Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Post by kgcayenne »

If the container impedes sight lines for motorists, then then there may well be a safety concern.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

stevemic wrote:Pics?
easy enough to get and post

Probably not without putting identification items in the background. Pictures do not tell the whole story anyway.
Last edited by Fancy on Dec 29th, 2017, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Wonderberry

Post by Wonderberry »

Happy Friday all,

Just wanted to clarify a few things! Anyone can purchase a "street permit" for their shipping container to be left on a City street. They pay the City for the permit and tape it to the container doors. The container rental company knows not to block fire hydrants and leave room for emergency vehicles etc... This happens all the time and is very popular with people doing reno's for example as the driveway remains clear for all the service trucks/vans doing the work in the house. You can even purchase a monthly street permit!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Wonderberry wrote:Happy Friday all,

Just wanted to clarify a few things! Anyone can purchase a "street permit" for their shipping container to be left on a City street. They pay the City for the permit and tape it to the container doors. The container rental company knows not to block fire hydrants and leave room for emergency vehicles etc... This happens all the time and is very popular with people doing reno's for example as the driveway remains clear for all the service trucks/vans doing the work in the house. You can even purchase a monthly street permit!

Thank you!! That's the kind of information I was looking for! I will look for the permit next time I drive past it.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Catri wrote:
Thank you!! That's the kind of information I was looking for!

Nice, wade through the quagmire of four pages of sludge and come out
smelling like a rose.
And now we all learned something also. (at least I did)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Wonderberry wrote:Happy Friday all,

Glad this helped everyone out! Unfortunately, it’s incorrect - unless Wonderberry lives in West Kelowna?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Either way, there doesn't appear to be a permit affixed to the container.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Maybe the glue on the tape has frozen and the tak has fallen off? Just a thought.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I would be annoyed too . Park your crap in your yard . Fill it , load it on the truck , then turn right and get lost . The street isnt a working area for people moving.
Strong and free
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

gsc wrote:Simply talking to people can go a long way. We happen to have someone in our area that constantly calles the police and bylaw every chance they get. Please don't be that guy in your neighborhood as I'm sure they have much better things to do. Just go talk to them and see what they gotta say.

Actually talking to people most of the time, proves to be useless, as many people will do whatever they want, when they want because they do not respect rules and regulations which are set out for many reasons.

And.....you could go and talk to the people and find out that they are Psycho's, and end up having them spend the rest of their lives trying to destroy your credibility just because you mentioned something that wasn't your business(in their opinion).

People have to also realize that Kelowna is Hillbilly country, anything goes, and if you are a person who likes to follow rules and laws, you end up being labelled as the bad guy, because Hillbillies don't like following rules.

It's always best to call Bylaw or Police because dealing with issues on your own, might not be in your best interest.
Oh, and besides, that's why we have Law Enforcement officers, they get paid to uphold the law.

We have a real clown in our neighborhood who would disturb his neighbor directly across the street. When the good neighbor confronted the clown disturbing the neighborhood at all hours, the clown said "If you don't like it, call the Cops"
So the good neighbor called the cops and the clown started an all out war with him which lasted for over 2 years.

It's best not to confront, best to lay low, call Bylaw and don't announce it was you that complained. :up:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'll venture a guess that you are still neighbours though.
And even have each others backs when outside forces
threaten your hood.
May even help each other from time to time.

Because that's what neighbours do.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

UltraViolet wrote:
gsc wrote:Simply talking to people can go a long way. We happen to have someone in our area that constantly calles the police and bylaw every chance they get. Please don't be that guy in your neighborhood as I'm sure they have much better things to do. Just go talk to them and see what they gotta say.

Actually talking to people most of the time, proves to be useless, as many people will do whatever they want, when they want because they do not respect rules and regulations which are set out for many reasons.

And.....you could go and talk to the people and find out that they are Psycho's, and end up having them spend the rest of their lives trying to destroy your credibility just because you mentioned something that wasn't your business(in their opinion).

People have to also realize that Kelowna is Hillbilly country, anything goes, and if you are a person who likes to follow rules and laws, you end up being labelled as the bad guy, because Hillbillies don't like following rules.

It's always best to call Bylaw or Police because dealing with issues on your own, might not be in your best interest.
Oh, and besides, that's why we have Law Enforcement officers, they get paid to uphold the law.

We have a real clown in our neighborhood who would disturb his neighbor directly across the street. When the good neighbor confronted the clown disturbing the neighborhood at all hours, the clown said "If you don't like it, call the Cops"
So the good neighbor called the cops and the clown started an all out war with him which lasted for over 2 years.

It's best not to confront, best to lay low, call Bylaw and don't announce it was you that complained. :up:

I'm sorry if these were your experiences, but I think it has more to do with how people communicate, and how to do so effectively. I can't think of very many times where I haven't been able to resolve conflict by being receivable, fair, listening to the other person and setting appropriate boundaries.

Just because kelowna may be the land of 'hillbilly's' doesn't mean we need to talk to them like they are less than. Calling police and bylaw for me would be a last resort only if compromise couldn't be reached, or issues resolved amicably.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

and this kind of snooping around makes the neighbors friendly. Who cares.....even if its there for a week. What I hate is the RVs parked in peoples driveways that is there for 50 weeks out of the 52 weeks...that sucks to see all year round.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

dirtybiker wrote:I'll venture a guess that you are still neighbours though.
And even have each others backs when outside forces
threaten your hood.
May even help each other from time to time.

Because that's what neighbours do.

Not one of mine, he calls the city on us all for everything.

Dogs playing in their own yards unleashed? BYLAW
Didn't shovel your sidewalk immediately after the snow? BYLAW
Park some place you shouldn't? BYLAW
Family coming to stay for the week and they don't like their "suspicious" SUV out front? Police!
Building a shed in the backyard too close to another guy's fence (not even HIS fence)? BYLAW

If I didn't know the OP was a woman, I would have thought my neighbor moved!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

What I hate, is..
You save and work hard, and buy a property. Then people come along and try to tell you what you can and can't park in your yard..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”