New letter to the editor.... rentals

69cutlass
Übergod

New letter to the editor.... rentals

Post by 69cutlass »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... bout-money

Did anyone read this new letter to the editor. It is simply amazing. When will people learn. Making it harder to be a landlord will only result in less rentals being in the market for rent. Leading to a bigger housing crisis than we are already in the midst of.
Last edited by 69cutlass on Dec 16th, 2017, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: New letter to the editor

Post by WalterWhite »

Just for context, the initial letter this was in response to:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... regulation
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Thank you. The first letter was an intelligent one that brought up some very valid points. The response that was posted today was unintelligent drivel that has no clue about how things actual function.
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

Glad I wasn't the only one shaking my head lol
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I'm just curious - I've never been a landlord, but have been a tenant. If a landlord has an excellent tenant, always pays rent on time, keeps the yard/house in a presentable fashion, doesn't complain consistently, informs the landlord of any issues, isn't the landlord more apt to keep them in their residence? Is it only the not so desirable tenants that are having an issue? If that's the case, maybe they should tune themselves up so their landlords aren't trying to find ways to remove them and find good tenants.

Just a thought.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Tony you have hit the nail squarely on the head with your comment. No landlord will evict get rid of or use a loophole on a perfect tenant.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

oh yes they will when they can rent gouge...google the reason why renter's said these 2 loopholes were killing them..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

W105 wrote:oh yes they will when they can rent gouge...google the reason why renter's said these 2 loopholes were killing them..

Why don't you show us all the results of your google search that provides proof of your ambiguous statement? if you went through the effort to do the research and then make a claim based upon that research, why not provide that evidence to support your claim?
Bring back the LIKE button.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Please let me clerify....a GOOD SELF RESPECTING landlords would not evict or let go an excellent or perfect tenant just to raise the rent. In 1 year 1 bad tenant can cost you more than all the rent you collected from them. So no it's not all about the money. Middle class landlords are not all about the money as much as being about finding someone who will take care of their investment as well as possible.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

W105 wrote:oh yes they will when they can rent gouge...google the reason why renter's said these 2 loopholes were killing them..

are we going down this path again? If the market goes up substantially, why the :cuss: is it gouging to ask for market value??
Last edited by vegas1500 on Dec 16th, 2017, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

69cutlass wrote:Please let me clerify....a GOOD SELF RESPECTING landlords would not evict or let go an excellent or perfect tenant just to raise the rent. In 1 year 1 bad tenant can cost you more than all the rent you collected from them. So no it's not all about the money. Middle class landlords are not all about the money as much as being about finding someone who will take care of their investment as well as possible.

One would assume so, but I know a couple who did exactly that to an excellent person who happens to post here and then had nothing but legal headaches. Served them right.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
PocoGirl

Re: New letter to the editor.... rentals

Post by PocoGirl »

Hi everyone, I view these forums often and comment rarely. Usually because I forget my password lol. Please don’t hate or presume all Landlords are evil and doing it for a cash grab when raising rent. Here’s my story as a Landlord and no word of a lie. I bought a three bedroom townhouse in Vernon (well, the bank owns two thirds of it) in Feb 2016. On March 1, I have tenants (family with four young children, now five children believe it or not). Being a first time landlord, I hired a company to source and do credit checks etc to find quality tenants at a reasonable price and charging the going rental rate similar units. They moved in March 2016 and I did not raise the rent this year March 1/17, even though property taxes and strata fees went up yet again. Last summer, my tenants requested a fence be installed and I agreed with the understanding between us, if it was reasonable. Also, I was thinking this could be a win win as when I do plan to resell the unit or maybe rent out again (big maybe) the fence is a selling feature for people with kids and pets as well as being able to write it off. I also asked how long their intentions were and was told another 2 years due to upgrading in his career as a Geologist. With this in mind, I said, property taxes and strata fees have gone up and no doubt will go up over the next year, if I do this are you okay with an increase of $25 per month starting in March 2018) They were fine with this as in their words, it’s reasonable and agreed. Soooo, guess what? They’re happy, I’m happy. Win win :smt045 An added note, this landlord, takes in an extra $45 per month after expenses of mortgage, property taxes and strata fees. Don’t forget, I have to cover anything that might go wrong. Another thing, there’s also bad tenants and good tenants. Two sides to every experience. Cheers :130:
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

What exactly defines market value here in Kelowna?????

After viewing dozens of rental properties (mostly suites but some homes) I have concluded that home owners are wanting tenants to make a full mortgage payment. That is not the intended purpose of a rental suite.....they have been for generations a mortgage helper.

I believe many home owners fudged the numbers to get themselves into a property out of their income bracket and now expect a tenant to make a full mortgage payment in the form of rent. THAT FOLKS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. A suite was never meant to be a mortgage maker.....but a mortgage helper. Yes there is a difference.

When karma hits this valley in the form interest adjustments there's going to be some really nice foreclosures.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I've never asked a tenant in my life if they're ok with an increase in rent.
Here's an increase. There ya go.
Nobody is ever "ok" with it.
They have to pay a bit more. So what. That's the way it is.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

Bman wrote:I've never asked a tenant in my life if they're ok with an increase in rent.
Here's an increase. There ya go.
Nobody is ever "ok" with it.
They have to pay a bit more. So what. That's the way it is.

That wasn’t really the point of my post. That said, my way worked for the tenants and better for me. Just FYI, they’re paying for most of the fence at the end of the day and I have a write off. :smt045 Sometimes it’s in the delivery to make the world go around Just sayin. Merry Christmas Bman!

Return to “Central Okanagan”