$100M town centre plan

cv23
Guru

Re: $100M town centre plan

Post by cv23 »

cruzwear wrote:Looking at another avenue for traffic to run parallel to the highway is good.. .

But the lower section of Sutherland is scheduled to become much like Abbott and Ethel are with traffic calming through reduced vehicle traffic and increased foot/cycle traffic just like the top of Sutherland presently is.
$100mil seems just a bit pricey to create what essentially will be a bike path.
Bobbypman

Post by Bobbypman »

The city will make it a bigger clusterfudge than it already is , I sat thru 3 light changes at Sutherland and Burtch last week before giving up and turning left, thanks to the kind guy who let me do so. Where the huck is the clement ave extension or did they give up on that? When that dump road to the college opens theres going to be 7000 more cars per day on Spall apparently making this area even worse.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Love the plan and design. hate the price tag. Ross Soward gave a shotty explanation of where the funds will come from, simply stating unmet portions will be met from government grants and Local Area residents. Outrageous. Good on Luke Stack for having the courage to question this spending. It would have been a lot easier to say yes to it like the rest of council considering at this level of spending it's certainly not coming from his generation's pocketbook.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

dirtybiker wrote:
lightspeed wrote:
If they did I'm not sure what they spent it on. Looks just as ratbagged as ever.

I diagree. it does look better, Just nowhere to park a semi now so as to go
get the best darn bagel and cream cheese known.

Yes! I used to live in the area. Mount Royal Bagel factory was part of a daily ritual for me. Love the owner too.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

dirtybiker wrote:
Old Techie wrote: so why screw up another road?

It's hard to see the benefit of spending money moving roads around when the existing ones work just fine.

You kinda answered your own question.
Screwing with what works and putting things in place that likely won't,
seem to be the way it is done around here.

Maybe I'm just not a visionary, I just don't see a point in building a road to nowhere
when the ones that do (go somewhere) could use some attention.

How about an over-pass at Spall ?
Another at Airport Way ?

Get rid of that ridiculous light at University Way ?

But, I'm no visionary. Just a citizen that can see a City that is badly constipated.

There are densification projects coming out our ying-yang that speculators envision
being plumb full of warm bodies.
Yet no way for the Transportation Industry to efficiently get about town to move the goods and
services required of all the good people.
And the good people no way to efficiently move to aquire their goods.

A lot of these are in the OCP. There will be a proper exchange at the airport. A lot of these changes are also dependant on which highway upgrade proposal the city goes through with. Also many of these changes are still many years out.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

The light at Edwards Road is so long now, you can not go down the hwy and not hit it, or at least the traffic it created. It is actually faster to get off the hwy and use the side streets to avoid it
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

That light is going to be eliminated.

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads/si ... 7-rweb.pdf

See page 22, but I recommend looking through the entire thing. This is one of my favourite documents.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Friends of mine, who live in the Wilkinson St area, have told me that a "developer" from Dubai has been buying up all the available properties between Capri and Orchard Park.

It would be interesting to know who the local involvement is...

Return to “Central Okanagan”