Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:That may be but how many of those airports are situated in a valley bottom between two mountains?

Just based on things I've read over the years, I've been under the impression that flying in and out of Kelowna can be a bit of a challenge depending on the plane.

I'm no pilot though so have no clue as whether that's the case or not.

YLW is not much of a challenge to fly in of - for VFR approaches, its straight forward as can be. IFR approaches have pretty much a standard approach with no special procedures in the approach itself (headings, descent rate) or missed approach - based on my limited experiences with IFR approaches.

Good to know thanks.

I think I got that impression from reading a report done after a crash a few years back. It said the pilot wasn't at the right altitude, and mentioned something about that being an issue and tricky. This was a private plane that had four people on it I believe.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Also to note - the Timmie’s at YLW post security is now also open - so along with Subway and White Spot, one has more options. The SkyWay Cafe is now gone (replaced by Timmie’s) - shame, I’ll miss my pre flight double espresso.

I snapped at few shots on my way through this morning - I’ll post them when I get to my hotel later tonight.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:The Dash 8 Q400 is a Dash 8. There is also a Dash 8 Q300 available.

Saying that the Q400 is not a Dash 8 is like saying that your Mustang is not a Ford.

Ok....lets agree....a Q-400 is also a Dash 8, but comparing the Q series (quiet and MUCH faster) to the older 100, 200 and 300 series is like comparing a VW beetle to an Audi. Took a flight on the Q400 recently to Seattle from YLW; took 55 mins; doubt you could beat that in a 737, considering all the wider turns, loading times, etc etc that it would have to do. I was amazed at how Quiet the 400 was, as well, compared to the older Dash 8's. Westjet has about 43 of the Q400's, I believe. Huge savings on fuel, as well, compared to a 737. Likely one of the reasons for buying more Q-400's.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:
Ok....lets agree....a Q-400 is also a Dash 8, but comparing the Q series (quiet and MUCH faster) to the older 100, 200 and 300 series is like comparing a VW beetle to an Audi. Took a flight on the Q400 recently to Seattle from YLW; took 55 mins; doubt you could beat that in a 737, considering all the wider turns, loading times, etc etc that it would have to do. I was amazed at how Quiet the 400 was, as well, compared to the older Dash 8's. Westjet has about 43 of the Q400's, I believe. Huge savings on fuel, as well, compared to a 737. Likely one of the reasons for buying more Q-400's.

Oh there’s no questions about the performance and advantage (landing gear issues aside) of the Q400. It’s a good plane, it performs very well. I’m on the Q400 several times a month (just got off one a couple of hours ago) - but, I know I’m going to be alone in this group, but I prefer the noise and vibration of the old 100/200/300s - but that’s just me - I’m weird that way :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wonder if having a closer to capacity aircraft has anything to do with this.
Q400 seats 78
737 depending which one seats 113 to 168
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:Wonder if having a closer to capacity aircraft has anything to do with this.
Q400 seats 78

I'm guessing fuel efficiency of the aircraft has the most to do with it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote: I know I’m going to be alone in this group, but I prefer the noise and vibration of the old 100/200/300s - but that’s just me - I’m weird that way :biggrin:

Not this boy. :200:

It's hard enough to get me into a plane, and once I am in one, hearing weird noises does not instill me with confidence.

Having the pilots behind closed doors doesn't either mind you, because how do I know if they haven't dozed off at the controls? :200:
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

GordonH wrote:Wonder if having a closer to capacity aircraft has anything to do with this.
Q400 seats 78

Last time that I was on a WJ 737 to YVR, it was about 1/3 full. Hard to make a profit like that. Fill the 78 seats of the Q-400 and use far less fuel for same route in almost the same time frame, its a no brainer.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Small planes are terrifying. Landing in fog. Cant see anything. landing anyways. Yikes. Hopefully never again.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jflem1983 wrote:Small planes are terrifying. Landing in fog. Cant see anything. landing anyways. Yikes. Hopefully never again.

Planes that go up, come down one way or another.... that includes big or little ones.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Small planes are terrifying. Landing in fog. Cant see anything. landing anyways. Yikes. Hopefully never again.

Planes that go up, come down one way or another.... that includes big or little ones.

Them lil 4 and 8 seaters. Got no fancy guidance systems. If u r in a front seat u can see same as pilot. It gets pretty nasty up in the trees and hills.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ sh :cuss: happens Jflem1983 in any size aircraft
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Love flying - even after a couple of scares.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:^^^ sh :cuss: happens Jflem1983 in any size aircraft

Which is why they should provide diapers rather than barf bags. :biggrin:

If we were meant to fly we'd all have been born with feathers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The shots I mentioned earlier at YLW post security ...

And empty White Spot ...

The new Timmie's and Subway (Timmie's is where SkyWay used to be for the last year ...

And since the subject of parallel runways was brought up - YYC ...

Return to “Central Okanagan”