Post by Queen K »

TylerM4 wrote:APARTMENT TYPE MONTHLY RENT SQUARE FEET
1 Bedroom
1 Bath $1249-1309 593

2 Bedroom
1 Bath $1419-1489 845 - 851

2 Bedroom
2 Bath $1499-1569 894 - 913

Looks like it'll help a little. Almost impossible to find a nice 2 bed suite for $1500 these days. They look fairly small tho.

This is what I mean by the so called "affordable housing" components in Central Green and that other building, what's it called, the one going up as a rental near the RCMP station we all just talked about. It's supposed to be 10% below regular market rental rates, right? But what are those "low rents" when rabbit hutches such as below 600 sq ft are renting at the ridiculous rates listed here?

$1,249 - $1,309 less 10% is supposedly going to be affordable??? What a joke, what a freaking joke!!!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mission Flats too expensive?

Post by Farmmaa »

Queen K wrote:
This is what I mean by the so called "affordable housing" components in Central Green and that other building, what's it called, the one going up as a rental near the RCMP station we all just talked about. It's supposed to be 10% below regular market rental rates, right? But what are those "low rents" when rabbit hutches such as below 600 sq ft are renting at the ridiculous rates listed here?

$1,249 - $1,309 less 10% is supposedly going to be affordable??? What a joke, what a freaking joke!!!

That's what ticks me off about this whole affordable housing crap.
Offer people rent that is 10% lower than 'market value'.
BUT - don't bother to consider the fact that anyone needing affordable housing is still screwed because the rentals here have increased by at least 15% just in the past year ( although it would appear that 15% is a lowball estimate, and they just keep going up every month )

So even if you use their 15%, that means that these 'affordable' units are still at least 5% over the average rental price.

Welcome to Kelowna.
I loved it here until a year ago.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Cheaper than Van or Toronto. a problem will be people can't afford the rent so they get roomies, then there are 3 people in a one bedroom suite. Factor the wear and tear and pretty soon landlord jacks up the rent to pay to replace hallway carpets, etc.

And yes the 1 bedroom is small, but I grew up in a house that was tiny.. many ppl raised a pretty big fam in a small house. Now we want the walk in closet to be 500 sq ft.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

1 Bedroom
1 Bath $1249-1309 593

2 Bedroom

2 Bedroom

Okay... it is early and I am tired, but what the absolute hell? I knew there was another shoe to drop with those shoeboxes... Where are those 3 bedroom Townhouses they "built" for families on the property?

I have to say while I am usually looking fairly balanced at topics, in this case I am becoming increasingly more frustrated considering the whole Central Green Mess on top of all of this.

I remember the "Oh we are building 1000 affordable rental units in 2017" and how proud the city was of this. Now I am wondering if the developers are either just pulling the wool over the cities eyes or simply don't give a *******.

Those prices, for the size of apartments are absolutely too high. Even Stober in the Flats (by Burtch and Kirschner) was cheaper last year and gave you more in space and amenities.

I am seriously tired to see people working themselves to the bone in this town just to survive by paying rent nevermind other costs. We have a national housing crisis, but apparently this matters very little when it comes to the bottom line...

*bleep* me 1249 to 1300 for a 1 bedroom... Worse yet we know its going to rent even though people can't afford it... Welcome to Kelowna, and the Okanagan where we imagine that we are such a big deal in the movie industry (fail), technology sector (fail) and cultural & tourism sectors (fail)... urban sprawl without any controls, high unemployment and highest opiate death rate in all of canada (win, win, win)....

Jeez we need to stop living in this high society dreamworld and accept that we are a city with serious issues which need to be addressed before the dreams...
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Ah.. so just checked their site...

Townhome Type Monthly Rent Square Feet Availability
1 Bedroom
1 Bath $1269 673 May 2018
3 Bedroom
2.5 Bath $1899 1452 May 2018

Fun fact underground parking seems to be an additional 125... a month...

Incentives
$50 Parking Credit
TELUS Optik TV & Internet

Parking
Surface Stall $50
Underground $125

Pet Friendly
Cats & Dogs
Under 35lbs

Now it seems they include TV so there are some "savings" if you consider that this maybe another 100 bucks in addition to your rent.... then again they charge nearly 300 over the CMHC recommendations for rent... and then add another 50 to 125 for parking (it could be they include a stall with each unit but then they don't mention that... so I could be wrong here).

So a 1 Bedroom could be 1299 to 1349... plus utilities... if you have the need for a stall... outside... inside... then we are in the 1400 neighborhood... Holy *bleep*!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dominik wrote:Ah.. so just checked their site...

Townhome Type Monthly Rent Square Feet Availability
1 Bedroom
1 Bath $1269 673 May 2018
3 Bedroom
2.5 Bath $1899 1452 May 2018

Fun fact underground parking seems to be an additional 125... a month...

Incentives
$50 Parking Credit
TELUS Optik TV & Internet

Parking
Surface Stall $50
Underground $125

Pet Friendly
Cats & Dogs
Under 35lbs

Now it seems they include TV so there are some "savings" if you consider that this maybe another 100 bucks in addition to your rent.... then again they charge nearly 300 over the CMHC recommendations for rent... and then add another 50 to 125 for parking (it could be they include a stall with each unit but then they don't mention that... so I could be wrong here).

So a 1 Bedroom could be 1299 to 1349... plus utilities... if you have the need for a stall... outside... inside... then we are in the 1400 neighborhood... Holy *bleep*!

3 bedroom sounds like a deal at those rates.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Yup but I do think there are very few of those... So... oh and don't forget to add on a parking stall or two :P
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Where are the Mission Flats?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TMBOkanagan wrote:Where are the Mission Flats?

Next to Immaculata High School on K.L.O
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

dominik wrote:
1 Bedroom
1 Bath $1249-1309 593

2 Bedroom

2 Bedroom

Okay... it is early and I am tired, but what the absolute hell? I knew there was another shoe to drop with those shoeboxes... Where are those 3 bedroom Townhouses they "built" for families on the property?

I have to say while I am usually looking fairly balanced at topics, in this case I am becoming increasingly more frustrated considering the whole Central Green Mess on top of all of this.

I remember the "Oh we are building 1000 affordable rental units in 2017" and how proud the city was of this. Now I am wondering if the developers are either just pulling the wool over the cities eyes or simply don't give a *******.

Those prices, for the size of apartments are absolutely too high. Even Stober in the Flats (by Burtch and Kirschner) was cheaper last year and gave you more in space and amenities.

I am seriously tired to see people working themselves to the bone in this town just to survive by paying rent nevermind other costs. We have a national housing crisis, but apparently this matters very little when it comes to the bottom line...

*bleep* me 1249 to 1300 for a 1 bedroom... Worse yet we know its going to rent even though people can't afford it... Welcome to Kelowna, and the Okanagan where we imagine that we are such a big deal in the movie industry (fail), technology sector (fail) and cultural & tourism sectors (fail)... urban sprawl without any controls, high unemployment and highest opiate death rate in all of canada (win, win, win)....

Jeez we need to stop living in this high society dreamworld and accept that we are a city with serious issues which need to be addressed before the dreams...

Unless people vote with their feet and move, nothing will change.

There are these alleged alternative realities where wages are higher and living costs are cheaper.

Go. Move. Be happy. Live long and prosper in these various paradises.

Nobody is keeping anyone here.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

TMBOkanagan wrote:Where are the Mission Flats?

GordonH wrote:Next to Immaculata High School on K.L.O

You can't miss it.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It's not that bad. For brand new places especially.

Tv and internet included.

I remember paying $1,000 for an old 2 br condo. Nine years ago.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Even Steven wrote:It's not that bad. For brand new places especially.

Yep i paid 600 plus bills for a room in rutland with no heat about 8 years back. People are confused. They think expensive rent is new. Yes its gone up fast. Not as fast as gas though
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Even Steven wrote:It's not that bad. For brand new places especially.

Yep i paid 600 plus bills for a room in rutland with no heat about 8 years back. People are confused. They think expensive rent is new. Yes its gone up fast. Not as fast as gas though

That isn't an entirely good comparison. 8 years ago a 2 Bedroom unit was roughly between 1000-1200 including parking stall, the same unit rents now for 1700, making it an over 40% increase in rent. Gas in the same time frame went from about 80 cents to 1.20 which is yes a 50% increase but as a comparison it is flawed as gas "could be saved" while housing is essentially a necessity.

In addition 8 years ago a 1 Bedroom unit was around 640 dollars (if you rented then and weren't grandfathered into a lower rate). At this point you are hard pressed to get a single bedroom shared with other roommates for under 700.

Seeing the new "affordable" rental costs would actually increase these numbers and while Mission Flats is better than others its unit sizes are MUCH smaller for higher cost. And don't forget the parking stall costs.

The overall picture isn't pretty, and while rental and gas costs increased at a record pace, wages most certainly have not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”