Flood Review

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Flood Review

Post by Fancy »

steve mc wrote:why didn;t they know thats the job,
No one can predict everything that will happen and there were a lot of variables to consider. Hindsight doesn't serve any purpose laying blame but can serve to help in the future. There were rare circumstances that would not have been foreseen.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Let's try the opposite:

The operator had a feeling that these conditions would present themselves and thus lead to a flood. They opened the flood gates early and allowed water to flow down the river. The following are scenario's which could potentially play out.

1) Their feeling was correct, this stopped the flood and they are hailed as hero's and monuments are made out of bronze in their honour.
2) They open the flood gates, the area's past Kelowna also have sever flooding and due to the initial push from Kelowna the floods downstream are more sever causing increased damages. People in Kelowna are happy and rejoice its the best place in the world and this proves it.
3) The feeling they have is not correct, to much initial water is drawn out and for the rest of the year Kelowna deals with low water levels causing issues and emergencies with fish migrations, water shortages, etc. People build wooden statues of the operator and promptly burn them.
4) The operator does what they did now and Kelowna residence go online to bash and tell them how to do their job because everyone is an expert.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

just opening the "flood gates" at the last minute does dick, this problem began six months prior, mission creek during runoff puts more water in than the Penticton channel can remove, when you bring all the other creeks into play youre draining a bathtub through a straw while filling it with a firehose. Normally water is released gradually over the year for some reason this didn't seem to happen or not as much anyway, so why? that's the 150 million dollar question ,mistakes were made someone should be accountable sadly we will never know because its easier to tell the public its mother "natures fault".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's a review for a reason. Variables that hadn't occurred in previous years to examine.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Some people make it as if their on the hook for the entire amount.

We all share, so a couple bucks each, more money gets pizzed away daily on
a lot more frivolous stuff.

I had waterfowl living in my front yard, Beavers swimming in and collecting
willow branches from my tree.

Whatever, I'm not laying blame.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

...carp not getting out of the way...
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

Try this.

Dredge Mill Creek through town and McDugall Creek on the Westside to avoid flooding from sediment and organics that have built up over the decades.

Ohhhh...wait, spawning Kokanee have priority.

Re-engineer the dam controlling the lake level at the Penticton channel by increasing the spill capacity.

Ohhhh...wait, that would cost money and affect the Lake Okanagan ecology.

Sorry. There is no solution for people. Just don't buy waterfront or creekside.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

creeks can be dreged there are windows when fish are out of creeks we use to drege out every 10th year, nothing had been done for 20+ years the penticton channel really needs work. while we continue to call them creeks in reality there are controlled strom sewer, a pro active approch is better than a reactive approch,
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-215800-1-.htm#215800
One look at the mountains around the Okanagan would tell you the region has a healthy snowpack.

Initial measurements taken by the provincial River Forecast Centre confirm as much.

Data collected on Jan. 1 show the Okanagan snowpack is at 123 per cent of normal. Readings at the same time last year showed a snowpack just 79 per cent of normal.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

79% = flood; 123% = drought? Asking for a friend.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Its cuz u drove to work. Basran is watching. Floods and fires are on the way. Walk to work people. Save the planet .

Peace and unicorns
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Its cuz u drove to work. Basran is watching. Floods and fires are on the way. Walk to work people. Save the planet .

Peace and unicorns

Your post makes zero sense to me. How one gets to work has nothing to do with the mayor, fires or floods.
KarlaL

Snow Pack 123% of Normal!!!

Post by KarlaL »

This time last year they say we were at 79%. Now here we are January 9th of 2018 and we are at 123%. I pray every night that the "keeper of the gate" on Okanagan Lake will be told to drain the lake BEFORE we get into huge trouble again like last year.

Can we please learn from past mistakes.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -of-normal
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215800 heads up city of kelowing , you morons ,might want to looking into draining the lake a little earlier that normal this year if it's not to much to ask
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
KarlaL

Post by KarlaL »

123% of normal as of January 9th. I sure hope they open the gates and drain the lake ahead of the flooding this year!

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”