BMO Refuses to Reimburse Senior Victim of Bank Fraud

ProblemSolver

Re: BMO Refuses to Reimburse Senior Victim of Bank Fraud

Post by ProblemSolver »

The problem is two fold here.

I the Bank Customer willingly sent money, or paid a fraudulent bill then the Bank will not reimburse the funds as the Customer knowingly paid said person.

If however they acquire your credit card, or other billing information without your agreement, or steal it, then the bank will use their Consumer Protection programs to cover any lost money.

This is becoming increasingly more difficult as the scam calls are occurring more and more often and the consumer usually has to give his agreement to pay them, absolving the bank from protecting them. If the OP's father agreed to pay, then he took responsibility for the payment and agreed that he did his due diligence to pay the other party. Not pretty I know but sadly we are seeing more and more banks reducing their customer protection services as they are simply taking massive losses.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ProblemSolver wrote:
I the Bank Customer willingly sent money, or paid a fraudulent bill then the Bank will not reimburse the funds as the Customer knowingly paid said person.

If however they acquire your credit card, or other billing information without your agreement, or steal it, then the bank will use their Consumer Protection programs to cover any lost money.

Exactly, if the customer sent the money then it is their own fault and not the Banks.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
ProblemSolver

Post by ProblemSolver »

Sadly that is the case, especially since we all know how easy it is to talk someone into giving their credit card over the phone. It is very frustrating when you consider how able these phone scammers are.

Return to “Central Okanagan”