Ella set to rise.....

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby dominik » Jan 13th, 2018, 2:54 am

cv23 wrote:
I guess that's why all the towers right on the lake have underground parking


The only tower currently which has actual underground parking is the Skye Tower and I "think" the 1815 is having a partial underground parkade. None of the Sunset Drive, Centuria, Executive House, Delta, and Discovery Bay units have underground parking. They lifted the development mostly and built it so that the parking structure is at or above ground level. (This was a major issue for Centuria from what I remember).

Jflem1983 likes this post.
dominik
Fledgling
 
Posts: 136
Likes: 181 posts
Liked in: 123 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:46 am
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby Jflem1983 » Jan 13th, 2018, 3:02 am

dominik wrote:
cv23 wrote:
I guess that's why all the towers right on the lake have underground parking


The only tower currently which has actual underground parking is the Skye Tower and I "think" the 1815 is having a partial underground parkade. None of the Sunset Drive, Centuria, Executive House, Delta, and Discovery Bay units have underground parking. They lifted the development mostly and built it so that the parking structure is at or above ground level. (This was a major issue for Centuria from what I remember).


Centuria has a creek running under it. I worked on the foundation there
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4727
Likes: 10504 posts
Liked in: 2671 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby JLives » Jan 13th, 2018, 7:24 am

dominik wrote:
The only tower currently which has actual underground parking is the Skye Tower and I "think" the 1815 is having a partial underground parkade. None of the Sunset Drive, Centuria, Executive House, Delta, and Discovery Bay units have underground parking. They lifted the development mostly and built it so that the parking structure is at or above ground level. (This was a major issue for Centuria from what I remember).

Discovery Bay has underground parking. So does Waterscapes.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

TMBOkanagan likes this post.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15736
Likes: 3135 posts
Liked in: 5657 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby dle » Jan 13th, 2018, 7:38 am

I imagine it would require some serious planning to build anything in Kelowna just about anywhere because there are underground creeks apparently running willy-nilly all over the place underneath Kelowna. Even up in Glenmore a lot of the homes have to have sumps and there are little creeks and much bigger creeks all over underneath the Capri area and other areas downtown. Kind of like the tunnels from prohibition days when ol' Mr. Capone & Associates were running rum underground in Saskatchewan lol (yep, Moose Jaw to be exact) but not as much of a fun story! If you ever find yourself in Moose Jaw take the tunnel tour - very cool and fun history lesson!

3 people like this post.
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1175
Likes: 698 posts
Liked in: 1280 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 13th, 2018, 9:35 am

Discovery Bay had issues with parking underground, and for a few years, it was off limits while they fixed it. It has been fixed for a while. The Skye building in Waterscapes I don't know about, but I do know with the Osprey buildings there have issues with water in the underground parking. For months last year they had 3 firehoses draining water into the street, and then they moved the hoses to drain into the creek. That was a flood year though - on a normal year it's only one fire hose into the street. Not sure about the Herons, though. Ella will be further from the lake, and I think their parking levels will be above ground.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17241
Likes: 15425 posts
Liked in: 3840 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby Fancy » Jan 13th, 2018, 11:04 am

A 20-storey tower with 116 condo units, first floor 5,900ft2 retail space, five level above grade parkade and a green roof on level six. Designed with hybrid heat pumps for suite heating and cooling contained with individual ERV’s for ventilation and is LEED© Certified. Along with a condensing boiler for heating and domestic hot water with a close circuit evaporative cooler for loop cooling. Designed with highly efficient condensing domestic water heaters and a vertical stacking hybrid heat pump system with an integrated HRV, condensing boilers and high efficient cooling tower. This will significantly increase the efficiency of the heating and cooling of the building, will leave a smaller carbon footprint and allows for easier access for future maintenance

http://reinboldengineering.com/news.html
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45512
Likes: 1129 posts
Liked in: 5969 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby Mytown » Jan 14th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Sopa is on target for April completion! I see exterior railing going up this weekend and appliances have been rolling in. Based on resale prices in the building I wish I had bought a couple! I think the project going in next to the El will be another winner.

TMBOkanagan likes this post.
User avatar
Mytown
Fledgling
 
Posts: 106
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Jul 21st, 2012, 1:46 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 14th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Easier to get rid of the water when you are beside the lake.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3806
Likes: 445 posts
Liked in: 1980 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:A few of those towers have serious issues.


Knowing large part of the north end of Kelowna was a swamp at one time, it's no surprise.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20575
Likes: 2288 posts
Liked in: 7231 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby Jflem1983 » Jan 14th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Mytown wrote:Sopa is on target for April completion! I see exterior railing going up this weekend and appliances have been rolling in. Based on resale prices in the building I wish I had bought a couple! I think the project going in next to the El will be another winner.



Was told june by some workers. Either way it is getting close
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4727
Likes: 10504 posts
Liked in: 2671 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby dle » Jan 15th, 2018, 8:03 am

GordonH wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:A few of those towers have serious issues.


Knowing large part of the north end of Kelowna was a swamp at one time, it's no surprise.


