50371
45615

Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby GordonH » Dec 27th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Catri wrote:Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.


Curious question:
Did the home have a driveway, if not were would you suggest dropping the storage container at.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6104 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby MAPearce » Dec 27th, 2017, 6:20 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:They wil, pick it up and move it into your driveway or nearby for 175 buxl


FINALLY !!! .. Someone who read the post , heard the question AND answered it ....

Boy , we "Castanutters" sure do enjoy imparting our "knowledge" on others , don't we ?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10295
Likes: 1266 posts
Liked in: 3339 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby normaM » Dec 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm

They just asked a Q. Freak I have seen ppl here get bent over all sorts of crap, a simply Q and they get rained on
" just talk to them
Right, just talk to everyone, except your husbands, wives, Bosses
They asked a Question
Next
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
User avatar
normaM
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13681
Likes: 1743 posts
Liked in: 910 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 6:28 am

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Catri » Dec 27th, 2017, 7:05 pm

GordonH wrote:Curious question:
Did the home have a driveway, if not were would you suggest dropping the storage container at.


The home does have a driveway, quite a roomy driveway at that and a generous front yard as well. Even if it didn't, not having a driveway doesn't entitle you to use public property for your personal storage needs.

My issue is not with people renting shipping containers, it's with the container companies knowingly and illegally placing their containers on public property. The neighbour directly across the street from me has had one on their property for over a year and it doesn't bother me one bit. I would definitely consider using one if I were moving or renovating and you can be sure that it would be entirely contained on my own property for the duration.
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1211
Likes: 1087 posts
Liked in: 877 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby phasyluck » Dec 27th, 2017, 7:49 pm

MAPearce wrote:
phasyluck wrote:My dad just moved this summer and they had one of those for less than a week, is it better to leave you belongings in the driveway so people can have a free for all? First world problem....NIMBY at its finest.


3 pizzas and 24 beer and me and my crew could have'er done in hours...

PM me for me " the deets"
. Thats how it used to be, he is near 70 and most of us semi young strong backs don't live in town!
Sure do love Rutland!!

MAPearce likes this post.
phasyluck
Übergod
 
Posts: 1687
Likes: 275 posts
Liked in: 636 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby MAPearce » Dec 27th, 2017, 8:13 pm

. Thats how it used to be, he is near 70 and most of us semi young strong backs don't live in town!


2 pizzas , 2 bottles of red wine ,6 day passes from "the home" , some war stories and a ride there and back ?

We'll git it done ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10295
Likes: 1266 posts
Liked in: 3339 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 27th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Catri wrote:
GordonH wrote:Curious question:
Did the home have a driveway, if not were would you suggest dropping the storage container at.


The home does have a driveway, quite a roomy driveway at that and a generous front yard as well. Even if it didn't, not having a driveway doesn't entitle you to use public property for your personal storage needs.

My issue is not with people renting shipping containers, it's with the container companies knowingly and illegally placing their containers on public property. The neighbour directly across the street from me has had one on their property for over a year and it doesn't bother me one bit. I would definitely consider using one if I were moving or renovating and you can be sure that it would be entirely contained on my own property for the duration.


You said the home had no real estate sign, so you’re assuming it may be for storing contents during renovations. I’m curious - have you called the container supplier? Do you know if they obtained permission from bylaw to place the container there? Do you know the residents of the property? Have you ever talked to anyone from that property? How long have you lived there? How long have the residents of the property been there? Do you know anything at all about the residents of the property? They may in fact have a very good reason for placing the container where they did, however unless you come out from behind your curtain and hang up the phone before hitting the speed dial button for Bylaws, you’ll never know. Yet, you’ll continue to peer out the window and curse under your breath every time your glance crosses the container and continue to vent about how wrong it is for it to be there to anyone that will listen - except for the very people that could answer all your questions and concerns - your neighbors. I thank my lucky stars I don’t have neighbors like that - and do my best not to be a neighbor like that.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1229
Likes: 983 posts
Liked in: 1341 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Hmmm » Dec 27th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Queen K wrote:Oh man, I can't believe this. The shipping container is there for ONE freakin day?

Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Now if it's there for a month, okay, then do some investigative work, but for Gods Sake, much ado about nothing.

Go do something constructive. Seriously.

