2018 Property Assessments

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

2018 Property Assessments

Post by Temet Nosce »

I viewed a few in my area and DLC assessments another large increase on property assessment again this year. IF...if... this generates additional tax revenue just hoping it is put to good use--my wish list road improvements would be nice.
Last edited by Temet Nosce on Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny24
Board Meister

Re: 2018 Property Assessments

Post by johnny24 »

Temet Nosce wrote:I viewed a few in my area and DLC assessments another large increase on property assessment again this year. IF...if... this generates additional tax revenue just hoping it is put to good use--my wish list road improvements would be nice.

No additional tax revenue will be generated because your assessment went up.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Here we go again :popcorn:
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

stevemic wrote:Here we go again :popcorn:

At least she didn't wish for better snow removal with the non-existent additional revenue.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

johnny24 wrote:
stevemic wrote:Here we go again :popcorn:

At least she didn't wish for better snow removal with the non-existent additional revenue.

I think the key word in the OP was "IF"?!
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It's amazing that people still don't understand how their property taxes are calculated.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There should be a special tax on people who don't understand how property taxes work.

P.S. My house is up $50,000 over last year! That's a 10% increase!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Glad some can read.....I am aware how taxes are calculated hence the "IF". Having said that--my assessment increase is over 120g's which is substantial IMO and LIKELY (not sure yet) more then the average which would in fact increase property taxes. Posted to see how others assessments are coming in to get a sense "IF" may also see a tax increase. Also, surprising to me to see 2 years in a row such large increases in assessed values.
Last edited by Temet Nosce on Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

You know what is worse than folks who do not understand property taxes?
Those who do not understand the word "IF"

To many dog pilers in this thread, not enough thinkers.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Hassel99 wrote:You know what is worse than folks who do not understand property taxes?

Nope... what he said is still wrong.

He specifically said "if this (as in his increased assessment) generates additional tax revenue just hoping it is put to good use."

The property assessments have nothing to do with the city gaining additional tax revenue. The city budgeted for an increase in property taxes and whether assessments go up or down, the city is getting the additional revenue.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Hassel99 wrote:You know what is worse than folks who do not understand property taxes?

Excellent post...I was wondering if it is just me and some clichés or what??? Kinda seems like 'some' on here really prefer to be an *bleep***le versus have a discussion. I like your term "dog pilers" that fits.

So back to the topic.... BTW I am not whining about a tax increase "IF" there is one--just hoping if so put to good use (eg., road improvements). Having said that, I am surprised about the increasing rate of assessed values over past 2 years in DLC and contemplating house prices etc....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:P.S. My house is up $50,000 over last year! That's a 10% increase!

Our went up $80k so closer to 15%. Not sure if I should be happy or sad.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

There is no "if" in this discussion. The city budgeted for an increase... the revenue they're getting from property taxes IS going up. The assessments have no bearing on it. That you keep saying "if" indicates you don't understand how this works.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Jonrox wrote:There is no "if" in this discussion. The city budgeted for an increase... the revenue they're getting from property taxes IS going up. The assessments have no bearing on it. That you keep saying "if" indicates you don't understand how this works.

https://info.bcassessment.ca/services-a ... Taxes.aspx

A common misconception is that a significant change in your assessed value will result in a proportionately significant change in your property taxes.
The most important factor is not how much your assessed value has changed, but how your assessed value has changed relative to the average change for your property class in your municipality or taxing jurisdiction. You can find your property class on your assessment notice next to your assessed value.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Should the thread title not read 2018 Property Assessments??

Return to “Central Okanagan”