Robert Stupka (GP)
18%

Total votes: 73

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Kelowna West by-election

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote:
Glacier wrote:The NDP is going to absolutely slaughter the Liberals in this by-election!

Those that voted stated otherwise and no surprise.

True. I was using irony because the result was a foregone conclusion.

One thing I do find interesting is that the NDP did a lot better on the Castanet poll than in the election. It's almost like the forums are more left-wing than the general population (or perhaps better put, the general population is more right-wing than the Castanet forums).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Verum wrote:
Old Techie wrote:^^ A degree in business and wanting the NDP in power simply does not make sense!
The only business they understand is monkey business, given their actions so far.

Here's the thing, to those who are so anti-NDP, there is no way to understand why anyone would support them. The same is true for those who are so anti-Liberal. If you can't see why someone of equal intelligence and ability to yourself would reasonably and with equal understanding to yourself, support the "other side", you either lack in both or are just rather partisan.

Ahhhh but there's a flaw in your statement.

You are assuming equal intelligence, when in fact some pass courses with "C" grades, while others do so with "A" grades, so just because both passed, hardly means that they are of equal intelligence.

I'd support the rhinoceros party, if they were competent, had a platform that makes sense, and demonstrated some decent ethical qualities.

I'm anti NDP not because they are NDP, but rather because they are inept, and have proven to be so time after time, plus they never own their mistakes, nor attempt to correct them, instead always opting to blame someone else for their misfortunes. I also have a huge concern, regarding the election of a party, that is primarily funded, by people feeding at the public trough. This alone just screams conflict of interest. Said concerns have been proven valid multiple times.

I tend to lean toward the Liberal party, not because I think they are great, but purely because I honestly believe they are the least terrible, of the three options currently available.

Last night I noted an excerpt, from an article where NDP supporters where spoken to at Riley's Pub. The main part that stood out was them saying "they were optimistic, because people could see what the NDP were doing", really? Does this sound like feedback from intelligent people, when the news is taken over by the wine boycott, by Alberta suspending negotiations to purchase hydro electric power, by the feds suddenly changing their mind on announcing child care funding, etc.
They have a leader who is doing everything possible to sabotage BC businesses, yet they feel people will vote NDP because they like what they are seeing? Sorry but this is not indicative of intelligence, but rather a strong example of the opposite.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The Kelowna West by-election was the yawner of the century. The winner was a solid foregone conclusion.

As mentioned previously, the Liberals could have run a houseplant in KW and won.. This was amply demonstrated in the 2013 by-election held there..... :smt045
Chill
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Cactusflower wrote:CBC has just reported that the Kelowna West by-election will be held on Valentines Day. Who will be our Valentine.........Ben Stewart (BCL), Shelley Cook(NDP), or Robert Stupka(GP) who was not even mentioned in the CBC article)?
http://www.bcgreens.ca/robert_stupka_bio

If the news story didn't mention all of the candidates that you could vote for then that just perfectly illustrates why the news outlets can not be trusted. Cherry picking their facts that they want to put out to people to sway them in one way or another. I would consider that unethical because they are supposed to be an unbiased reporting entity.. please people realize how the news are as bad or worse of manipulators as politicians.. do not just blindly trust everything you read to be accurate or non manipulative. they are constantly giving only certain facts or blowing out of proportion other facts. Think about things please.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:
Verum wrote:...
Here's the thing, to those who are so anti-NDP, there is no way to understand why anyone would support them. The same is true for those who are so anti-Liberal. If you can't see why someone of equal intelligence and ability to yourself would reasonably and with equal understanding to yourself, support the "other side", you either lack in both or are just rather partisan.

You are assuming equal intelligence, when in fact some pass courses with "C" grades, while others do so with "A" grades, so just because both passed, hardly means that they are of equal intelligence.

Yes, I am assuming equal intelligence. Nothing I have read here or elsewhere supports a significant gulf in such between supporters of the these parties and your post does nothing to change that view. The closest to evidence that I have seen is a correlation between educational attainment by area and how that area votes. Basically, the lower mainland and Vancouver Island are NDP/Green leaning and have generally higher levels of educational attainment than the rest of BC, which leans to the Liberals. It's very weak, so I wouldn't be so naive as to assume that the NDP/Green supporters are better educated and more intelligent than Liberal supporters.

