Robert Stupka (GP)
18%

Total votes: 73

maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna West by-election

Post by maple leaf »

https://www.kelownachamber.org/advocacy/advocacy/
Out of all the candidate answers who would be the person to actually, maybe accomplish some or any of what they say they want to accomplish? There is only one person who is more likely than the others and that would be Shelley Cook. Being in the government allows her the advantage the others don't have. How much can someone sitting in the back benches really influence what the NDPG are going to do and accomplish anything they would like to laid out in these answers.? Time for a change in our community and electing Shelley Cook and have her represent us in the current government.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ That logic might well apply, if the NDP were guaranteed to cling to power for any length of time, but they aren't, and they also aren't known for investing in the Okanagan much either.

Ben also played a pivotal role in increasing Okanagan cherry exports to the Asian market.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

maple leaf wrote:https://www.kelownachamber.org/advocacy/advocacy/
Out of all the candidate answers who would be the person to actually, maybe accomplish some or any of what they say they want to accomplish? There is only one person who is more likely than the others and that would be Shelley Cook. Being in the government allows her the advantage the others don't have. How much can someone sitting in the back benches really influence what the NDPG are going to do and accomplish anything they would like to laid out in these answers.? Time for a change in our community and electing Shelley Cook and have her represent us in the current government.

So you just had the premier,of all people, as the representative for West Kelowna. Did that help? I doubt Ms Cook will fare any better.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Old Techie wrote:^^ That logic might well apply, if the NDP were guaranteed to cling to power for any length of time, but they aren't, and they also aren't known for investing in the Okanagan much either.

Ben also played a pivotal role in increasing Okanagan cherry exports to the Asian market.

Time for a change and the NDP is the government and until there is an election it will be more advantageous to have an elected MLA who is in the government representing us.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Anonymous123 wrote:
maple leaf wrote:https://www.kelownachamber.org/advocacy/advocacy/

So you just had the premier,of all people, as the representative for West Kelowna. Did that help? I doubt Ms Cook will fare any better.

Well, Christy Clark explains a lot. In it for her friend's insiders and Liberal party donors. But I'm sure her supporters will come up with a long list of her accomplishments here.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Old Techie wrote:

Like I said being apart of the ruling government has it's advantages.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maple leaf wrote:
Old Techie wrote:^^ That logic might well apply, if the NDP were guaranteed to cling to power for any length of time, but they aren't, and they also aren't known for investing in the Okanagan much either.

Time for a change and the NDP is the government and until there is an election it will be more advantageous to have an elected MLA who is in the government representing us.

Time for a "change", that's hilarious, considering we're governed now by the 1990's NDP version 2.0.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Old Techie wrote:

maple leaf wrote:Like I said being apart of the ruling government has it's advantages.

Well it won't be long until the NDP flails once again, so you may as well vote for Ben.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

^^^^ If that is the case then why are we spending all this money on a by-election instead of waiting until next month for a general election? Wish I had a crystal ball like you guys.When will it be?
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maple leaf wrote:^^^^ If that is the case then why are we spending all this money on a by-election instead of waiting until next month for a general election? Wish I had a crystal ball like you guys.When will it be?

Can not be soon enough for the people of bc . We need more common sense in victoria not people like weaver. :smt045 :smt045 :smt045
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

alfred2 wrote:
maple leaf wrote:^^^^ If that is the case then why are we spending all this money on a by-election instead of waiting until next month for a general election? Wish I had a crystal ball like you guys.When will it be?

Can not be soon enough for the people of bc . We need more common sense in victoria not people like weaver. :smt045 :smt045 :smt045

I agree the commonsense thing to do, would be to elect Shelley Cook in this by-election.The only one of the four who has a chance of accomplishing anything for our community. Electing Ben Stewart would only have him sitting on the back benches twiddling his thumbs.
Over-Easy

Post by Over-Easy »

I still have not decided who I am going to vote for but I did find Old Techie statement perked my interest. If he really increased exports from BC to Asia,, well maybe I should vote Ben. Did look up the government numbers and now I'm undecided again. HIs first full year in China was in 2015. So take a look at what impact he had on our exports ???

B.C. ORIGIN EXPORTS TO SELECTED DESTINATIONS VALUES ($,000,000)

Mainland China 2014 ( 6,387 ) 2015 (5,725 ) 2016 ( 5,941 )

Total Asia exports has the same trend.
Norm Letnick did sign a trade deal in in June 2014 which caused a huge increase in exports of fruits and nuts for the 2014 harvest. Ben was given his post in October 2014 and not sure when he arrived in China.

So did Ben Stewart do a good job or not ?

Oh, and anyone can google BC trade Exports and its easy to find the pdf with our trade information.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Further data than what you have there would be required, however news reports, articles I've stumbled across, and even in the debates it was mentioned that trade in cherries in particular was increased by around thirty million.

FWIW it also seemed to me that local stores bore out that as well, given that it looked like all the choice cherries were going elsewhere, based on what was offered in our grocery outlets.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Over-Easy wrote:

I still have not decided who I am going to vote for but I did find Old Techie statement perked my interest. If he really increased exports from BC to Asia,, well maybe I should vote Ben. Did look up the government numbers and now I'm undecided again. HIs first full year in China was in 2015. So take a look at what impact he had on our exports ???

B.C. ORIGIN EXPORTS TO SELECTED DESTINATIONS VALUES ($,000,000)

Mainland China 2014 ( 6,387 ) 2015 (5,725 ) 2016 ( 5,941 )

Total Asia exports has the same trend.
Norm Letnick did sign a trade deal in in June 2014 which caused a huge increase in exports of fruits and nuts for the 2014 harvest. Ben was given his post in October 2014 and not sure when he arrived in China.

So did Ben Stewart do a good job or not ?

Oh, and anyone can google BC trade Exports and its easy to find the pdf with our trade information.

Would either of those men accomplished what they did, had they not been in the ruling government but had been in the opposition? Electing Shelly Cook will put her in the ruling government, most able to accomplish what she says she will do for our community over someone in the opposition.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ More like "temporarily ruling government" would be a more accurate characterization, if you read headlines at all.

You figure the voters won't care that the NDP is sabotaging BC business with poor choices? How many wineries in Kelowna West electoral district alone?

Return to “Central Okanagan”