Public bathrooms

rattleyou123

Re: Public bathrooms

Post by rattleyou123 »

Pretty amazing to spend that much on public restrooms when we can't even get our streets and sidewalks cleared!!!! Maybe the city should put another roundabout at that corner too!!! GO FIGURE KELOWNA!!
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

jasond_71 wrote:Seems very high. My 4000 sq ft house was only $500,000 to build including a lot of extra excavation for sewer driveway etc.
Do contractors tend to gouge cities more than general population?

Your house is built with match sticks and cardboard. How much would it cost to build a vandal proof concrete block home?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

I am all for a new modern toilet/change area. I also wish there was a consistent snack-bar, unlike the apple which is almost always closed! And to all the people who think 675K is too much, try and build one after removal of the old one for less. Not easy.
Costs have gone up... A LOT
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Rider59 wrote:
jasond_71 wrote:Seems very high. My 4000 sq ft house was only $500,000 to build including a lot of extra excavation for sewer driveway etc.
Do contractors tend to gouge cities more than general population?

Your house is built with match sticks and cardboard. How much would it cost to build a vandal proof concrete block home?

I'd consider it far more valid of a point, were it not for all the commercial buildings I keep seeing erected, made up of prefabricated concrete sections that are bolted together onsite in fairly short order.

I'd view those as vandal proof, and well worth considering for public use, especially when factoring in the many public parks in Kelowna that could use such a structure, and cost of which should come down, one would think, if they are mass produced.

They'd also be even stronger than concrete block, which is hollow and not that hard to smash with a hammer.

If they felt the look to be too bland it would be simple enough to address by planting something around it, or painting a mural onto it.

Such logic we'll likely never see CoK embrace as they prefer champagne taste.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Old Techie wrote:
I'd consider it far more valid of a point, were it not for all the commercial buildings I keep seeing erected, made up of prefabricated concrete sections that are bolted together onsite in fairly short order.

I'd view those as vandal proof, and well worth considering for public use, especially when factoring in the many public parks in Kelowna that could use such a structure, and cost of which should come down, one would think, if they are mass produced.

They'd also be even stronger than concrete block, which is hollow and not that hard to smash with a hammer.

If they felt the look to be too bland it would be simple enough to address by planting something around it, or painting a mural onto it.

Such logic we'll likely never see CoK embrace as they prefer champagne taste.

Good God OT, are you in some way acknowledging that I'm right? We're in agreement? :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote: acknowledging that I'm right? :200:

Now that is just crazy talk !.. [icon_lol2.gif]

Pre-fab tilt-up concrete bunkers ..Yes.

I'd surmise that more than a couple could be put together and outfitted for that price so that more
than just one beach/park saw benefits.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Relative to 1969 when the washrooms cost $350,000, perhaps $675,000 is a deal with the rise in costs over the last 49 years. Still feels high to me though. $350,000 in 1969 is like 50 jigabux today.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Jlabute wrote:Relative to 1969 when the washrooms cost $350,000, perhaps $675,000 is a deal with the rise in costs over the last 49 years. Still feels high to me though. $350,000 in 1969 is like 50 jigabux today.

the y never spent 350k in 1969. read it again
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

I wish people would limit their comments to subjects they know something about.

Old Techie wrote: I'd consider it far more valid of a point, were it not for all the commercial buildings I keep seeing erected, made up of prefabricated concrete sections that are bolted together onsite in fairly short order. You do realize that there is engineering and labour off site to have these panels built and shipping right?

I'd view those as vandal proof, and well worth considering for public use, especially when factoring in the many public parks in Kelowna that could use such a structure, and cost of which should come down, one would think, if they are mass produced. LOL. The vandal proofing is generally not the building shell. It's the fixtures, lighting, doors/locks, windows, etc. The amount that CoK would require is not massed produced. LOL

They'd also be even stronger than concrete block, which is hollow and not that hard to smash with a hammer. Uhmmm, they fill those blocks with concrete and rebar after the electrical conduits are installed.

Such logic we'll likely never see CoK embrace as they prefer champagne taste. Ya, lets just pay to replace it in 25 years instead of 50 to 75 years
Last edited by Rider59 on Jan 7th, 2018, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Queen K wrote:Good God OT, are you in some way acknowledging that I'm right? We're in agreement? :200:

You may be in agreement but you're far from right, just because you usually think you are. [icon_lol2.gif]
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Very nice. I am glad the CoK is investing to make our city more beautiful. If you are less progressive, but still love the Okanagan, there is always Vernon or Lavington. It feels like walking into the 70s.

Although I do find this an interesting coincidence with the developments going on nearby... Hmmm... :135:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Has anyone addressed the "OPEN" hours and/or the months that these facilities will be made available?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Rider59 wrote:I wish people would limit their comments to subjects they know something about.

Old Techie wrote: I'd consider it far more valid of a point, were it not for all the commercial buildings I keep seeing erected, made up of prefabricated concrete sections that are bolted together onsite in fairly short order. You do realize that there is engineering and labour off site to have these panels built and shipping right?
Yes I do. Do you realize there's a company locally equipped to do such stuff?
I'm pretty sure if a suitable structure was designed they could make appropriate moulds. The thing about a mould is that it costs a lot to make it, so the first washroom would naturally be higher priced, but from then on those moulds just get used again without any additional setup costs. There most certainly are advantages to using a standard design repeatedly, as opposed to a one of design.

I'd view those as vandal proof, and well worth considering for public use, especially when factoring in the many public parks in Kelowna that could use such a structure, and cost of which should come down, one would think, if they are mass produced. LOL. The vandal proofing is generally not the building shell. It's the fixtures, lighting, doors/locks, windows, etc. The amount that CoK would require is not massed produced. LOL
You seem to be grasping now, because in the big picture if they installed say twenty or so in the various parks that require it, the cost should still be less than just one fancy outhouse in the Mission. As far as the fixtures goes it would be the same situation regardless of what the building envelope is. I hope you aren't suggesting the fixtures and doors cost around half a million.

They'd also be even stronger than concrete block, which is hollow and not that hard to smash with a hammer. Uhmmm, they fill those blocks with concrete and rebar after the electrical conduits are installed.
Maybe they do now, but I've seen some with holes in the blocks so must not have always been the case.

Such logic we'll likely never see CoK embrace as they prefer champagne taste. Ya, lets just pay to replace it in 25 years instead of 50 to 75 years
Not sure what exactly you mean by that remark, given that the lifespan of solid concrete wall structures, would easily match or surpass that of concrete blocks, and sure as heck save a lot of the labor cost involved in laying blocks.

I wish some people would refrain from being unduly condescending, so I guess we all have a wish list. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

alanjh595 wrote:Has anyone addressed the "OPEN" hours and/or the months that these facilities will be made available?

It says in the link by the original poster, that it’s anticipated to be open year round. No clue about the hours.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215498
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Old Techie wrote: Bla bla bla

I wish some people would refrain from being unduly condescending, so I guess we all have a wish list. :biggrin:

Well it's pretty obvious who has and who has not spent any time in the construction industry. BTW, I have 25 yrs in the building trades and 20 yrs in civil engineering so I don't think it's me.

Bye

Return to “Central Okanagan”