Downtown Mall getting a makeover...

dle
Lord of the Board

Downtown Mall getting a makeover...

Post by dle »

I don't shop downtown too much but I've always liked the Towne Centre Mall. It's small but it feels like you can slow down and really browse - bit of a hidden gem. Lunch or a shop-snack at Molly's is always delicious - I hear they are leaving the mall but staying downtown - does anyone know where they will be located yet? I've stopped there to get take-home sides for dinner too.

The big spectacular native carving in the old growth tree stump is amazing. You can spend a long time circling it trying not to miss anything. I remember when a big storm blew through the park and I think that stump is what was left of one of the really oldster trees - neat that the City commissioned that work - it's perfect!

The piano music is perfect for a relaxing wander or lunch background sound.

It's one of the VERY few places left you can actually "feel" Christmas at that time of year - feels like the good old days somehow.

I see they are going to give the outside front a facelift. I always liked the big glass doors and the slate work at the front - it's always seemed add a bit of "pizzazz" in a boringly "blah" area of town. Not overdone - just classy.

I would like to see that front stay the way it is - it was always a welcoming entry - but there goes another little bit of Kelowna that I recognize as "Kelowna". I really and truly don't recognize a lot of Kelowna since I moved here in the early 80's but that's what they call "progress" and "moving forward" (not what I call it but "they" do!) Some of the changes are good but more are not (to me). If I was moving today, I wouldn't consider Kelowna. All the reasons I moved here then are gone - it's a completely different city now - and one I'm not really comfortable in any longer. Sometimes I wonder where I am lol - was I morphed into this driving hellhole in my sleep?? I really don't live in the past, honest - I just don't like seeing what I thought were the best parts of it totally erased and replaced something else. I like to see the special things protected not obliterated.

Anyways, I suppose with Molly's moving too the inside of the mall will lose some of it's charm as well. I hope not too much - it's a good place.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ntown-mall
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Downtown Mall getting a makeover...

Post by alanjh595 »

You realize that this is happening in Kamloops....right?

He said the hotel’s rebranding will complement the company’s adjacent 580 Victoria project, and “advance our plans to revitalize the 500 block of Victoria Street” and “re-establish Kamloops’ downtown core.”
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I rarely go downtown, most I do is pass by on my way to watch a Rockets games. Molly's is one of a very few spots I do stop (trying to think of a other, actually I can't) if I'm in the area when they are open.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

alanjh595 wrote:You realize that this is happening in Kamloops....right?

He said the hotel’s rebranding will complement the company’s adjacent 580 Victoria project, and “advance our plans to revitalize the 500 block of Victoria Street” and “re-establish Kamloops’ downtown core.”

You know the article in the OP refers to the Towne Centre Mall in Kelowna, right?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote:You realize that this is happening in Kamloops....right?

oneh2obabe wrote:You know the article in the OP refers to the Towne Centre Mall in Kelowna, right?

OOoopppssss, my bad. The title of "The Edge" article was titled, "Downtown hotel facelift".

Sorry. Carry on.
Bring back the LIKE button.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

Molly’s is moving across the street and down towards the lake. I think about a block away. It should get more walk in traffic there I would think.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

pbear wrote:Molly’s is moving across the street and down towards the lake. I think about a block away. It should get more walk in traffic there I would think.

Near the corner of Ellis, approx. 520 Bernard Ave.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dle;
You covered a lot.
I agree with the vast majority and share much the same sentiment.

It is a great place to just take a few moments, have a coffee
and wander around the willow tree.

I confess to not actually purchasing anything else from stores in the mall though.

eta; I stand corrected, the art piece is carved of Cottonwood, not Willow
Last edited by dirtybiker on Jan 20th, 2018, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dirtybiker wrote:dle;
You covered a lot.
I agree with the vast majority and share much the same sentiment.

It is a great place to just take a few moments, have a coffee
and wander around the willow tree.

I confess to not actually purchasing anything else from stores in the mall though.

It's funny - all I started out to say was I liked those front doors/slate lol but then once I got going I realized all the other things I liked about that mall - it was like I was just having another wander through it in my mind's eye!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Molly's has been around for so long can't remember it not being there. They expanded the first chance they got I think because they were always so busy. Great folks running it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

dirtybiker wrote:dle;

Annegret’s is my favourite chocolatier when I want a gift or to spoil myself. If chocolate isn’t your thing, I’ll have your share :D
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:Molly's has been around for so long can't remember it not being there. They expanded the first chance they got I think because they were always so busy. Great folks running it.

Glad they are going to be somewhere else downtown...yum!
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I don't mind this mall but I do think it is pretty dated. I have been there maybe 5 or 6 times in the past year and it has always been fairly empty. The chocolate store is nice, and the dress store is a destination for its clients but most of everything else seems stuck in the 80s/90s.

Maybe some folks like it but by no means would I call that place vibrant. Once Mission Group gets going across the street things should significantly change though.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Scrobins94 wrote:I don't mind this mall but I do think it is pretty dated. I have been there maybe 5 or 6 times in the past year and it has always been fairly empty. The chocolate store is nice, and the dress store is a destination for its clients but most of everything else seems stuck in the 80s/90s.

Maybe some folks like it but by no means would I call that place vibrant. Once Mission Group gets going across the street things should significantly change though.

Yeah, "vibrant" wouldn't be my choice of words either. "Comfy" is probably closer lol! I have done some shopping at that dress store, and the shoe store - seems to have a fairly good selection, and of course munched my way through probably everything on Molly's menu - and of course Annagrets chocolates but mostly at Christmas.

It is quite empty usually I agree - maybe that's why I enjoy the times I'm in there! There used to be a clothing store in there at the front I used to shop in a lot but it's a bridal place now I think...and I have gone to the hair salon in there as well (and then gone to Molly's for more food :138:

What is going in across at the old Bargain Store? I think I remember reading about something being suggested, but I forget what it was - I'll take a stab with condos? Usually it's condos.....
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Towne Centre Mall really does feel tired. It's not classically well designed and it really feels cheap to me, like a low quality relic. I'm all for preserving high quality, beautiful parts of our cities, but in my opinion this isn't one of them.

Sadly, what is being proposed is a kind of band-aid fix. Sure, it'll look a little neater and modern, but in 20 years if not significantly less, it'll be similarly dated, dull and dead and without a complete redesign inside, ideally with some attempt to make it look less like a random collection of store fronts, no amount of changes outside will make it feel high quality.

Return to “Central Okanagan”