33%
Robert Stupka (GP)
18%

Total votes: 73

maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna West by-election

Post by maple leaf »

Old Techie wrote:^^ More like "temporarily ruling government" would be a more accurate characterization, if you read headlines at all.

You figure the voters won't care that the NDP is sabotaging BC business with poor choices? How many wineries in Kelowna West electoral district alone?

I'm sure Ben Stewart would sell out the hundreds of thousands of jobs dependent on our clean ports and coastline from the risks of spilt bitumen polluting the Burrard inlet and Georga Straight over his personal interests in Quail's gate.Instead of kowtowing to Alberta childish games, join the movement to support our wineries in buying BC only, and buy extra bottles in support.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

maple leaf wrote:...
Would either of those men accomplished what they did, had they not been in the ruling government but had been in the opposition? Electing Shelly Cook will put her in the ruling government, most able to accomplish what she says she will do for our community over someone in the opposition.

I think this is a poor reason to vote for anyone. We should elect whomsoever will best represent us, not do the most for our community in particular. I actually think that Cook is sufficiently principled that she won't focus on only working for Kelowna-West and in fairness to Stewart and Letnick, they were both assigned roles which directly related to their achievements with regards to exports and agriculture from and in the Okanagan, respectively.

Old Techie wrote:^^ More like "temporarily ruling government" would be a more accurate characterization, if you read headlines at all.

All governments are temporary, thankfully! I suspect that unless the Liberals can offer the Greens a very sweet deal indeed, there is little chance that they will take down the NDP. There is probably a greater chance of a member of the NDP crossing the floor, but again, I expect that the deal required would come at too great a cost. Short of a death with a by-election, I just can't see anyone tearing down the government because anyone who could has far more to lose than to gain.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I agree that the government will probably stay the full four years unless someone dies or resigns from the NDP/Green. The Green party will definitely not call a confidence vote until they get their election reform vote. They might have a reason to topple the government after that but what would they gain. They would probably lose a lot of votes if they did that although I have a feeling that the Green Party will not get as many votes as last election regardless of what they do. The NDP did not get any more votes than the last election so all of the votes the Green received must have come Liberal and Conservative party supporters. We will see how they vote next time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Advance Voting is Available:
8am to 8pm February 6-11 at following locations:
Grace Baptism Church
Kelowna Curling Club
Super 8 Hotel West Kelowna
Powers Creek Community Church (all but February 11)
George Pringle Elementary School (Only on February 11)

my bad for being couple days late
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
polelady
Board Meister

Post by polelady »

I see lots of chatter about the by-election.. and the " WHO will you vote for?" List - It really bugs me that Castanet can NOT at least list all 5 candidates !!! Lets get with the open discussion of ALL PARTIES... good or bad... !!
Just wonder if the advertising from "Quails Gate Winnery " has an influence to it all ?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

polelady wrote:I see lots of chatter about the by-election.. and the " WHO will you vote for?" List - It really bugs me that Castanet can NOT at least list all 5 candidates !!! Lets get with the open discussion of ALL PARTIES... good or bad... !!
Just wonder if the advertising from "Quails Gate Winnery " has an influence to it all ?

I noticed that too. But here is the thing, Castanet did not set the poll up. A forum user did, anyone can. :)
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Cactusflower I think
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Moderators did after a request was made.
The forums have nothing to do with what Castanet puts on their site.
There doesn't seem to be much coverage about the by-election at all never mind listing all the candidates.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Voted this morning in a somewhat busy advanced voting location.
Everyone present (including the election workers) were about 30 years my senior. But I went pretty early and the elderly tend to be up and about that time of day.

Get out and exercise you franchise people! :up:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

More than 1,000 people ventured to the polls on day two of advanced voting for the Feb. 14 Kelowna West byelection.

A total of 1,070 votes were cast Wednesday, bringing the total of votes cast over the first two days to 1,912.

In comparison, 3,752 votes were cast over the first two days of advance polling for the provincial election in May of last year.

Advance polls are open through Sunday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. at Powers Creek Community Church and the Super 8 Motel in West Kelowna and the Kelowna Curling Club and Grace Baptist Church in Kelowna.

Election day is next Wednesday, Feb. 14.

Former MLA Ben Stewart (BC Liberals), Shelley Cook (NDP), Robert Stupka (Green), Kyle Geronazzo (Libertarian), and Mark Thompson (Progressive Conservatives) are seeking the seat left vacant by the resignation of Christy Clark in August.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218426

I've voted. Who's next?
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I am always surprised by how much of Kelowna is included within the Kelowna West riding.
Basically all of downtown all the way to Spall. That must encompass 20-30K non-Westside people?
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It used to be called Westside-Kelowna

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... a_West.png

The riding contains all of the Regional District of Central Okanagan west of Lake Okanagan and north of Peachland and the central part of the city of Kelowna.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Leifer wrote:I am always surprised by how much of Kelowna is included within the Kelowna West riding.
Basically all of downtown all the way to Spall. That must encompass 20-30K non-Westside people?

Here is maps showing the changes to Electoral Boundaries over the years as the population grew.
http://www.elections.bc.ca/docs/rpt/BCE ... anagan.pdf
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What's really annoying is that the NDP can't figure out the boundaries of the riding.

We keep getting robocalls and are not even in the riding.

It's starting to really *bleep* us off.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:What's really annoying is that the NDP can't figure out the boundaries of the riding.

We keep getting robocalls and are not even in the riding.

It's starting to really *bleep* us off.

I hear you on this one

Return to “Central Okanagan”