It's a bit of a puzzler why, with that being the case, that highrises are allowed to be built on those grounds. They must do geological and water studies etc before anything is allowed to be built right? To make sure the ground is able to hold the proposed building? So everything is perfectly safe right? Except maybe not so much.

Ella is set farther back from the lake but there are still the creeks underground. It's not far from Mill Creek. How do we know they DID the geological survey first? There have been several issues with different projects so it stands to reason we might wonder.

If it is always thoroughly studied first, why is it then that Central Green is not able to have it's towers as submitted to City Council. The thing is 3/4 built and NOW they say a geological study says the site can't support the towers?

To my mind, all of that type of study should happen, and results in hand, to be submitted with the propoosal to the City SO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO GET, and certainly BEFORE breaking ground on the project, to MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE.

Sounds to me like the process is quite hit and miss. Not that we get earthquakes here often for sure, just a tremor or so every now and then, BUT.....
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1175
Likes: 698 posts
Liked in: 1280 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby LANDM » Jan 15th, 2018, 8:50 am

dle wrote:
It's a bit of a puzzler why, with that being the case, that highrises are allowed to be built on those grounds. They must do geological and water studies etc before anything is allowed to be built right? To make sure the ground is able to hold the proposed building? So everything is perfectly safe right? Except maybe not so much.

Ella is set farther back from the lake but there are still the creeks underground. It's not far from Mill Creek. How do we know they DID the geological survey first? There have been several issues with different projects so it stands to reason we might wonder.

If it is always thoroughly studied first, why is it then that Central Green is not able to have it's towers as submitted to City Council. The thing is 3/4 built and NOW they say a geological study says the site can't support the towers?

To my mind, all of that type of study should happen, and results in hand, to be submitted with the propoosal to the City SO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO GET, and certainly BEFORE breaking ground on the project, to MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE.

Sounds to me like the process is quite hit and miss. Not that we get earthquakes here often for sure, just a tremor or so every now and then, BUT.....


It’s called "engineering". Professionals are able to, firstly, determine if the developer is able to build on a site and, secondly, assist in the design requirements so that the building is sound.

Neither new nor novel. Happens all the time all around the world. The best real estate is always by water and these issues are commonplace.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 6082
Likes: 1594 posts
Liked in: 3111 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby dle » Jan 15th, 2018, 9:51 am

LANDM wrote:
dle wrote:
It's a bit of a puzzler why, with that being the case, that highrises are allowed to be built on those grounds. They must do geological and water studies etc before anything is allowed to be built right? To make sure the ground is able to hold the proposed building? So everything is perfectly safe right? Except maybe not so much.

Ella is set farther back from the lake but there are still the creeks underground. It's not far from Mill Creek. How do we know they DID the geological survey first? There have been several issues with different projects so it stands to reason we might wonder.

If it is always thoroughly studied first, why is it then that Central Green is not able to have it's towers as submitted to City Council. The thing is 3/4 built and NOW they say a geological study says the site can't support the towers?

To my mind, all of that type of study should happen, and results in hand, to be submitted with the propoosal to the City SO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO GET, and certainly BEFORE breaking ground on the project, to MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE.

Sounds to me like the process is quite hit and miss. Not that we get earthquakes here often for sure, just a tremor or so every now and then, BUT.....


It’s called "engineering". Professionals are able to, firstly, determine if the developer is able to build on a site and, secondly, assist in the design requirements so that the building is sound.

Neither new nor novel. Happens all the time all around the world. The best real estate is always by water and these issues are commonplace.


Sure understand that, but proximity to water set aside for now, how is it the engineers who were doing the determining at Central Green, for instance, didn't pick up that the site can't support the towers, until 3/4 of the way into the build?
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1175
Likes: 698 posts
Liked in: 1280 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 15th, 2018, 11:39 am

I think it depends on the type of build and the cost.
At central it would be cost prohibitive, for the return, or too high for budget.
But at the water they are even higher and pricing is much different.
Keep all the bowling pins together and if they fall they don't take other things down, just bowling pins... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

TMBOkanagan likes this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3806
Likes: 445 posts
Liked in: 1980 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Ella set to rise.....

Postby dle » Jan 15th, 2018, 1:03 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think it depends on the type of build and the cost.
At central it would be cost prohibitive, for the return, or too high for budget.
But at the water they are even higher and pricing is much different.
Keep all the bowling pins together and if they fall they don't take other things down, just bowling pins... :smt045


Excerpt from Castanet article Jan 9:

"I think the challenge I'm facing is every step along the way on this site, there has been the notion that, it's coming, it's coming. Just do this now, and you'll get it somewhere else. And, what we've discovered, that isn't likely to be the case," said Coun. Brad Sieben.

A representative for the developer confirmed to council adding height to the final parcel fronting Harvey Avenue would be difficult due to geo-technical challenges on the site.

He said they are limited in height from a cost perspective.


So from this article it sounds like the developer kept saying towers are coming, they never mentioned geo-technical issues or cost problems, until the City asked where's our towers that you keep saying are coming? Now, the developer is saying they are limited from a "cost perspective" - how did they not know there were geo-technical issues that were going to put the cost into a no-go zone from the git-go if the engineer-types had done their due diligence?
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1175
Likes: 698 posts
Liked in: 1280 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests