Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Re: Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 7th, 2018, 4:19 am

What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2925 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 7th, 2018, 11:41 am

Omnitheo wrote:What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.

At least the ground composition is of a more load bearing nature.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2763 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 7th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Omnitheo wrote:What was Rutland’s “downtown” before it was annexed by kelowna? Highway 33 and Rutland rd? No reason they can’t develop that area further. I remember a council meeting several ears back about increasing building heights in Rutland. I just don’t think for developers it’s as enticing of an area to develop as somewhere with a lake view.

It's not as enticing given that a couple of the corner lots at Hwy33/Rutland Road stood empty for over a decade before finally being developed.

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5426 posts

Postby Bpeep » Jan 7th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Old Techie wrote:

It's not as enticing given that a couple of the corner lots at Hwy33/Rutland Road stood empty for over a decade before finally being developed.

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.

If anything it gets worse and worse.
The owner (A.S.) is happy with the leases he has tied up in there and the mall got hacked up because of it. It's caused its allure as a shopping mall to vanish.
There's been a few tenants whose businesses have failed because of it.
Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.
♡ Unlike. You like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9395 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 7th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Bman wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

The owner (A.S.) is happy with the leases he has tied up in there and the mall got hacked up because of it. It's caused its allure as a shopping mall to vanish.
Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.

Can't say I'm surprised I figured as much.

If it weren't for Shoppers, Save On, and the lottery kiosk, there wouldn't be anyone in there but a couple of old farts warming the benches.

That place has just never screamed "thriving" to me, even as far back as twenty years.
- Robert A. Heinlein

voice of reason likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Postby Bpeep » Jan 7th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Dianne closed the lottery kiosk.
She was a victim of the mall aisle being closed off.
♡ Unlike. You like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9395 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 7th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Bman wrote:Dianne closed the lottery kiosk.

Wow, with that gone there's little reason for the old farts to be warming the benches, so the place seems to have gone even further downhill than I'd imagined.

Guess it has been a while since I've been in there. :D
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Postby Grandan » Jan 7th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Old Techie wrote:Wow, with that gone there's little reason for the old farts to be warming the benches, so the place seems to have gone even further downhill than I'd imagined.

Guess it has been a while since I've been in there. :D

Meanwhile the expanded mall in Glenmore on Kane is doing a booming business.
Who wants to drive over the hill to OPM and fight traffic and parking when you have a tidy mall on our doorstep.
It is too bad COK did nor allocate nearly enough commercial space Glenmore for more of the merchants we would love to see in the area.
I am glad that someone was listening when I called for a medical lab, this location is fantastic for me.
Still no auto repair, place to get tires changed etc.
Don't you just love it when some planner decides that there should be a limit on services available in "the Village".
Waste not

Omnitheo likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 790 posts

Postby stevemic » Jan 7th, 2018, 4:10 pm

There is one in Save On Foods
You can write whatever you like as long as the Mods agree with it
stevemic
Fledgling

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Maybe the second downtown would actually have something worth going to shop at, since first one doesn't. :laugh:
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Acadie-Bathurst Titan, OHL Hamilton Bulldogs, WHL Swift Current Broncos & Host Team/Regina Pats

3 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6848 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby LTD » Jan 7th, 2018, 5:44 pm

the one and only thing good about downtown is mad mango went there today
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2488 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Glenmore is running out of room for more services. There’s the new developments at Dilworth, but most of the empty real estate is going to housing. There are still a few lots beyond valley, but I’m not sure if these are ALR or not. There is also one large lot near Drysdale and sutton actually, but it appears to be zoned residential currently.

http://maps.kelowna.ca/public/mapviewer ... 4.66868037
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2925 posts

Postby 7600736 » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Then you have places such as Plaza 33 aka the Geritol Mall which always had a significant number of empty units. Haven't been in there for a long time though so that may have improved.[/quote]

Imo if it wasn't for the grocery and the drug store it would be a slum mall. It's borderline there now.[/quote]

Does anyone remember the toy store that was in the basement, back when it was Shoppers Village? Or Stedman's over by the drug store?

Liked in: 70 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan