Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 6th, 2018, 12:52 pm

7600736 wrote:
That PWA 737 that went off the end of 34 in summer 1986 was due to the crew neglecting to set the autobrakes, I believe. The runway was very wet and quite short at the time (5300 feet). When the captain realized the error he stood on the foot brakes and they aquaplaned right off the end. I remember the spoilers and reversers would pop immediately upon touch down on 737's back in those days.

Most planes still use auto spoilers and thrust reversers upon landing in most situations.

Yup, back then the runway was just over 5300 feet, which ended at where taxiway C is right now (right abeam from the terminal), back then it was taxiway A and C was at the north end at the threshold of runway 15 (now 16). The first runway extension was done in 1990/91, extending the south end of the runway and then the north end extension was done some years later. The runways were also recalibrated about 10 years ago or so, so today its runway 16/34 - back then it would have been 15/33.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Glacier wrote:A friend of mine has been in the Yukon for almost 10 years, and he says that there's so much federal government money thrown around up there it's unbelievable (it's a territory, so they get a lot more money than a province does). Everyone works for the government looking for another make-work project to justify their job. They have more money than they know what to do with, so they can afford to build a second parallel almost 10,000 foot long runway just for the hell of it. We have to be a lot more cautious with our money down south.

Don't forget, YXY also has seasonal service to Germany with Condor's service to FRA.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Glacier » Feb 6th, 2018, 3:19 pm

How come Kelowna can't get direct service to Germany? There are only 35,000 people in the entire Yukon.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26927
Likes: 2896 posts
Liked in: 9087 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Glacier wrote:How come Kelowna can't get direct service to Germany? There are only 35,000 people in the entire Yukon.

The Yukon is more known abroad then the Okanagan is, in fact many foreign tourists have never heard of the Okanagan so there is no tourist appeal. Whitehorse a gateway to the wilderness and an arctic adventure for many which is a talked about tourist adventure. YLW has very little tourist appeal when you have YVR and YYC so close who offer easier access to Banff, Whistler and the Rockies in general.

YXY used to be a tag on with the Anchorage and Fairbanks flights to Frankfurt - not sure if they have service on their own now or not.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby cv23 » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:The Yukon is more known abroad then the Okanagan is, in fact many foreign tourists have never heard of the Okanagan so there is no tourist appeal.


Maybe that would change if organizations like Tourism Kelowna spent their money in a pro-active way like a good website and enticing advertising to encourage more tourists to come to Kelowna rather than wasting millions on a waterfront office for those few who are already here.
User avatar
cv23
Guru
 
Posts: 7012
Likes: 2966 posts
Liked in: 1496 posts
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby christopher » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:42 pm

What kills me is that every airport in Canada thinks they are INTERNATIONAL yet when I go to the states they only have a few many cities much larger than Kelowna do not have a International airport.
christopher
Fledgling
 
Posts: 288
Likes: 555 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:44 pm

christopher wrote:What kills me is that every airport in Canada thinks they are INTERNATIONAL yet when I go to the states they only have a few many cities much larger than Kelowna do not have a International airport.

Technically speaking, any airport that offers customs services is considered “international” - but from a marketing point of view - I get your point
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:49 pm

cv23 wrote:
Maybe that would change if organizations like Tourism Kelowna spent their money in a pro-active way like a good website and enticing advertising to encourage more tourists to come to Kelowna rather than wasting millions on a waterfront office for those few who are already here.

Big White, Silver Star and Revelstoke have done lots of marketing in Australia and its worked for those who like to ski, but not nearly enough to justify a flight to YLW, let alone the weight restrictions they’d need to make it non stop.

Honestly, depending on bilateral rights - I could see and airline such as Norwegian or WOW making a go of it with connections in Iceland on a new A321LR or B737 Max. If it would be successful, that’s hard to say but if someone were to attempt it, again, depending on bilateral rights - it would be them.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby AirHoss » Feb 9th, 2018, 10:20 am

*there is no room for a parallel runway.

*there is no need nor is there any room for a crossing runway.

*we are well within capacity for the runway we have.

The end.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
AirHoss
Fledgling
 
Posts: 307
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 161 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Glacier » Feb 9th, 2018, 11:39 am

AirHoss wrote:*there is no room for a parallel runway.

*there is no need nor is there any room for a crossing runway.

*we are well within capacity for the runway we have.

The end.

Why does Whitehorse have 3 runways, Toronto has 5, Calgary has 4 including two over 12,000 ft, Portage la Prairie has 4, Tofino has 3 concrete runways, CFB Comox has 2, Abbotsford has 3, Yellowknife has 2, Moncton has 2 including one over 10,000 ft, Halifax has 2 including one over 10,000 ft, CFB Coldlake has 3 including one over 12,000 ft, Charlottetown has 2, CFB Moose Jaw has 3, CFB Goose Bay has 3 including one over 11,000 ft, Hay River has 2, Saskatoon has 2, Regina has 2, Prince George has 3, Victoria has 3, Kamloops has 2, Terrace has 2, Fort St. John has 2, Fort Nelson has 2, and the list goes on?
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26927
Likes: 2896 posts
Liked in: 9087 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby GordonH » Feb 9th, 2018, 11:52 am

AirHoss wrote:*there is no room for a parallel runway.

*there is no need nor is there any room for a crossing runway.

*we are well within capacity for the runway we have.

The end.

Glacier wrote:Why does Whitehorse have 3 runways, Toronto has 5, Calgary has 4 including two over 12,000 ft, Portage la Prairie has 4, Tofino has 3 concrete runways, CFB Comox has 2, Abbotsford has 3, Yellowknife has 2, Moncton has 2 including one over 10,000 ft, Halifax has 2 including one over 10,000 ft, CFB Coldlake has 3 including one over 12,000 ft, Charlottetown has 2, CFB Moose Jaw has 3, CFB Goose Bay has 3 including one over 11,000 ft, Hay River has 2, Saskatoon has 2, Regina has 2, Prince George has 3, Victoria has 3, Kamloops has 2, Terrace has 2, Fort St. John has 2, Fort Nelson has 2, and the list goes on?


Well Glacier was any of those you just listed in an area with limited space. Wondering if & when they decided to build an airport in the area (Kelowna) was there possibly a better location. Answer: most likely not, unless they levelled off a hilltop, that would have been very $$$$.
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Acadie-Bathurst Titan, OHL Hamilton Bulldogs, WHL Swift Current Broncos & Host Team/Regina Pats
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19922
Likes: 2181 posts
Liked in: 6868 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Glacier » Feb 9th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Most airports were built in the 1920s and 1930s including the ones up north. Kelowna didn't get an airport until the mid to late 1940s, and by then the land had been developed quite a bit.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26927
Likes: 2896 posts
Liked in: 9087 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Glacier » Feb 9th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Another reason kelowna has the worst airport in Canada is that when you circle around, you have to stop at a stop sign every time. In Seattle, for example, you don't kill the earth with unneeded emissions by stopping. You just drive around a couple of times until the person you're waiting for walks out.

Also, if land is truly limited for the airport, why is there no parkade? Maybe there are plan in the future for that, but it sure seems like one big massive scar on the landscape as it currently sits.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26927
Likes: 2896 posts
Liked in: 9087 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 9th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Glacier wrote:Another reason kelowna has the worst airport in Canada is that when you circle around, you have to stop at a stop sign every time. In Seattle, for example, you don't kill the earth with unneeded emissions by stopping. You just drive around a couple of times until the person you're waiting for walks out.


OMG? Seriously? There is one singular stop sign that you'll wait for about 5-10 seconds to go through. Hardly climate changing.

Glacier wrote:Also, if land is truly limited for the airport, why is there no parkade? Maybe there are plan in the future for that, but it sure seems like one big massive scar on the landscape as it currently sits.

Because at this point in time, there is no need for a parkade. The terminal will be expanded into where the long term lot is now and then a new long term lot and parkade will be built - when YLW reaches the point where the capacity warrants it. IIRC, YLW already bought up some land to the south of the current long term lot, where the golf course is now and will be using it when the time comes.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Why the Kelowna Airport Only Needs a Single Runway

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 9th, 2018, 9:05 pm

AirHoss wrote:*there is no room for a parallel runway.

*there is no need nor is there any room for a crossing runway.

*we are well within capacity for the runway we have.

The end.

Hallelujah! :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], kldt, lesliepaul and 9 guests