Visibility at night on local roads

Palliser
Fledgling

Visibility at night on local roads

Post by Palliser »

I have been away for a few years. I seem to recall reading a post here about why the lines on the road are nearly impossible to see at night. When the roads are wet and it is dark and there are on coming cars, I can barely see the lines on the road. I grew up on the prairies and I dont remember the roads being like that there. Am i crazy or is there something different here?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Visibility at night on local roads

Post by TreeGuy »

I noticed this last night on the stretch between the bridge and Kal Tire. This is the stretch they are talking about installing lighting.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Palliser wrote:I have been away for a few years. I seem to recall reading a post here about why the lines on the road are nearly impossible to see at night. When the roads are wet and it is dark and there are on coming cars, I can barely see the lines on the road. I grew up on the prairies and I dont remember the roads being like that there. Am i crazy or is there something different here?

Paint for road lines used to be lead-based and lasted longer than about 1/2 a season... but lead is bad for the environment so they phased it out
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Palliser wrote:I have been away for a few years. I seem to recall reading a post here about why the lines on the road are nearly impossible to see at night. When the roads are wet and it is dark and there are on coming cars, I can barely see the lines on the road. I grew up on the prairies and I dont remember the roads being like that there. Am i crazy or is there something different here?

RVThereYet wrote:Paint for road lines used to be lead-based and lasted longer than about 1/2 a season... but lead is bad for the environment so they phased it out

Kind of ironic when you consider all of the toxic chemicals that come off of vehicles. And not to mention road tar.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Bad enough you can't see the lines, then you get the jacked up truck behind you or coming towards you with the new headlights and makes it even worse. :biggrin:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Chances are highway maintenance companies use the cheapest approved products available.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

Agreed. I find it bad between the airport and sexsmith as well. Harder even to adapt the eyes when there is sections that are lit, and then darkness and lit again.
I also really wish all pedestrian crossing were reviewed for adequate lighting. Often its just relied on for the street lights, that can be half a block away and useless at helping to make pedestrians visible.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bubalouie wrote:Bad enough you can't see the lines, then you get the jacked up truck behind you or coming towards you with the new headlights and makes it even worse. :biggrin:

or worse, those fake "new lights" ... putting some cheap pretend HID light bulbs into a housing designed for halogen bulbs and the glare becomes dangerous to oncoming traffic.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Palliser wrote:I grew up on the prairies and I dont remember the roads being like that there. Am i crazy or is there something different here?

Yes. As people get old, their vision starts to go.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Even Steven wrote:Yes. As people get old, their vision starts to go.

What was that ya whipersnapper, I had a hard time
hearing what you wrote.

The weather plays a part, wet and no night sky equals less visability.

The Prairies are more prone to a clear night sky to help 'glow' the road.
Here, we are socked in.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“Chances are highway maintenance companies use the cheapest approved products available.”

Highway maintenance companies use the product that is specified by the authority that tendered the contract, in the case of highway 97 I believe it is a provincial resposability.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Chances are highway maintenance companies use the cheapest approved products available.

Ranger66 wrote:Highway maintenance companies use the product that is specified by the authority that tendered the contract, in the case of highway 97 I believe it is a provincial resposability.

It's probably the cheapest approved by the Province.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

The roads as far as marking around Kelowna are the worst I have ever seen. Driving to work while it is still dark and the roads are wet, it is basically a guessing game as to which lane your in. I have seen at least a hundred close calls in the couple years I've been driving from Rutland to West Kelowna.

Ridiculous to say the least...
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

My hubby made the point that, if we're compromising safety in order to avoid using lead paint, what about all the pollution caused by all the spilled oil and gasoline that results when someone has an accident?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Merry wrote:My hubby made the point that, if we're compromising safety in order to avoid using lead paint, what about all the pollution caused by all the spilled oil and gasoline that results when someone has an accident?

Consider this too....
The new bridge has scuppers ever hundred feet or so on each side with downspouts that empty directly into the lake. All fluids dropped by vehicles onto the bridge, including de-icing fluid which they pour onto the bridge by the tanker truck load in winter, goes straight into our lake.
At least the old bridge contained most of this within it's caissons, where it was pumped out and disposed of responsibly.

Return to “Central Okanagan”