You can really tell who doesn’t get out much by the stuff they complain about. This is a non issue, but somebody felt it important enough to start a thread about some stupid shipping container. Man oh man.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2571
Likes: 392 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Catri » Dec 27th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Oh for pity sake Walter try reading all the words instead of going off on half of them, I have said I have no intention of calling the City about this. I have done so in the past when another neighbour had their shipping container on the street for months on end and learned that no indeed, you can't place those containers on the road allowance legally. I have lived in this house for coming up on 28 years, not that I think that's particularly relevant to the discussion and no, I don't know the residents of that particular house as it's quite a distance up the street from me, in fact, I can't see the container from my house. You paint me as some kind of curtain twitcher and totally miss the point of my post, which was that the businesses who rent these containers are placing them irresponsibly. I have stated that three times in this thread, I don't know how to use smaller words so the self-appointed arbiters of what people are allowed to be concerned about here will understand.

lightspeed likes this post.
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1211
Likes: 1087 posts
Liked in: 877 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Hmmm » Dec 28th, 2017, 12:02 am

But you still started a thread about it. Lol
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2571
Likes: 392 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Catri » Dec 28th, 2017, 1:46 am

Hmmm wrote:But you still started a thread about it. Lol
...and you posted in it [icon_lol2.gif]
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1211
Likes: 1087 posts
Liked in: 877 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Queen K » Dec 28th, 2017, 6:17 am

Hmmm wrote:
Queen K wrote:Oh man, I can't believe this. The shipping container is there for ONE freakin day?

Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Now if it's there for a month, okay, then do some investigative work, but for Gods Sake, much ado about nothing.

Go do something constructive. Seriously.

You can really tell who doesn’t get out much by the stuff they complain about. This is a non issue, but somebody felt it important enough to start a thread about some stupid shipping container. Man oh man.


Know what? When I renovated my house, I should have rented a shipping container, packed my stuff into it and let the workers have more room here, I would have fewer things wreaked or full of dust. But I also have the luxury of a long driveway. Not everyone does. And containers cost.

So I'm thinking that these people either had to do what I did or are downsizing their house big time, or moving and it's easier to unload big items all at once than one move at a time.

OMIGOD, the humanity!
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.

WalterWhite likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 50000
Likes: 10009 posts
Liked in: 10717 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 28th, 2017, 8:48 am

Catri wrote:Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.


Despite the fact it's "parallel parked" in front of their house and not impacting traffic, and despite the fact you later admitted you can't even see it after pulling back your curtains to look down the street, and despite the fact you claim to have called bylaw before about the issue with another neighbor on your street, and despite the fact it bothers you so much you created a discussion topic about it, and despite the fact you've yet to call the actual offending container company to discuss the matter, and despite the fact you have no idea who rented it and for what purpose or how long it may be there, and despite the fact it clearly and admittedly annoys you (your words), - despite all this - I'm the one who's missing the point? Right.

If you were truly concerned about the issues of legality, you'd have called city bylaw and the container company to have your questions and concerns answered, rather than creating a complaint topic on a discussion board and then back-peddling when others call you out on the simple fact you're doing nothing but making someone's difficult day that much more difficult by demanding rules (that you aren't even sure about) be enforced because something you can't even see - bothers you. I think my conclusions of the scenario in your 'hood posted previously are far closer to the mark than you'd like to admit.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1229
Likes: 983 posts
Liked in: 1341 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Catri » Dec 28th, 2017, 10:54 am

Walter, I haven't backpedaled a thing. All I've done is try to reiterate and clarify what I've said in an attempt to dispel your apparent commitment to misreading it as something far more sinister than it is. There's no point in arguing with you further. The ironic thing is that you seem to be waaaay more worked up about this thread than I am about the shipping container.
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1211
Likes: 1087 posts
Liked in: 877 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Postby Fancy » Dec 28th, 2017, 10:58 am

Catri wrote:Walter, I haven't backpedaled a thing. All I've done is try to reiterate what I've said in an attempt to dispel your apparent commitment to misreading it as something far more sinister than it is. There's no point in arguing with you further. The ironic thing is that you seem to be waaaay more worked up about this thread than I am about the shipping container.

You haven't backpedalled and it's obvious who has bothered to read your first post. Seems that posters have forgotten what the discussion board is for (lively exchange of ideas through constructive debate). Complaining about your post is funny to me never mind making wild assumptions. I'd wait and see if it does impede traffic (then of course make a call) and I wouldn't wait 6 months either. A lot of people are ignorant of the laws.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43836
Likes: 1020 posts
Liked in: 5209 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests