Aqua Height Okay

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Aqua Height Okay

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/217062/Aqua-height-OK

Is this not the same developer that can't put towers at Central Green because of "geo-technical problems"? Aqua is a lot closer to the lake than CG is and the "geo-technical" costs would be a lot higher.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/215746/a-big-disappointment
A representative for the developer confirmed to council adding height to the final parcel fronting Harvey Avenue would be difficult due to geo-technical challenges on the site.

He said they are limited in height from a cost perspective.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Aqua Height Okay

Post by just popping in »

Different developer.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Yes. Really.
You and 71 others Like this post
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I see now what you are referring to, you are correct:

http://www.missiongroup.ca/residential/ ... ers-story/
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Stober and Mission Group are simply two different developers working on separate parcels within the overall development.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I remember when the Kiwanis Tower was supposed to the tallest building in Kelowna and under a few City Councils it stayed that way. Part of the reasoning was that views of the lake shouldn't be blocked by tall buildings. How times have changed.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Who the hell cares about views?

From where??? If you live downtown you don't have any views anyways.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

techrtr wrote:I remember when the Kiwanis Tower was supposed to the tallest building in Kelowna and under a few City Councils it stayed that way. Part of the reasoning was that views of the lake shouldn't be blocked by tall buildings. How times have changed.

How does a 20 story building block views of a lake more than a 3-4 story building? Unless you're 5 stories tall, both buildings are blocking your view.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Deleted by poster
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 24th, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

I honestly am a bit confused/concerned. While I have no problem with high rises at shore, I do have an issue with huge apartment (sorry Condo) towers at shore which clearly aren't meant for locals and will add in traffic/congestion but do little to contribute to day to day living of locals.

Now I am not discounting potential revenue from tourists here, but this complex adds roughly 600 cars (at least in allotted slots for residences) to an area which has only "one" access road. This is not accounting for the units at Waters Edge (when rebuilt) or the other buildings there. In addition seeing retail stores, in an environment that is predominantly residential with hospitality in mind.

How is it that we are not building tall from the core outward, but build tall towards the core? I know there are profit related answers but this is starting to bug me, considering we are having no problem with urban sprawl, a road network which needs to be optimized and currently makes it a requirement to have a vehicle. I know to question is always easy, but I simply see this town working mostly on creating low wage/paying jobs through retail, hospitality or other developments, but ignores the fact that the workers needed can no longer afford to live in the region.

*Sigh* Sorry... but this really bugged me, I like the Idea of the Aqua, but I feel that other things have to happen first before it should go ahead...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

dominik wrote:do have an issue with huge apartment (sorry Condo) towers at shore which clearly aren't meant for locals and

How do you know it's not locals living there?
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

What I really shake my head at is - why are there endless meetings with developers seeking approval for height variances in Kelowna? What's the point ? Pretty much just a song and dance. What really is the point of even having height restrictions in the official city plan? Nobody sticks to it.

Everybody does what they want anyway. And city council just goes "Mmmm yeah OK - where's that rubber approval stamp?" And then after the fact of getting it approved the developer says "naaaaaah - not going to do it that way - don't want to. Costs too much money". And there's no repercussions. Case in point - Central Green.

There's no point in even having size/height restrictions in the official city plan if council can't say "NO". Once you say yes to one guy all the others say "well you did it for THEM now you have to do it for us".
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Everyone knows the only way to densify and be "world class" is to build ridiculously tall buildings! They're charming and make great neighbourhoods! Except the part where it's not and they don't.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

And yet, when one of the developers wants to go lower, everyone gets uptight.

Return to “Central Okanagan”