Downtown Mall getting a makeover...

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Downtown Mall getting a makeover...

Post by dle »

Verum wrote:The Towne Centre Mall really does feel tired. It's not classically well designed and it really feels cheap to me, like a low quality relic. I'm all for preserving high quality, beautiful parts of our cities, but in my opinion this isn't one of them.

Sadly, what is being proposed is a kind of band-aid fix. Sure, it'll look a little prettier, but in 20 years if not significantly less, it'll be similarly dated, dull and dead and without a complete redesign inside, ideally with some attempt to make it look less like a random collection of store fronts, no amount of changes outside will make it feel high quality.

I hope they do remodel inside as well - maybe add a second story if allowed - don't see why not if condos can be 30+around here now why not a second story mall?) But, if they do I wonder where they will move the tree carving (or leave it right their as a focal point) and put an escalator on either side - it's so beautiful it should be displayed prominently somewhere. If not, maybe take the tree back to it's home - put it in the controversial tourist building on the lake.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are offices on the second floor.

Information on the bear:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMFT ... Kelowna_BC
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:There are offices on the second floor.

Guess I should start looking up more often lol!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:There are offices on the second floor.

Information on the bear:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMFT ... Kelowna_BC

Thanks for the tree info - it really is a stunning work of art...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.virtualbctours.com/virtualto ... eading=142

There's an entrance to stairs just before the bear. Molly's extends around the stairs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Off topic here.

There was next door to the Towne Centre Mall a little Cafe that made very good breakfast for reasonable price (I know there still is a cafe, not the same). I would walk away filled up (also liked Lena's)

Added: now one would pay near double with what looks like half the food.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:http://www.virtualbctours.com/virtualtours/vt.php?panoid=htmF-ueIrzkAAAQZB8ZbZQ&heading=142
There's an entrance to stairs just before the bear. Molly's extends around the stairs.

Yep, I've "seen" those stairs anytime I've gone to Molly's but since they weren't going anywhere I was interested in going I guess didn't even pay them any attention. When I mentioned maybe adding a second story to the mall I meant for the good stuff - like shopping - not paperwork lol! They could put in an escalator - I like escalators, ya I know, weird right? Not to mention lazy as heck! Although I usually walk up them anyways because they are so slow and I get impatient. The big department stores in Vancouver have(had) the escalators, and Woodwards in Kamloops had one.

Why am I babbling on about escalators?? Need more.... :bethecoffee: ...(pretend this guy is saying "tea")
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:Off topic here.

There was next door to the Towne Centre Mall a little Cafe that made very good breakfast for reasonable price (I know there still is a cafe, not the same). I would walk away filled up (also liked Lena's)

Added: now one would pay near double with what looks like half the food.

I miss Lena's too. Only thing close now is Cora's.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

probably less expensive to tear it down and rebuild. Really nothing in there, seems like people use it just to cut across from Lawrence to Bernard
lots of ppl rave about the breakfast at the Green Leaf (next to mad mango) price isn't bad and the guys I saw were enjoying it.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

normaM wrote: mad mango)

Good food, good portions, doesn't break the bank.. :up:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”