Partisans like to think that their side is the side of intelligence, but that very thought is usually, when no significant external evidence is used to inform such an opinion, a sign of lack of intelligence.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

is anyone surprised that a town built around a non union sawmill would never vote NDP? we remember the 90s when the NDP crippled the economy and nobody was working in BC. we dont need to ever go thru that nonsense again.the sooner the NDP is gone the better
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^I doubt you remember accurately. Gormans paid good rates, were tied to the community and were never politically affiliated.
Chill
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

flamingfingers wrote:^I doubt you remember accurately. Gormans paid good rates, were tied to the community and were never politically affiliated.

i never said the didnt pay good rates.that is how you stay non union.i also never said they were politically affiliated .what are you even talking about
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Verum wrote:...

Verum wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

Yes, I am assuming equal intelligence. Nothing I have read here or elsewhere supports a significant gulf in such between supporters of the these parties and your post does nothing to change that view. The closest to evidence that I have seen is a correlation between educational attainment by area and how that area votes. Basically, the lower mainland and Vancouver Island are NDP/Green leaning and have generally higher levels of educational attainment than the rest of BC, which leans to the Liberals. It's very weak, so I wouldn't be so naive as to assume that the NDP/Green supporters are better educated and more intelligent than Liberal supporters.

Partisans like to think that their side is the side of intelligence, but that very thought is usually, when no significant external evidence is used to inform such an opinion, a sign of lack of intelligence.

Well you know what they say about "assuming"...................................just say'n.............
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:...

Well you know what they say about "assuming"...................................just say'n.............

Actually, what they say is about "assume", because Ming has nothing to do with this :D

Science is full of assumptions, it's just important to state them, rather than assume they are implicitly understood. The same is true of logical discourse.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Verum wrote:Yes, I am assuming equal intelligence. Nothing I have read here or elsewhere supports a significant gulf in such between supporters of the these parties and your post does nothing to change that view. The closest to evidence that I have seen is a correlation between educational attainment by area and how that area votes. Basically, the lower mainland and Vancouver Island are NDP/Green leaning and have generally higher levels of educational attainment than the rest of BC, which leans to the Liberals. It's very weak, so I wouldn't be so naive as to assume that the NDP/Green supporters are better educated and more intelligent than Liberal supporters.

Correlation between education and voting patterns is actually not all that strong. Now, it is true that the Greens did win Oak Bay Gordon Head and the NDP won some highly educated ridings, but so did the Liberals. Also, they all won low education ridings.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Glacier wrote:Correlation between education and voting patterns is actually not all that strong. Now, it is true that the Greens did win Oak Bay Gordon Head and the NDP won some highly educated ridings, but so did the Liberals. Also, they all won low education ridings.

Did you even read verums post? You responded like they said there is a correlation between education and voting. Literally the entire post was about how that isn't really supported by science.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
hupur
Fledgling

Post by hupur »

Congrats Ben Stewart.
I hope this results in an overturn of goverment.
I love my province and find it irksome that the NDP are bent on ruining it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

hupur wrote:Congrats Ben Stewart.

How do you know that they are 'bent on ruining it'. Please be specific, thanks.
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:
hupur wrote:Congrats Ben Stewart.

How do you know that they are 'bent on ruining it'. Please be specific, thanks.

I'll go out on a limb here and just toss out a few areas of concern.........
- Jeopardizing one billion of annual income the pipeline brings with it.
- Jeopardizing our wine industry which struggled long and hard simply to get to the point of being able to trade inter provincially.
- Jeopardizing BC Hydro's business plan by putting a wrench in purchase negotiations from which we all benefit.
- Jeopardizing our tourist industry by alienating our biggest customer base.
- Jeopardizing other business as Alberta contemplates further actions.
- Jeopardizing the incomes of all manner of businesses which are tied to projects such as pipelines.
- Jeopardizing BC people's jobs, as those who work in Alberta may well wind up on the target list, if not already based on some posts.

Do you need that list to be much longer before you get the gist of it?

Return to “Central Okanagan”