Streetlights on the highway in Westbank

dirtguy
Board Meister

Streetlights on the highway in Westbank

Post by dirtguy »

A contract has been awarded for supply and install of street lights from Ross Rd to Nancy Way on the Westside, be led lights on both sides of the highway. Should happen first thing in the new year.

Its about Time
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Streetlights on the highway in Westbank

Post by Jflem1983 »

dirtguy wrote:A contract has been awarded for supply and install of street lights from Ross Rd to Nancy Way on the Westside, be led lights on both sides of the highway. Should happen first thing in the new year.

Its about Time

Yes this will be appreciated.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I'm not sure how beneficial it will be in that area. Was there any study done to see if it is particularly dangerous at night?
dirtguy
Board Meister

Re: Streetlights on the highway in westbank

Post by dirtguy »

its blacker then you know who's *bleep*,it will be way better lit up
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Considering the lack of visible road markings on most highways street lights are a definite improvement. Would be great if they did it along the 97 Connector and Coquihalla too. Those highways have zero road markings and are incredibly difficult in rain and/or snow conditions at night.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

dirtguy wrote:its blacker then you know who's *bleep*,it will be way better lit up

I drive the road daily, I know what it is like. Better road markings, with reflectors on the sides of the road would be good, but I just don't see it as the most in need place in West Kelowna and similarly, it will add cost and light pollution. If they are using evidence, as opposed to "common sense" to recommend that this particular stretch needs additional lights, fine, I just would like to know why they particularly chose this stretch and this particular remedy.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

The led lights shouldn't add a whole bunch to the light pollution
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

dirtguy wrote:The led lights shouldn't add a whole bunch to the light pollution

I don't see how, since they emit about as much light as the existing lights, just using less energy to do so. Unless they are properly engineered, so that they only light up the road, they will contribute to light pollution. The LED ones opposite my house are a perfect example of how they shouldn't be done since the light shines into my upstairs bedroom.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Verum wrote:I drive the road daily, I know what it is like. Better road markings, with reflectors on the sides of the road would be good, but I just don't see it as the most in need place in West Kelowna and similarly, it will add cost and light pollution. If they are using evidence, as opposed to "common sense" to recommend that this particular stretch needs additional lights, fine, I just would like to know why they particularly chose this stretch and this particular remedy.

Daily? Try driving it at night when it's raining or foggy.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Streetlights on the highway in westbank

Post by Verum »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Verum wrote:I drive the road daily, I know what it is like. Better road markings, with reflectors on the sides of the road would be good, but I just don't see it as the most in need place in West Kelowna and similarly, it will add cost and light pollution. If they are using evidence, as opposed to "common sense" to recommend that this particular stretch needs additional lights, fine, I just would like to know why they particularly chose this stretch and this particular remedy.

Daily? Try driving it at night when it's raining or foggy.

I drive it twice a day, and it's usally dark for both times of the day at this time of the year. My vehicle lights would be adequate if they fit reflectors on the centre divider and to mark the edge of the road to the right. In fact, they would do a better job than street lights, and are necessary anyway.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I must have missed the memo about people loosing the ability to drive after the sun sets. Unless there's pedestrian traffic I don't see the point of lighting everything up since my headlights are doing that anyway.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

On a major highway through communities it's nice to have some illumination.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Poindexter wrote:I must have missed the memo about people loosing the ability to drive after the sun sets. Unless there's pedestrian traffic I don't see the point of lighting everything up since my headlights are doing that anyway.

Drive the UK roads at night then come back here and say its fine. Its flipping awful particularly in wet weather, road markings are non existent and poor lighting doesn't help. Even worse if you have an older vehicle with normal lights. Modern vehicles with LED lights are much better
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

dodgerdodge wrote:
Poindexter wrote:I must have missed the memo about people loosing the ability to drive after the sun sets. Unless there's pedestrian traffic I don't see the point of lighting everything up since my headlights are doing that anyway.

Drive the UK roads at night then come back here and say its fine. Its flipping awful particularly in wet weather, road markings are non existent and poor lighting doesn't help. Even worse if you have an older vehicle with normal lights. Modern vehicles with LED lights are much better

UK roads are not designed for snow. They have raised pavement markers everywhere and that makes a world of difference. Unfortunately, these tend to be next to useless in snow. Here is a picture from Wikipedia:
If one adds snow to the picture, it gets hard to see the road and therefore the cat's eyes, but the barriers should remain visible, which would give us most of the benefit without the ongoing cost.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It's about time. I hate that stretch. It's bad at night but it's worse when it's raining or foggy. Or foggy and raining. I am not a fan of night driving at the best of times but that stretch of road has always been a pain for me. When you're on that curve, heading South from Boucherie and then you hit a line of traffic coming at you and you haven't had the time to adjust to the change, crappy.

Thank you to whoever pulled the trigger.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”