2 vehicle crash near Predator Ridge turnoff.....

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: 2 vehicle crash near Predator Ridge turnoff.....

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:Kelowna has nothing to do with the highway. Why not contact the appropriate authority?

Well, that would be MOT and unfortunately, in my experience with trying to find out about left turn advance lights on the Hwy, it was rather a waste of time. I thought perhaps if the request for action came from the RCMP they might listen.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:I just look at it as how it is hundreds of cars passed through there without having an accident that night.

All it takes is one car going a bit too fast or has tires that are either non winter or poor tread and there's your accident.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

That is a plausible reason for sure....you'd think someone - not sure who, maybe the police, would notify MOT about all the accidents and they might wonder the same thing and get over there with an engineer to figure it out. The fact is it's a good stretch of road and has incidents every season so it's gotta be the road itself in part. They are usually very bad ones too so it's worth figuring out I think....[/quote]

Can u imagine. What would they do about Westbank lol. RCMP would need a full time MOT liasion officer just for bridge hill up thru to Gormans mill
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here. The problem is they did nothing for people turning left heading North to Vernon. You literally have to turn left into a lane where people are driving 100km/h and if they fix that they would have to fix the left turn at the dump which is the same.

The roads were brutally slippy so obviously that is a factor. There was a car in the ditch by the Kelowna airport and one in the ditch heading up the road out of Vernon as well. I was driving the speed limit in those conditions getting passed by a lot of cars doing well over the speed limit. People need to drive to the conditions.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They do look at all the high crash areas and occasionally do something about it. Look at the Hwy near the Airport where they have installed the cement barriers because of all the head on accidents.

It all costs money and it's much easier to see the spots that cause trouble than come up with the cash to fix them.

As well as the ones who complain about the accidents will probably be the ones who scream about the cost to fix it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bsuds wrote:They do look at all the high crash areas and occasionally do something about it. Look at the Hwy near the Airport where they have installed the cement barriers because of all the head on accidents.

It all costs money and it's much easier to see the spots that cause trouble than come up with the cash to fix them.

As well as the ones who complain about the accidents will probably be the ones who scream about the cost to fix it.

Well, I am one who is sickened every time I hear about accidents - especially when there seems to be a lot in one area and I am one of the complainers for sure - mostly that they don't do something about it, not about the cost to do it. There are so many things the government spends my money on that makes me crankier than a bear with a sore butt - making the roads safer for everyone isn't one of them. I LOVE when highway and road infrastructure get my $$. We drove to Saskatchewan in the fall - beautifully peaceful and enjoyable drive once we hit the Alberta border and east. Absolutely horrid from here to Alberta and I was on the edge of my seat that entire drive both ways in BC, BUT they are changing that - we got held up in road construction and could barely breathe from the forest fire smoke but I was happy as a clam to see those construction crews. OMG we need it so badly. I see there was another bad accident by Revelstoke today on that horror highway - RIP, one for sure died and a dog, others seriously injured. That 4 laning can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned. Wicked bad ugly stretch - embarrassingly so for our Trans Canada Highway.

If it is a drainage problem by Predator perhaps it wouldn't cost too much to fix that, I don't know, but I'm all for them trying something.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

jasond_71 wrote:They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here. The problem is they did nothing for people turning left heading North to Vernon. You literally have to turn left into a lane where people are driving 100km/h and if they fix that they would have to fix the left turn at the dump which is the same.

The roads were brutally slippy so obviously that is a factor. There was a car in the ditch by the Kelowna airport and one in the ditch heading up the road out of Vernon as well. I was driving the speed limit in those conditions getting passed by a lot of cars doing well over the speed limit. People need to drive to the conditions.

Yeah, it was darn slippy, and where was the damn sand? That stretch should be a first priority to getting hit with sand every snowfall. We've been on it when it's icy and its long past been plowed and still no sand - the plows are supposed to sand at the same time from what I hear but they don't.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

jasond_71 wrote:They already spent thousands of dollars or more making the right turn lane onto the highway heading south a lot longer so people can merge easier so obviously they have statistics of increased accidents here. The problem is they did nothing for people turning left heading North to Vernon. You literally have to turn left into a lane where people are driving 100km/h and if they fix that they would have to fix the left turn at the dump which is the same.

Even coming out of the road from Kekuli Bay to turn left to come to Kelowna it is freaky-deaky getting out onto the highway hauling a trailer knowing the oncoming traffic is going 100 and we sure aren't! The highway traffic has to be dots way off in the distance before I feel safe pulling out of there.

