Flood Review

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Flood Review

Post by Grandan »

swamp1967 wrote:Anyone heard what pro-active plans the municipalities, the Province of BC, the Regional District putting are putting in place, besides adjusting the lake level? Ministry of Forests still hasn't followed up on the recommendations to their 2014 report ("LOWER MISSION CREEK HYDRAULIC CAPACITY STUDY KELOWNA, BC, March 2014) to remove gravel and fix critical parts of the Mission Creek dyke. I'm sure other creeks and rivers are being equally ignored.

There is a good reason why the province mandates the geodetic elevation that homes can be built at when adjacent to water bodies.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

This is also usually about the time an annual statement is released by the Central Okanagan Basin Water Board that "despite higher than normal snowpack levels, drought conditions are expected and water conservation methods will start to be implemented in the coming weeks".
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Grandan wrote:
swamp1967 wrote:Anyone heard what pro-active plans the municipalities, the Province of BC, the Regional District putting are putting in place, besides adjusting the lake level? Ministry of Forests still hasn't followed up on the recommendations to their 2014 report ("LOWER MISSION CREEK HYDRAULIC CAPACITY STUDY KELOWNA, BC, March 2014) to remove gravel and fix critical parts of the Mission Creek dyke. I'm sure other creeks and rivers are being equally ignored.

There is a good reason why the province mandates the geodetic elevation that homes can be built at when adjacent to water bodies.

Do you have a reference for that? I'm not aware it applies here. Also, that would probably depend on flood maps, which are over 30 years old along Mission Creek.

KLO - Mission Creek Bridge - March 2018
KLO - Mission Creek Bridge - March 2018

As you can see from the above photo, Ministry of Forests and Lands hasn't even bothered to remove the gravel under the bridge. So what are they waiting for? A debris jam to destroy the bridge? How many other places is this happening?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I could have saved tax payers a million bucks (or whatever it cost). But, hey, they have money to burn to tell you that the sky is blue...

An independent review of last spring's historic flooding across the Southern Interior has concluded decisions made at the Penticton dam and throughout the Okanagan Lake Regulation System were appropriate and operationally sound.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221084
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:I could have saved tax payers a million bucks (or whatever it cost). But, hey, they have money to burn to tell you that the sky is blue...

An independent review of last spring's historic flooding across the Southern Interior has concluded decisions made at the Penticton dam and throughout the Okanagan Lake Regulation System were appropriate and operationally sound.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221084

:up: Exactly.

So all the time and money spent on this review, simply confirmed what most of us were saying last year already, before the review.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Old Techie wrote:So all the time and money spent on this review, simply confirmed what most of us were saying last year already, before the review.

Too much water, too fast?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

swamp1967 wrote:

Grandan wrote:There is a good reason why the province mandates the geodetic elevation that homes can be built at when adjacent to water bodies.

Do you have a reference for that? I'm not aware it applies here. Also, that would probably depend on flood maps, which are over 30 years old along Mission Creek.

20180309 - Mission Creek KLO Bridge (Resized).jpg

As you can see from the above photo, Ministry of Forests and Lands hasn't even bothered to remove the gravel under the bridge. So what are they waiting for? A debris jam to destroy the bridge? How many other places is this happening?

There are endless studies but this one references the geodetic elevation for Okanagan Lake.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wsd/data_searc ... _river.pdf
According to this document the province has shifted the liability onto the municipal governments.
https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... ek_faq.pdf
Waste not
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

For those that are interested, the BC Flood and Wildfire review is coming to Kelowna on March 28. Details on the link:
http://bcfloodfirereview.ca/engagement/

Anyone know if a copy of the report is available on-line that was mentioned in the article?
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/221084/Flood-response-appropriate
Among, other things, the article mentions groundwater as contributing to the flooding as identified in the report. Duh! I mentioned groundwater as an issue on these forums long ago and pointed out that Ministry of Forests, Land and Natural Resources only ever seemed to mention snow pack and creek flows in identifying flood risk. I've never ever heard them mention anything in the media or elsewhere about groundwater until now. Yet in the spring of 2017, it was evident at least in my area, that large qaunities of ground water were on the move as I saw new springs flowing and old springs with more water than normal. The Ministry I believe vastly underestimated that variable and I would like to see what the report says.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:So all the time and money spent on this review, simply confirmed what most of us were saying last year already, before the review.

Well yes that, but even more important the fact that the amount of water being released at Penticton was appropriate based on data and conditions at the time.
andrea-lake

Post by andrea-lake »

This is not the time for complacency. Please see comments under "Monitoring the lake level to avoid flood". The public needs to keep regular watch to make sure they stay on course. Here's a link to the real-time Okanagan Lake Level:

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... ax=&y2Min=
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

There's hardly any need for another thread talking about the same thing, albeit with a modified title.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

andrea-lake

Post by andrea-lake »

The City of Kelowna has now joined the Regional District in warning of a potential flood:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221928

This could easily be avoided by lowering the lake to a level of 1.22 cm by Mid-April. That was Mr. Reimer’s stated goal – to draw it down by 0.5 cm per day for 20 days when the lake was at 1.32 cm in early March. After the lake level rose to 1.35 cm from the heavy rainstorm on March 23rd, officials opened the gates at Penticton to increase the discharge slightly from 30 cubic millimetres per second (m3/s) to 37 m3/s. Unfortunately, that’s not enough and the lake level is not dropping sufficiently to reach the target of 1.22 cm by mid-April.

Chart of OK lake.PNG

There’s lots of room to increase the discharge at Penticton. During the flood last June, they were able to increase it at Penticton to over 75 m3/s ‎but right now it is only about 35 m3/s. We need preventive action taken before it’s too late.

Penticton Chart.PNG
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I think the weather over the next month will give us a pretty clear idea of what kind of flooding we may be faced with come mid May. Worst case scenario would be a cooler April - mid May with high precipitation followed by a heat wave in late May and into June. Too much melting too quickly is the troublemaker.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

alanjh595 wrote:

Im no flood expert, but isnt that how almost all floods manage to happen...

Too much water, too fast

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”