Affordable units on Clement

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Affordable units on Clement

Post by MAPearce »

Even Steven wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Give it up on the "run down , needs revitalization " crap ...

Ok, let's see.

Brand new building OR six crack shacks.

What's better for the area???

Hmmmm, that's a toughie.

OFFS !

You gotta get over that the North End is just a crack haven ..

It ISN'T . It NEVER really was .

It's where LOTS of people can still go to work AND live .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

W105 wrote:let's not forget the 10 yr rental cap on those said rents...that's pretty darn good considering how quickly rents have increased here..

58 units with 2,3 & 4 bedroom units with 72 parking spots (might make it a tad easier for the small business owners to find employees who can live downtown and walk to work..I know a few small business owners downtown who can't find any employees because there's nowhere half reasonable to rent downtown)

and it's still not good enough for some ???

also, let's stop assuming every renter is gonna "trash" the place...many don't..

AND, damn rights CMHC should be doing this...check out their yrly profits..they also increased them again for every new homeowner that had only 5% down this yr...CMHC is only here to protect the Banks (cause them poor old Banks could suffer if they give out high ratio loans and might need protection....pfffft )

I'm interested in this idea that small businesses downtown have staffing issues because people expect to be able to walk to work. I realise my experience is anecdotal, but I don't know anyone who would forgo a decent job just because they can't walk to it from their house. Perhaps there are other factors at play there.

Having said that, I think this is a fairly good development if it ends up being what's in the proposal. Clement is an arterial road and the days of small single family homes fronting it are probably coming to an end. That said, I think the North End has it's charms and wouldn't want to see the whole area redeveloped to multi-family housing.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Ten percent off rent for a box in this town isn't a good deal. The real estate market in this city isn't based on "what it cost to live" rather than what it costs to WANT..

That means that those that can live here , when they want to , don't give a phlying fuque about those that have to year round ...

The Mayor and council seems to have forgotten that when they approved this.

Lets see , 600 sq ft at best for 990 a month for ten years then 600k each after that ?
Last edited by MAPearce on Dec 31st, 2017, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

you keep forgetting that there's a 10 yr rental cap on those rents...
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

MAPearce wrote:Ten percent off rent for a box in this town isn't a good deal. The real estate market in this city isn't based on "what it cost to live" rather than what it costs to WANT..

That means that those that can live here , when they want to , don't give a phlying fuque about those that have to year round ...

The Mayor and council seems to have forgotten that when they approved this.

Lets see , 600 sq ft at best for 990 a month for ten years then 600k each after that ?

Alright folks - it hasn’t gone to Council yet. If you are so vehementially opposed to providing rental accommodation - there is still time to have your say and show off your NIMBY attitude! :biggrin:
Last edited by TMBOkanagan on Dec 31st, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

MAPearce wrote:
OFFS !

You gotta get over that the North End is just a crack haven ..

It ISN'T . It NEVER really was .

It's where LOTS of people can still go to work AND live .

I concur. Some lovely reno'd homes around that whole area. A few run down places for sure but they're being bought up and updated regularly. People should get out more and look around.

Not everyone needs a 5,000 sf triple garage McMansion made of twigs.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I don't know what the best use of that property in the buffer zone betwixt
single family residential and Industrial is.
I'm pretty sure this is not it though.

It is the only viable Truck Route left to access and egress the Industrial area.

People don't like trucks.
People form lobby groups.
Lobby groups pest Government.
Government pests the easiest targets.

My biased opinion.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote:You gotta get over that the North End is just a crack haven ..

I didn't say the whole North End is, I said those houses. And ask any police officer, he'll tell you who lives there lol. Let's just say if something was stolen in the area, it would end up in one of those houses.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I didn't say the whole North End is, I said those houses. And ask any police officer, he'll tell you who lives there lol. Let's just say if something was stolen in the area, it would end up in one of those houses.

Some , maybe....

Bu the ratio of those that are to those that aren't wouldn't be any different in comparison to any other neighbourhood in this city .

You need to get out more .
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

those 6 houses are not in the swanky part of town..never were...they are old small war houses and yes, I remember alot of criminal activity going on in a few way back then..can't see how that changed much..

still don't get it...58 brand new rental units (with 72 parking spots) with a rent of 10% less of market value and a 10 yr cap on those said rents and someone can really see a downside to this ??

I remember partying at Ogies which is right where the Grand sits now..we even knew way back then that we better enjoy this while we can cause there was no way in hell that is wasn't going to be developed in the future..
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It ain't often I gotta ask, but refresh me about Ogies...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Whether we like it or not, change is a comin'. Higher density buildings are taking over the areas of Kelowna that are close to amenities in all neighbourhoods, not just the downtown.
There is a real need for affordable rental units, or just rental units period. Depending upon how well the building is managed, it has the potential to be a decent place to live for those who are not able to purchase a home.
I have to say that some of you should be embarrassed. It doesn't matter what City Council does or doesn't do, it's always judged by you to be wrong!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Do you think that putting up a tall building across from the Train Station, without parking for everyone in the building
Is a great idea? DO You think they should Continue to do so ?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

There are 72 parking stalls included with the building. There are special parking areas for vehicle shares and bicycles. There are those who choose not to own a vehicle. The building is within walking distance to businesses and the bus loop.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I was talking about a high rise at Ellis, that had parking requirements waived or modified.. just like suddenly a rooftop restaurant is allowed beside the library... that sort of thing..

Return to “Central Okanagan”