Kelowna Bicycle Rental Program

rvr105

Kelowna Bicycle Rental Program

Post by rvr105 »

We just returned from Dallas, Texas, where we were exposed to green and yellow rental bikes that were everywhere. Dallas started the program in August of last year and now there are over 20,000 bikes littering the landscape, sidewalks, alleys, streets, lawns, medians - literally "everywhere". What started out as a good idea is now a nightmare, and as the Dallas newspaper (Saturday Jan 20) quipped, they were like Star Trek's "tribbles" - seemingly an endless multiplication.

What started out as a single supplier is now four, and a fifth has applied to add even more bikes. The sight of yellow and green bikes laying on the ground in public thoroughfares as we drove in from the airport was, at first, curious, then over the next few days we became dismayed by the seemingly endless supply of bikes and by the time we left we actually felt a bit disgusted about the carelessness of the program. Funny, though, we never saw a single person riding a rental bike (although the minus 10 C weather might have had something to do with that!).

No bike corrals or docking stations - just leave it where you may. Dallas is, at best, a bit compromised for urban beauty, but the rent-a-bikes are like uncontrolled dandelions. According to the paper, it was now at the point (only 5 months into the program) where the city was considering sending out trucks to pick up any bike that was not in use or in a docking station and taking them to the auto compound (which they will soon fill to the brim, I'm sure) and the operators would be charged $50 to retrieve them.

There's a lesson here for Kelowna, one calling for strict control and monitoring, lest we become known for a new form of pestilence, "Okanagan Bike Blight".
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna Bicycle Rental Program

Post by gman313 »

a deposit would be pretty simple to have. Charge whatever the rate for the bike plus a $50 deposit. Return the bike, get your deposit.

Also, our population is like 120,000 vs the millions in Dallas so the scale is completely different. The fact we have a winter may also slow this initiative down. It won't be profitable in the winter while your bikes sit out in the cold rain and rust. Makes sense from say March - November though. Private, not public IMO
spooker

Post by spooker »

There's no need for a deposit since the bike are rented out through an app that knows who you are and where you are. And the major reason for having a dockless system is that you can grab the nearest bike, go where you need and not be required to transport it back or take it to the nearest docking station.

Also, this program is being run by a private company, not a public utility. The City is just providing the guidelines for how the company will be operating here.

There will be a truck that collects bikes that are outside the general usage zone and brings them back into play.

Starting with 500 bikes makes sense, test the waters and see how it's used. No one wants an eyesore. The guy from the city has put together a nice document that addresses a lot of the pain points discovered in other cities with regards to bike share programs.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=10299
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

spooker wrote:There's no need for a deposit since the bike are rented out through an app that knows who you are and where you are. And the major reason for having a dockless system is that you can grab the nearest bike, go where you need and not be required to transport it back or take it to the nearest docking station.

Also, this program is being run by a private company, not a public utility. The City is just providing the guidelines for how the company will be operating here.

There will be a truck that collects bikes that are outside the general usage zone and brings them back into play.

Starting with 500 bikes makes sense, test the waters and see how it's used. No one wants an eyesore. The guy from the city has put together a nice document that addresses a lot of the pain points discovered in other cities with regards to bike share programs.

So I rent a bike, ride somewhere, go in to a store or whatever come out and someone else who just rented one took mine and there's no more in sight so I'm screwed. Sounds like a great idea to me. Well at least the dealers downtown won't gave to steal privately owned bikes anymore, there be an endless supply for them.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Ok , ok , ok ....

Everyone go back ....

This ...IS A TRAP !!!!

All I see is 500 useless beaten and stripped pieces of junk littering the streets in less than 9 months.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I can see 2 or 300 out there, more than that I just can't see.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Urban detritus.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

We'll get to see what happens ... I'm going to hope that it goes well ... I find that I'm a lot less grumpy when I'm optimistic, there'd be many people on these forums that might benefit from the same outlook ;)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Walking Wounded wrote:
spooker wrote:There's no need for a deposit since the bike are rented out through an app that knows who you are and where you are. And the major reason for having a dockless system is that you can grab the nearest bike, go where you need and not be required to transport it back or take it to the nearest docking station.

So I rent a bike, ride somewhere, go in to a store or whatever come out and someone else who just rented one took mine and there's no more in sight so I'm screwed. Sounds like a great idea to me. Well at least the dealers downtown won't gave to steal privately owned bikes anymore, there be an endless supply for them.

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Walking Wounded wrote:So I rent a bike, ride somewhere, go in to a store or whatever come out and someone else who just rented one took mine and there's no more in sight so I'm screwed. Sounds like a great idea to me. Well at least the dealers downtown won't gave to steal privately owned bikes anymore, there be an endless supply for them.

If you are still renting the bike it probably won't show up as available.

One person contacted the local CBC radio show and asked this question, "what about bike helmets and our bylaw?"

This is a good point. If you are a local and plan to use the bikes perhaps you will have your helmet with you. What about tourists though that may rent one and not have/use a helmet.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

is it legal to rent these bikes without helmets ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
spooker

Post by spooker »

the truth wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:So I rent a bike, ride somewhere, go in to a store or whatever come out and someone else who just rented one took mine and there's no more in sight so I'm screwed. Sounds like a great idea to me. Well at least the dealers downtown won't gave to steal privately owned bikes anymore, there be an endless supply for them.

and that's the truth

Actually no, that's not the truth ... or I should clarify that it is if you're not thinking and you release the bike before you're done with it ...

If you check out a bike to go shopping, you wouldn't release it to the available pool until you are "done" with it ... once you've said you're done using a resource you can't expect it to stay there at your beck and call ... you actually have to think about your plan, something I know we're lacking too often these days ...

Seeing non-cyclists or people who've never tried a sharing service talk talk about this subject is just too funny ... sorry that I enjoy it ... maybe it's not that people here could use trying an optimistic outlook but rather that legalized marijuana can't come fast enough ...

TreeGuy wrote:One person contacted the local CBC radio show and asked this question, "what about bike helmets and our bylaw?"

This is a good point. If you are a local and plan to use the bikes perhaps you will have your helmet with you. What about tourists though that may rent one and not have/use a helmet.

They've already decided that supplying helmets isn't worth it, so the hope is that people will be smart about it ... people who will wear helmets will take care and plan accordingly, otherwise those who wouldn't wear a helmet won't put on shared helmets anyway ...

"Our bylaw" is not accurate by the way ... it's a provincial law, part of the 1996 MVA ... tourists aren't exempt from the law either ...
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I loved all the comments because so many different issues have been brought up. BTW what is the cost of just one bike never mind the statement made of getting between 500 to 1500 ? OK. I'm with with maybe 100 at most. Helmets - well if you are a tourist I guess you get a pass on that ? The comment about bikes being taken (stolen) & used for deliveries ? Yes what does a person do when that happens ? Time will tell & maybe 9 months is a good estimate ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

featfan wrote:https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/foldable-paper-bike-helmet-wins-james-dyson-award.html

Disposable bike helmet.

cool :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”