Snowed In By Snowplow

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Snowed In By Snowplow

Post by TreeGuy »

How is this news? Newsflash, winter has arrived to the Okanagan, anyone else caught off guard by this?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-214558-1-.htm#214558
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Snowed In By Snowplow

Post by normaM »

From the photo and story it was more than just the usual plow leavings.
Last year the person doing our streets was great, this year neighbours are complaining.. took me 2 hours to remove, meanwhile he could have bladed differently and no drive ways would have been blocked. Street was better before it was plowed imo, oh well soon we'll get some clumps of sand :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I'm surprised more municipalities aren't implementing this to snow removal equipment. Pretty simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvp6dZLRqiY

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

WalterWhite wrote:I'm surprised more municipalities aren't implementing this to snow removal equipment. Pretty simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvp6dZLRqiY

That is on a grader in rural setting. Running a tandem axle truck with a blade and sander is enough to operate. This also wouldn’t work in a high density neighbourhood.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

It could be that the citizen is just complaining, or that maybe the civic employee this time was not fully aware of what he was done.

Either way, it is good to report these incidents so that the proper City Division can review what happened and hopefully make changes. I've seen snowplows with blockers on the size which they can life and put down, this helps in my neighbourhood so that the driveways stay clean and snow piles up along the side of the curb properly.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

normaM wrote:From the photo and story it was more than just the usual plow leavings.
Last year the person doing our streets was great, this year neighbours are complaining.. took me 2 hours to remove, meanwhile he could have bladed differently and no drive ways would have been blocked. Street was better before it was plowed imo, oh well soon we'll get some clumps of sand :)

Certainly different operators have different techniques. Apparently the area I looked after last year is receiving complaints where there weren’t any when I was looking after it.

“No driveways blocked”, I’m sure you have ideas on this but it is not always practical when there is a whole city to be plowed. My street for example only has houses on one side, it would be great if the operator would put it all to the orchard side, but that takes a bunch of extra time and that just isn’t feasible.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Last year I called in to the City to rave about the Driver ( maybe it was you?) This year no done in a hurry, get the sweeparound when there is no need. Wide streets, most houses are what would be 2/3 lots elsewhere in the City. I think by the time he/she gets here they tired. Meanwhile freaking snow boulders. Guy next door was huffing and a puffing trying to dig his drive out. Matter of honor I waited until I got back inside to pant :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

OMG people stop whining and do things for yourselves and stop expecting the city to do everything. And how many years have you been alive and is this the only time that you've been snowed in in such a way? Ask a friend for help and deal with it don't call Castanet to get your story out there. If the plow drivers had to worry about blocking any of the driveways they would never get the roads done which is all of what most people whine about. And I highly doubt they broke even one shovel. Come on has anybody broke a shovel shoveling snow. That's called embellishing your story and if it's not accurate don't lie. Yes it's a sad story that you got blocked in but it happens to everybody. And if you're worried about it happening again move down south where there's no snow
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
mnprochnau
Banned

Post by mnprochnau »

as a resident of this city it is your obligation to keep your sidewalk free of snow for pedestrians. so why is this a problem.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This is stupid.
Deal with it , just be happy they're plowing the :cuss: roads.
Bad back/heart, get family to help out or hire someone.
Winter isn't that long here.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Picture in story does not show exactly how wide, deep and high this ridge is but it certainly looks like chunks of ice and not the usual ridge I have become accustomed too. If you have ever left Kelowna and lived in other parts of Canada during the winters you will understand the words "snow removal"..........what Kelowna has is "snow pushing or moving". Our street in a newer development is normally about 26 or 28 feet wide plus a sidewalk on one side. After this ONE snowfall many of the roads around here are now 8 feet narrower because the plow only clears about a 16 foot path with 2 passes. Our area also suffers from vehicles parked on the street in places to impede clearing but where there are no vehicles the road width has shrunk by this amount.

Bottom line..........people on here complain about people who question Kelowna's winter snow pushing plan and that they are a bunch of whiners. To those, I wonder what they expect from their taxes? It appears we continually get less for more.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sure nice to see all the empathy on here for those people who for whatever their disabilities are that can't clear a large pile of ice and snow that the city so nicely piles in front of their driveway.

We don't pay the City all those tax dollars to make our lives more difficult!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Buy a snowblower.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

When there are big chunks of icy snow that all meld together, it is indeed possible to break a shovel...or two. While I wouldn't consider it worthy of being a news item, I think there are many who do not realize the struggles some have with snow removal. It may be difficult to find someone to hire, but I can see the value in budgeting to pay for driveway and sidewalk snow removal when one can not physically shovel snow.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lightspeed wrote:Buy a snowblower.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to work one of those either and the days of neighborhood teenagers going door to door offering to clear snow is long gone too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”