IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

galore

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Post by galore »

A bit of good news today. Parts have arrived and being installed. Hope to be repaired and pool re-opening approx. 1 March 18
Keep your fingers crossed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:130: Thanks for the up date!

I'm sure many people have suffered long enough.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Yey!!! Thanks Galore....was about to get my placard out and start marching the streets. No fun in this weather.
galore

Post by galore »

Hey grapefruit, hope this latest info comes to pass. If not I might have to get a sign and join you. Might have a bit of a problem doing that, since the pool has been closed for 2 months, I can now hardly walk. Keeping my fingers crossed.
galore

Post by galore »

Last info today (28 Feb 18) -More specialized parts on the way - still no time for re-opening, but hoping for the nest 1 or 2 weeks. Why can't someone from IHA give us some information or status on the pool?
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

because IH wont publicly admit that they dropped the ball on this one.
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

So I have no other option to get the placard out and call Global news again!! Watch this space. It's been 8 weeks since the pool closed. Soooo many people suffering. Way to go IHA on your superior patient health care.....NOT!! :-X
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

funny, I thought a bunch of people on this thread were all going to pitch in and buy a pump......when does theirs arrive????
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Interesting.....the parts are coming from France!! But they haven't got to Canada yet. Way things are going it'll open in June :130:
galore

Post by galore »

Has anybody heard any update of the current state of affairs??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

galore wrote:Has anybody heard any update of the current state of affairs??

Not directed specifically at you, but a question in answer to your question - has anyone called KGH Physiotherapy directly to ask? I believe the number is 250-869-2600
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

The number is 250 862 4210 ext#2. I call everyday and listen to the same recording...."our maintenance crew are doing all they can"! I'm sure IHA wouldn't pay air freight so it's probably bobbing along on some ship in the Atlantic ocean :-X
galore

Post by galore »

Have called often (as grapefruit says - no response from IHA). I get the impression that Rehab staff are muzzled by the powers that be so no one will step out and jeopardizes their job by letting their customers (patients) know what is happening. Oh well, maybe I am falling into the P---sed off category. Thanks for all your concern - NOT - IHA
sabumnim

Post by sabumnim »

I am so outraged, hearing about this post.

The KGH rehabilitation pool is very familiar to me, having made over 200 visits to rehabilitate two hip resurfacing surgeries to make my re-entry into the workforce actually possible.

I am also the pioneer of the Birmingham hip operation, here in the Okanagan and while I cannot speak for all of the thousands of people who've had hip replacements, here, I can't begin to tell you how difficult and awful the recovery from hip surgery would be, without this type of pool therapy?

It was a crucial step in my recovery and also, regaining my overall range of motion, as I am also a long time professional athlete who makes my living in sports.

Have any of you ever had a hip surgery ? It's horribly painful, even with morphine, and they leave a very long scar, about 10 inches long down the hip and the side of the leg, which never goes away, by the way. (I have two scars) The waitlists for surgery are also too bloody long for my liking.

Mine was like three years long and during this time, I suffered like hell from the "bone on bone" situation. My surgeon. Dr Arno Smit, said my hip joints had only 25 percent bone, left, the worst he had ever seen in a patient.

There is no fun, ever after you get better ? How about setting off the alarms at the airport security checkins while 50 people are watching and then, you are treated basically like a criminal, even with a surgeon's letter in hand.

This pool has literally benefited thousands and thousands of Okanagan residents over the years, including many who travel from as far away as Kamloops and Grand Forks to attend these pool sessions.

During my time in the pool, I made life long friends with others also in rehab and it assisted me in my recovery, as well.

To Chris Mazurkiwich, CEO, of Interior Health, I ask: what were you thinking in deciding to close the pool for the sake of a few thousand dollars. It just goes to show how arrogant IHA is and how out of touch they are with the local community.

p.s. if this pool ever gets closed, please pm me and I will personally organize a fund-raiser for a new rehab pool. This is not a luxury, but a vital service for the people of the Interior. We will also hire the current pool manager for the new location. This gentleman (who's name I will not divulge) has saved thousands of lives in the Okanagan, with his knowledge of physiotherapy and other good things.
galore

Post by galore »

Well said Sabunmin - you nailed it. Still no further information

Return to “Central Okanagan”