The spots you are talking about same thing for sure like you said - a car doing 100 is on you pretty darn fast if you aren't careful.....don't know what else they could have done there though. Maybe there is a frontage road that goes from those spots into Vernon instead of taking the highway. I know there is one on the Kekuli side that comes out by the top of cadet hill there...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

They could fix the drainage pretty easy. At least speed drainage up easily. Just need to let more water thru the jersey blocks that make up the divider going along the right hand north bound lanes. U could do this many ways. Easist is probably to design a replacement block that has better drainage and use it in a few places near there where it is needed. Revelstoke as well this is a problem. Im on the hwy alot. 50k km a yr or better.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jflem1983 wrote:They could fix the drainage pretty easy. At least speed drainage up easily. Just need to let more water thru the jersey blocks that make up the divider going along the right hand north bound lanes. U could do this many ways. Easist is probably to design a replacement block that has better drainage and use it in a few places near there where it is needed. Revelstoke as well this is a problem. Im on the hwy alot. 50k km a yr or better.

On these BC roads you must have many grey hairs! It's beautiful here but holy cow you have to have nerves of steel and eyes in the back of your head to drive here!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dle wrote: a car doing 100 is on you pretty darn fast if you aren't careful.....don't know what else they could have done there though.

This is what 'should' have been done at Baillie and 97, and is what is needed at Kal lk scenic (Kekuli)
Of special note since there is a Campground and a major Boat Ramp down there,
Meaning many combination vehicles.

A protected T- intersection.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds wrote:All it takes is one car going a bit too fast or has tires that are either non winter or poor tread and there's your accident.
I get that - but if the majority can make it without incident, why does the highway need to be changed?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dirtybiker wrote:
dle wrote: a car doing 100 is on you pretty darn fast if you aren't careful.....don't know what else they could have done there though.

This is what 'should' have been done at Baillie and 97, and is what is needed at Kal lk scenic (Kekuli)
Of special note since there is a Campground and a major Boat Ramp down there,
Meaning many combination vehicles.

A protected T- intersection.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

Oh yea, I am pickin' up what you are layin' down here! That gives you a halfway point across all the lanes to wait safely and not have to gun it to cross 4 lanes, turn without throwing your rig around and hoping it all stays upright all while trying to get up to 100 to merge! Me likey! I wonder why they DIDN'T do that at those intersecting roads? Doesn't LOOK like it would be an expensive addition but what do I know...

Maybe it could still be done there with not a lot of cost? A few tweaks here and there with a cement barrier and some paint for lines! Too simplistic?
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I would Hazard a Guess That 70 to 80% of the accidents occur because of to high speed for road conditions. People travel along the highway still at 20 clicks over and yes the road might be good where they're at but as they get around the corner or a shaded area that's where they hit the black ice.. if you want to get in an accident and kill yourself that's your business but a lot of them are taking other people down with them .justso they can get to their destination 5 minutes sooner.. it happened to me a little over a week ago when a lady traveling with her two children in the car hit the black ice that was caused by the Shaded area by the dump turn off. She had fishtailed once behind me and was sideways fishtailing around me in the fast lane still passing me while I was in the slow lane doing 90 km. So after being sideways twice and still passing a car doing 90 I would guess her speed must have been up to 130. And you guessed it she blamed the road crews instead of herself for almost killing herself and her children.. her accident also caused another accident from some poor young girl who came around the corner and couldn't stop in time because her car was planted along the center Meridian. Smarten up People just slow down.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

common_sense_guy wrote:I would Hazard a Guess That 70 to 80% of the accidents occur because of to high speed for road conditions. People travel along the highway still at 20 clicks over and yes the road might be good where they're at but as they get around the corner or a shaded area that's where they hit the black ice.. if you want to get in an accident and kill yourself that's your business but a lot of them are taking other people down with them .justso they can get to their destination 5 minutes sooner.. it happened to me a little over a week ago when a lady traveling with her two children in the car hit the black ice that was caused by the Shaded area by the dump turn off. She had fishtailed once behind me and was sideways fishtailing around me in the fast lane still passing me while I was in the slow lane doing 90 km. So after being sideways twice and still passing a car doing 90 I would guess her speed must have been up to 130. And you guessed it she blamed the road crews instead of herself for almost killing herself and her children.. her accident also caused another accident from some poor young girl who came around the corner and couldn't stop in time because her car was planted along the center Meridian. Smarten up People just slow down.

Yea you nailed that perfectly....there is nothing you can do about the other driver who causes the accident through sheer stupidity and arrogance. You can be the most careful driver in the world and some :cuss: will come around a corner thinking he/she's such a perfect driver and an "I've got this" attitude - right til he/she doesn't and loses control and drags you into the horror with them - and then so much for all your proper driving to conditions. Doesn't matter one bit then. So that is why the roads need to be sanded constantly - to help protect the careful from the arrogance of the :cuss: . It's scary out there.....

Return to “Central Okanagan”