Public bathrooms

Public bathrooms

Postby Queen K » Jan 7th, 2018, 7:40 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215498

$675K?

What in gods name? And I hope they improve upon the one at HotSands Beach.

First of all, for those who don't know, the bathrooms at Boyce-Gyro have been a disgraceful source of embarrassment for a very long time.

Kelowna, for all its tourist attracting, hasn't been up to snuff on the beaches it's supposedly proud of. Disgusting, old, and out of date since 1979.

Even the public bathrooms at Sun-Oka are well renovated. But here? Anyone gone to the one at Sarsons Beach? Rotary? Well, they all need renovated. But $675 for ONE? What gives there and who gets that contract? It is out of this World expensive.

The odd part is that it is going to be year round. YEAR ROUND Open is needed downtown, not a Boyce-Gyro. Because guess what is going to happen in Lower Mission once word gets round that the bathrooms are year 'round.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

5 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12237 posts

Re: Public bathrooms

Postby Jflem1983 » Jan 7th, 2018, 8:29 am

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-215498-1-.htm#215498

$675K?

First of all, for those who don't know, the bathrooms at Boyce-Gyro have been a disgraceful source of embarrassment for a very long time.

Kelowna, for all its tourist attracting, hasn't been up to snuff on the beaches it's supposedly proud of. Disgusting, old, and out of date since 1979.

Even the public bathrooms at Sun-Oka are well renovated. But here? Anyone gone to the one at Sarsons Beach? Rotary? Well, they all need renovated. But $675 for ONE? What gives there and who gets that contract? It is out of this World expensive.

The odd part is that it is going to be year round. YEAR ROUND Open is needed downtown, not a Boyce-Gyro. Because guess what is going to happen in Lower Mission once word gets round that the bathrooms are year 'round.

Hopefully they put a naloxone dispenser in there. I like a nice warm spot to shoot up.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

6 people like this post.
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2368 posts

Postby Bpeep » Jan 7th, 2018, 8:31 am

Lol. An almost 3/4 million dollar bathroom on property they already have.
Only govt can do that.
It'll be warmly welcomed by the crack and meth heads.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.

7 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9496 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 7th, 2018, 8:41 am

Maybe the year round opening is to cater to this crowd;

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/21300/Kelowna-s-Dirty-Secret

4 people like this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 2323 posts

Postby thekid3_16 » Jan 7th, 2018, 9:28 am

Come on, really? Are we doing this again? I guess some would be proud spending $150 on a porta potty from Walmart at our Premier Beach. I would like to think we can be a little bit better than that. Have some pride in our city, learn a bit about an issue, and then comment accurately on it. Let's all try to be a bit better in the new year.
thekid3_16

Liked in: 0 post

Postby normaM » Jan 7th, 2018, 9:40 am

I wonder if they will still keep the toilet tissue locked on the holder? Needs new instead of trying to reno.. disagree about keeping it out year round.
Don't think the cost out of line tho. Showers, locked storage. Of course it will be a dealers mecca but
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

3 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2230 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 7th, 2018, 9:42 am

It just seems (on the surface at least) that such a large amount of money is needed to build a bathroom.
I have never tried Yoga but I bent over to pick up my keys once so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10448 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:14 am

Bsuds wrote:It just seems (on the surface at least) that such a large amount of money is needed to build a bathroom.

My 22’ x 30’ garage cost just over 40k. I realize that my garage is just a big empty box but another 630k to add fixtures?

7 people like this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 2323 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:19 am

It doesn't seem too high once you factor in the cost of demolishing the old washroom and restoring the land under it and the cost of infrastructure to relocate the new washroom to a central location.
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1132 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:45 am

TreeGuy wrote:Maybe the year round opening is to cater to this crowd;

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/21300/Kelowna-s-Dirty-Secret

junkies have to earn money somehow to buy there drugs
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5370 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:47 am

Bman wrote:Lol. An almost 3/4 million dollar bathroom on property they already have.
Only govt can do that.
It'll be warmly welcomed by the crack and meth heads.

and that's the truth
plus we know somehow,they will go over budget on this simple project
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Postby southy » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:48 am

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-215498-1-.htm#215498

$675K?

Not sure what the problem is .. Have you ever had to pee in penticton? At least you have washrooms. Oh wait .. Penticton did build a washroom downtown, unfortunately it's closed for the season :cuss: and I had to pee so bad. My favorite pants ruined!
southy
Übergod

Liked in: 554 posts

Postby Bpeep » Jan 7th, 2018, 10:48 am

Anonymous123 wrote:It doesn't seem too high once you factor in the cost of demolishing the old washroom and restoring the land under it and the cost of infrastructure to relocate the new washroom to a central location.

Yes it does.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.

6 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9496 posts

Postby PocoGirl » Jan 7th, 2018, 11:13 am

1. That’s a ridiculous amount of money
2. No doubt it will be a dealer, junkie, etc hangout
3. The taxpayers who are funding it get the raw end of the deal because of point 1 & 2
4. Exterior showers & lockers, open year round... Sounds like a shelter without the beds or the rules...

If you build it, they will come...

5 people like this post.
PocoGirl

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 7th, 2018, 11:14 am

and they will
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Next

Return to Central Okanagan