Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Post by Omnitheo »

What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Omnitheo wrote:What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.

At least the ground composition is of a more load bearing nature.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Omnitheo wrote:What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.

It's not as enticing given that a couple of the corner lots at Hwy33/Rutland Road stood empty for over a decade before finally being developed.

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Old Techie wrote:

It's not as enticing given that a couple of the corner lots at Hwy33/Rutland Road stood empty for over a decade before finally being developed.

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.

If anything it gets worse and worse.
The owner (A.S.) is happy with the leases he has tied up in there and the mall got hacked up because of it. It's caused its allure as a shopping mall to vanish.
There's been a few tenants whose businesses have failed because of it.
Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bman wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

The owner (A.S.) is happy with the leases he has tied up in there and the mall got hacked up because of it. It's caused its allure as a shopping mall to vanish.
Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.

Can't say I'm surprised I figured as much.

If it weren't for Shoppers, Save On, and the lottery kiosk, there wouldn't be anyone in there but a couple of old farts warming the benches.

That place has just never screamed "thriving" to me, even as far back as twenty years.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Dianne closed the lottery kiosk.
She was a victim of the mall aisle being closed off.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bman wrote:Dianne closed the lottery kiosk.

Wow, with that gone there's little reason for the old farts to be warming the benches, so the place seems to have gone even further downhill than I'd imagined.

Guess it has been a while since I've been in there. :D
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Old Techie wrote:Wow, with that gone there's little reason for the old farts to be warming the benches, so the place seems to have gone even further downhill than I'd imagined.

Guess it has been a while since I've been in there. :D

Meanwhile the expanded mall in Glenmore on Kane is doing a booming business.
Who wants to drive over the hill to OPM and fight traffic and parking when you have a tidy mall on our doorstep.
It is too bad COK did nor allocate nearly enough commercial space Glenmore for more of the merchants we would love to see in the area.
I am glad that someone was listening when I called for a medical lab, this location is fantastic for me.
Still no auto repair, place to get tires changed etc.
Don't you just love it when some planner decides that there should be a limit on services available in "the Village".
Waste not
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

There is one in Save On Foods
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe the second downtown would actually have something worth going to shop at, since first one doesn't. :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the one and only thing good about downtown is mad mango went there today
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glenmore is running out of room for more services. There’s the new developments at Dilworth, but most of the empty real estate is going to housing. There are still a few lots beyond valley, but I’m not sure if these are ALR or not. There is also one large lot near Drysdale and sutton actually, but it appears to be zoned residential currently.

http://maps.kelowna.ca/public/mapviewer ... 4.66868037
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.[/quote]

Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.[/quote]

Does anyone remember the toy store that was in the basement, back when it was Shoppers Village? Or Stedman's over by the drug store?

Return to “Central Okanagan”