually to look for offences? Or do the trucks just upload their footage from a hard drive at the end of the day, and the footage is then analyzed by computer?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

They use a licence plate recognition program, just like by-laws enforcement does. The computer does all the work. Checks for outstanding warrants/tickets, stolen, valid insurance, and for registered owners wanted both federally and provincially, etc.
Isn't modern technology great!?
Maybe next they will add facial recognition software for those that are walking or cycling.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I used to be against it but I've come to accept that It's inevitable. Privacy is a thing of the past. We're going to have to adapt to our every movement being public. There's no putting that cat back in the bag.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”