IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

hutton
Fledgling

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Post by hutton »

grapefruit wrote:Outside of Greater Vancouver (GF Strong) it is the only one of its kind in BC. With a hydralic pump that raises the mobile floor it is such an advantage for mobility issues. Once again IHA shows it doesn't give a rat's :cuss: about patient care!

this is incorrect, as the pool at the H2O Centre also has a movable floor at one end of the 100m pool.
Since that centre is city owned and operated by the YMCA, it would be nice to see the programs moved to there
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It would be nice not to put patients in the public eye. The hospital pool is relatively private and has all the facilities patients need for additional healthcare and appts.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

hutton wrote:
grapefruit wrote:Outside of Greater Vancouver (GF Strong) it is the only one of its kind in BC. With a hydralic pump that raises the mobile floor it is such an advantage for mobility issues. Once again IHA shows it doesn't give a rat's :cuss: about patient care!

this is incorrect, as the pool at the H2O Centre also has a movable floor at one end of the 100m pool.
Since that centre is city owned and operated by the YMCA, it would be nice to see the programs moved to there

The H2O floor is not raised to floor level by a hydraulic pump. It is also not 32 degrees in temperature which helps muscles and joints to move easier. They also don't have a rail in the water that people with recovering spinal injuries can hold onto.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Catri wrote:This decision isn't being made by the NDP, it's being made by IHA. I would wager that very few of the decision makers at IHA are actually NDP supporters. I know it's hard to believe, but not every discussion needs to be diverted into partisan politics.

So, I don't know anything about the pool, but IHA is funded by the government, (Ministry of Health). Hard to say that a decision like this one lies only in the hands of IHA when the pool is funded by the government. IHA gets to decide how to spend the money, but with budget coming, if the Ministry has told IHA that funding for the pool will be cut, then IHA would have to pull the money out of some other form of health care to fund the pool which sounds to be expensive.

Who is willing to pay more taxes for the pool? If you are, great, but I suspect you're among then 5% of people who are.

(everything I've written is speculation as I really don't know the circumstances around the pool or even IF there is talk of closing it. It would seem to me to be a valuable asset for the rehab dept.)
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

youjustcomplain wrote:So, I don't know anything about the pool, but IHA is funded by the government, (Ministry of Health). Hard to say that a decision like this one lies only in the hands of IHA when the pool is funded by the government. IHA gets to decide how to spend the money, but with budget coming, if the Ministry has told IHA that funding for the pool will be cut, then IHA would have to pull the money out of some other form of health care to fund the pool which sounds to be expensive.

Who is willing to pay more taxes for the pool? If you are, great, but I suspect you're among then 5% of people who are.

(everything I've written is speculation as I really don't know the circumstances around the pool or even IF there is talk of closing it. It would seem to me to be a valuable asset for the rehab dept.)

That's not the way it works. The ministry does not have say over funding for this vs that. The ministry provides IHA with funding and letters of expectation. Generally saying thinks like "we want you to improve services for mental health patients". The ministry lets IHA decide how to best spend the money.

Lots of other misconceptions as well. Anytime you hear the word "Bonus" used you know the poster is providing false information. There are no bonuses at IHA at any level. Yes, perhaps if you save the organization a bunch of money you may get a good performance review which could in turn lead to a pay raise - but flat rate bonuses are simply not something that happens.

As much as many of you want to be angry and spread unfounded hate - the matter of the fact is simple. IHA only has so much funding provided to them. They'd like a lot more. IH like every other health authority is constantly strapped for cash and often has to make hard decisions as a result. Closing the pool (if it happens) likely would be done to save money yes - but I'm sorry to say that the money saved won't go into bonuses it'll go toward some other service that the decision makers have decided is more important.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

We've heard what a tragic loss this pool would be if we lose it...does anyone know why it is potentially being closed? I'm sure money is the root cause, but is there a specific issue behind this?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Could this be a tactic to privatize the pool, or is there another private entity planning to offer a similar service for a charge? Just seems a lot of the auxiliary public health care in Kelowna gets privatized.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 25th, 2018, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 25th, 2018, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

wanderer wrote:Could this be a tactic to privatize the pool, or is there another private entity planning to offer a similar service for a charge? Just seems a lot of the auxiliary public health care in Kelowna gets privatized.

I wondered the same thing, if this was being done for the same reason the laundry was outsourced. Not that I agree with it in either case.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I know a person who came here from Vancouver. He said in Vancouver he could access a lot more services through the hospital than here. Example exercise program for Heart Health was no cost to him in Vanc as program was funded ... here there is a fee even though they get the same funding for that program! He said he came across that many times, it was hard on him because he was very low income and the programs he could freely access in Vanc cost him when he came here.
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

JayByrd wrote:We've heard what a tragic loss this pool would be if we lose it...does anyone know why it is potentially being closed? I'm sure money is the root cause, but is there a specific issue behind this?

The pool was closed for maintenance on Dec 24th which was no problem as all pools close at one time or other. However the hydraulic pump, which raises the pool surface to floor level, needs replacing. This is just normal wear and tear, much like getting your tires replaced albeit more expensive. The cost is approx $6,000, not that much considering the benefits it gives to people who have mobility issues.
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

wanderer wrote:Could this be a tactic to privatize the pool, or is there another private entity planning to offer a similar service for a charge? Just seems a lot of the auxiliary public health care in Kelowna gets privatized.

There are apparently no plans to privatize. I'm pretty sure they just want to fill it in and use it for office space
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

youjustcomplain wrote:Who is willing to pay more taxes for the pool? If you are, great, but I suspect you're among then 5% of people who are.

I'm willing to pay one less IHA bureaucrat.

All kidding aside, my family has benefited from this pool so I would have no problem with taxes being used for this, even if it meant an increase. Rehabilitation is hard enough, the easier we can make it on patients for therapy, perhaps the faster they recover. That in itself is a huge savings.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

beancounter wrote:
I'm willing to pay one less IHA bureaucrat.

All kidding aside, my family has benefited from this pool so I would have no problem with taxes being used for this, even if it meant an increase. Rehabilitation is hard enough, the easier we can make it on patients for therapy, perhaps the faster they recover. That in itself is a huge savings.

Agreed, major benefit, used it myself.
If my accounts were a bit more flush rather than flushed.

I would pay the $6-7000.00 myself to insure others recieved the same benefits
of this pool as I did.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”