2018 Property Assessments

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: 2018 Property Assessments

Post by Bpeep »

Fancy wrote:Too bad the assessments don't mention any improvements.

The dump I dwell in went up 110k.
They're missing a couple bedrooms and a bathroom, likely coz they couldn't glean the info off the non exsistant permit.
I'll correct it for them well before I decide to sell so they can amend the assessment.
I'll tell em when the time is right.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Up 98k,. They show an extra 1500 square feet 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms, time to appeal or lose my home owner grant
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

cutter7 wrote:Up 98k,. They show an extra 1500 square feet 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms, time to appeal or lose my home owner grant

That's likely because rather than actually doing their jobs and viewing your property to arrive at their assessment the square footage of your home is now calculated from satellite imagery.
To bad for you if you have large overhangs, a covered deck/patio or carport. All covered space is now included in "their calculation" of the square footage of living space of your home. My home has 24" eves so the homes square footage magically jumped 300 square feet the other year and my neighbors jumped 890 to suddenly include his covered deck.
When an inquiry was made we were both told "we must have done illegal additions" and that the authorities were now "catching up to us". They would not listen to reason so forced us both to take a day off work to provide evidence at a dispute hearing. Even then BC Assessments would not admit any fault even though the board voted unanimously in our favors and made BC Assessments adjust their erroneous records and the value the over inflated values they had placed on our homes. Low and behold next year both our assessments still showed the incorrect square footages and therefore incorrect assessed values. Even then it still took a call from my neighbors lawyer threatening them with legal action to see their error corrected and updated assessments issued.
Assessors in BC do not actually assess your property. They guesstimate a value from the comfort of their desks based previous data that is not in any way corroborated, from images from space and using a mysteriously prescribed percentage increase for the area. Sounds like a job any teenager semi-adept at video games is over qualified for.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Up more than $100k.

I wonder of multi-family units' assessments increased at a different rate than single family?

This whole thing is nuts. :200:
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 4th, 2018, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Just got my assessment, says it went up based on sales in the area, so perhaps the house condition doesn't play that big a factor.
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cv23 wrote:
cutter7 wrote:Up 98k,. They show an extra 1500 square feet 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms, time to appeal or lose my home owner grant

That's likely because rather than actually doing their jobs and viewing your property to arrive at their assessment the square footage of your home is now calculated from satellite imagery.

They will show up in person to confirm what they see on Google Earth. It happened to my in-laws. The assessor showed up at their door because he found some extra cabins on Google Earth. He did a look and realized that both cabins have unfinished walls inside and out, and thus don't count in the assessment.

And the extra bonus is that my in-laws are just inside the land awarded to the Tsilhqot'in National Government by the Supreme court, so his property value tanked by $300,000 from the previous year (that's a 50% decrease in value).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 4th, 2018, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to bait.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

normaM wrote:Just got my assessment, says it went up based on sales in the area, so perhaps the house condition doesn't play that big a factor.

Mine says the same and went up by 27%.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Bman wrote:
Fancy wrote:Too bad the assessments don't mention any improvements.

The dump I dwell in went up 110k.
They're missing a couple bedrooms and a bathroom, likely coz they couldn't glean the info off the non exsistant permit.
I'll correct it for them well before I decide to sell so they can amend the assessment.
I'll tell em when the time is right.

Gosh, you make it sound as if you had secret rooms in your dwelling.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:Gosh, you make it sound as if you had secret rooms in your dwelling.

If you had been around longer you would know. lol

Sorry it's a secret now and I can't tell you.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

When I bought this house I used a Realtor and a lawyer. Then 3 years later someone from the neighbourhood said didn't realize you had a second storey. Don't - long story short BC assessments made an error and so for 3 years I paid taxes to the City on nearly 1500 ft that didn't exist. BC assessments refused to believe the photos I sent ( are you sure there isn't an upstairs?) Sent someone out. Major surprise no second story. City of K town refused to refund me the near $1600, Lawyer said the paper work was clear, single .. BC assessments said not our problem.
Yea, going to claim I OWN that downtown Bear :)
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Mine only went up 20%. Hopefully this means a break on taxes judging by what you all posting.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Even Steven wrote:Mine only went up 20%. Hopefully this means a break on taxes judging by what you all posting.

Your property taxes will increase by a minimum of 3.6% this year if you live in Kelowna. I guarantee it :up:
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Mine went up about $80,000

Return to “Central Okanagan”