IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

grapefruit
Fledgling

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Post by grapefruit »

dirtybiker wrote:
beancounter wrote:
I'm willing to pay one less IHA bureaucrat.

All kidding aside, my family has benefited from this pool so I would have no problem with taxes being used for this, even if it meant an increase. Rehabilitation is hard enough, the easier we can make it on patients for therapy, perhaps the faster they recover. That in itself is a huge savings.

Agreed, major benefit, used it myself.
If my accounts were a bit more flush rather than flushed.

I would pay the $6-7000.00 myself to insure others recieved the same benefits
of this pool as I did.

Totally with you on that. It helps people stay at home and out of hospitals and care homes. It helps with pain management and reduces the use of narcotics for some. I have been unable to work for some time but 4 months in this pool and I was planning on going back to work and my pain has decreased by 50%
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

jamapple wrote:I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.

I have yet to see proof it is being closed.....

This thread is a speculative question followed by support for it and then condemnation and anger over something not even known as real or not.

If the next thread was "Horgan molesting underage Asians on trade mission.... no proof to follow" would you all line up to condemn him? good grief people.

Yes this pool has benefits, all of our healthcare system has actual benefits, I've heard of it and would certainly like it to stay, or hear a reason why closing...maybe it's being replaced, maybe it's no longer save, maybe it's for a stupid reason.

Till anything is actually known perhaps the speculation machine can cool it a bit, I encourage a thread where people talk about the benefits of the pool, but the witch hunt on rumor I find silly.
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Veovis wrote:
jamapple wrote:I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.

I have yet to see proof it is being closed.....

This thread is a speculative question followed by support for it and then condemnation and anger over something not even known as real or not.

If the next thread was "Horgan molesting underage Asians on trade mission.... no proof to follow" would you all line up to condemn him? good grief people.

Yes this pool has benefits, all of our healthcare system has actual benefits, I've heard of it and would certainly like it to stay, or hear a reason why closing...maybe it's being replaced, maybe it's no longer save, maybe it's for a stupid reason.

Till anything is actually known perhaps the speculation machine can cool it a bit, I encourage a thread where people talk about the benefits of the pool, but the witch hunt on rumor I find silly.

This is not a rumour. As a user of this pool for the last 3years I know for a fact that the hierarchy are reluctant to spend the funds to keep this pool operational. As someone who reaps the benefit from this facility why would I start a witch hunt?
goodswimmer

Post by goodswimmer »

WOW this is terrible
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Grapefruit :130: You got results!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217270

The therapeutic pool at Kelowna General Hospital is closed - and there are fears among patients it may never reopen.

It closed for maintenance on Dec. 23, and was scheduled to open again in early January.

The pool, which is used by about 130 patients each day, has yet to open again.

Noelle Jefferys, a former nurse, and now patient who used the pool on a regular basis, says a hydraulic pump needs to be replaced at a cost of between $5,000 and $6,000.

She claims the hospital administrators are balking at the cost.

"It's the only pool of it's kind outside the Lower Mainland," Jefferys told Castanet News.

"There's one at GF Strong in Vancouver."

GF Strong is a rehabilitation facility.

Castanet attempted to get answers from Interior Health, but were told only the pool is down due to a maintenance issue, and recommend patients access other facilities such as the Parkinson Rec Centre, H2O, the Kelowna YMCA, or the Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre in West Kelowna.

Jefferys, and others who have reached out to Castanet say the other facilities are not an option for those who require the therapeutic pool.

The other pools are too cold, don't have dedicated staff to watch out for those with mobility issues or, in the case of the river run at the H2O Centre, then current is too fast.

Jefferys says at the pool in KGH, people in wheelchairs or walkers or on crutches, go onto the pool floor. They hold on to a rail, then an attendant removes their mobility apparatus.

The floor is then lowered into the pool.

She says there are different workout stations within the pool.

For the money it would cost to fix the pump, Jefferys believes there is no excuse to forgo the cost.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

That's a nothing cost in my mind. I know budgets are tight, but cost vs reward this additional 6K (operating costs will be much much higher overall) however an additional $,000 to an annual budget should be find-able.

However maybe someone is playing hardball for once as we know all to often as soon as it is known to be government the price often triples in it's quote.

Hopefully there is a company that will fix for regular rate and not "government" rates.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Aeader

Post by Aeader »

Queen K wrote:I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.

This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Great idea, the price seems like peanuts but I certainly would want a couple of quotes to confirm this is the only problem.
daffydill

Post by daffydill »

As someone who has had surgery and used the KGH pool for months, and up for another surgery in a few weeks, the closure of that pool is devastating. There are registered physio therapists on site who assist. Can formulate specific programs for individuals. When you have to do pay to use it is the most reasonable rate for 30 minutes with this combination. I have been waiting many weeks to go back to prepare for surgery. I'm concerned that I will not be ready due to this closure. I think the expense is negligent in comparison to the annual fees collected by those who choose to continue therapy and pay. Just concerned and supremely disappointed. I cannot afford a membership for any of the other options. :135:
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Aeader wrote:This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.

OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

I get it and it could be done, heck people make donations all the time, it's all good, and I applaud it, it just sounds dirty when it's gofundme somehow.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Veovis wrote:OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

I get it and it could be done, heck people make donations all the time, it's all good, and I applaud it, it just sounds dirty when it's gofundme somehow.

The thing is a number of organizations do fund raisers (i.e KGH auxiliary etc...etc) to enable medical devised to be donated to KGH. As well other Hospitals all over..... what do you think many of those Hospital Lottery's are for in BC.

Added: https://www.kghfoundation.com/top-priority-needs/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis wrote:

Aeader wrote:This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.

OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

Yes indeed. All I'm doing is illustrating how easy $6000 paltry dollars is to raise. Or is it? Is there any political will inside the KGH managerial bemouth to actually save the pool?

If say, a multimillionaire stepped in and said, "Heck, I spend that much one my McClaren's oil change, I could save the pool and write a cheque for THAT project alone." Would KGH go for it?

I'm not discouraging ideas here. And if a multimillionaire steps forward with $5500, I'll be good on my offer to throw in the $500.
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Queen K wrote:Grapefruit :130: You got results!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217270

The therapeutic pool at Kelowna General Hospital is closed - and there are fears among patients it may never reopen.

It closed for maintenance on Dec. 23, and was scheduled to open again in early January.

The pool, which is used by about 130 patients each day, has yet to open again.

Noelle Jefferys, a former nurse, and now patient who used the pool on a regular basis, says a hydraulic pump needs to be replaced at a cost of between $5,000 and $6,000.

She claims the hospital administrators are balking at the cost.

"It's the only pool of it's kind outside the Lower Mainland," Jefferys told Castanet News.

"There's one at GF Strong in Vancouver."

GF Strong is a rehabilitation facility.

Castanet attempted to get answers from Interior Health, but were told only the pool is down due to a maintenance issue, and recommend patients access other facilities such as the Parkinson Rec Centre, H2O, the Kelowna YMCA, or the Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre in West Kelowna.

Jefferys, and others who have reached out to Castanet say the other facilities are not an option for those who require the therapeutic pool.

The other pools are too cold, don't have dedicated staff to watch out for those with mobility issues or, in the case of the river run at the H2O Centre, then current is too fast.

Jefferys says at the pool in KGH, people in wheelchairs or walkers or on crutches, go onto the pool floor. They hold on to a rail, then an attendant removes their mobility apparatus.

The floor is then lowered into the pool.

She says there are different workout stations within the pool.

For the money it would cost to fix the pump, Jefferys believes there is no excuse to forgo the cost.

Thanks Queen....hopefully this will help

Return to “Central Okanagan”