IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby grapefruit » Jan 25th, 2018, 4:19 pm

dirtybiker wrote:
beancounter wrote:
I'm willing to pay one less IHA bureaucrat.

All kidding aside, my family has benefited from this pool so I would have no problem with taxes being used for this, even if it meant an increase. Rehabilitation is hard enough, the easier we can make it on patients for therapy, perhaps the faster they recover. That in itself is a huge savings.


Agreed, major benefit, used it myself.
If my accounts were a bit more flush rather than flushed.

I would pay the $6-7000.00 myself to insure others recieved the same benefits
of this pool as I did.


Totally with you on that. It helps people stay at home and out of hospitals and care homes. It helps with pain management and reduces the use of narcotics for some. I have been unable to work for some time but 4 months in this pool and I was planning on going back to work and my pain has decreased by 50%

Queen K likes this post.
grapefruit
 
Posts: 57
Likes: 69 posts
Liked in: 60 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby jamapple » Jan 25th, 2018, 8:44 pm

I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.
jamapple
Übergod
 
Posts: 1522
Likes: 5394 posts
Liked in: 1260 posts
Joined: Oct 1st, 2008, 10:00 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Veovis » Jan 25th, 2018, 10:56 pm

jamapple wrote:I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.


I have yet to see proof it is being closed.....

This thread is a speculative question followed by support for it and then condemnation and anger over something not even known as real or not.

If the next thread was "Horgan molesting underage Asians on trade mission.... no proof to follow" would you all line up to condemn him? good grief people.

Yes this pool has benefits, all of our healthcare system has actual benefits, I've heard of it and would certainly like it to stay, or hear a reason why closing...maybe it's being replaced, maybe it's no longer save, maybe it's for a stupid reason.

Till anything is actually known perhaps the speculation machine can cool it a bit, I encourage a thread where people talk about the benefits of the pool, but the witch hunt on rumor I find silly.

3 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5875
Likes: 890 posts
Liked in: 4128 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby grapefruit » Jan 25th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Veovis wrote:
jamapple wrote:I broke my back a number of years ago, and used that pool in my long term rehab program I was in. Sad to see it go.


I have yet to see proof it is being closed.....

This thread is a speculative question followed by support for it and then condemnation and anger over something not even known as real or not.

If the next thread was "Horgan molesting underage Asians on trade mission.... no proof to follow" would you all line up to condemn him? good grief people.



Yes this pool has benefits, all of our healthcare system has actual benefits, I've heard of it and would certainly like it to stay, or hear a reason why closing...maybe it's being replaced, maybe it's no longer save, maybe it's for a stupid reason.



Till anything is actually known perhaps the speculation machine can cool it a bit, I encourage a thread where people talk about the benefits of the pool, but the witch hunt on rumor I find silly.

This is not a rumour. As a user of this pool for the last 3years I know for a fact that the hierarchy are reluctant to spend the funds to keep this pool operational. As someone who reaps the benefit from this facility why would I start a witch hunt?

2 people like this post.
grapefruit
 
Posts: 57
Likes: 69 posts
Liked in: 60 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby goodswimmer » Jan 26th, 2018, 1:38 pm

WOW this is terrible

Queen K likes this post.
goodswimmer
 
Posts: 28
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Jul 4th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Queen K » Jan 26th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Grapefruit :130: You got results!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217270

The therapeutic pool at Kelowna General Hospital is closed - and there are fears among patients it may never reopen.

It closed for maintenance on Dec. 23, and was scheduled to open again in early January.

The pool, which is used by about 130 patients each day, has yet to open again.

Noelle Jefferys, a former nurse, and now patient who used the pool on a regular basis, says a hydraulic pump needs to be replaced at a cost of between $5,000 and $6,000.

She claims the hospital administrators are balking at the cost.

"It's the only pool of it's kind outside the Lower Mainland," Jefferys told Castanet News.

"There's one at GF Strong in Vancouver."

GF Strong is a rehabilitation facility.

Castanet attempted to get answers from Interior Health, but were told only the pool is down due to a maintenance issue, and recommend patients access other facilities such as the Parkinson Rec Centre, H2O, the Kelowna YMCA, or the Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre in West Kelowna.

Jefferys, and others who have reached out to Castanet say the other facilities are not an option for those who require the therapeutic pool.

The other pools are too cold, don't have dedicated staff to watch out for those with mobility issues or, in the case of the river run at the H2O Centre, then current is too fast.

Jefferys says at the pool in KGH, people in wheelchairs or walkers or on crutches, go onto the pool floor. They hold on to a rail, then an attendant removes their mobility apparatus.

The floor is then lowered into the pool.

She says there are different workout stations within the pool.

For the money it would cost to fix the pump, Jefferys believes there is no excuse to forgo the cost.
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53390
Likes: 12358 posts
Liked in: 13007 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Veovis » Jan 26th, 2018, 6:24 pm

That's a nothing cost in my mind. I know budgets are tight, but cost vs reward this additional 6K (operating costs will be much much higher overall) however an additional $,000 to an annual budget should be find-able.

However maybe someone is playing hardball for once as we know all to often as soon as it is known to be government the price often triples in it's quote.

Hopefully there is a company that will fix for regular rate and not "government" rates.

bornhere63 likes this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5875
Likes: 890 posts
Liked in: 4128 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Queen K » Jan 26th, 2018, 6:27 pm

I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.

grapefruit likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53390
Likes: 12358 posts
Liked in: 13007 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Aeader » Jan 26th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Queen K wrote:I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.


This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.

4 people like this post.
Aeader
 
Posts: 6
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Aug 20th, 2009, 11:38 pm
Location: Westbank BC

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby just popping in » Jan 26th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Great idea, the price seems like peanuts but I certainly would want a couple of quotes to confirm this is the only problem.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2867
Likes: 216 posts
Liked in: 444 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:15 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby daffydill » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:04 pm

As someone who has had surgery and used the KGH pool for months, and up for another surgery in a few weeks, the closure of that pool is devastating. There are registered physio therapists on site who assist. Can formulate specific programs for individuals. When you have to do pay to use it is the most reasonable rate for 30 minutes with this combination. I have been waiting many weeks to go back to prepare for surgery. I'm concerned that I will not be ready due to this closure. I think the expense is negligent in comparison to the annual fees collected by those who choose to continue therapy and pay. Just concerned and supremely disappointed. I cannot afford a membership for any of the other options. :135:

grapefruit likes this post.
daffydill
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 5:54 am

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Veovis » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Queen K wrote:I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.


Aeader wrote:This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.


OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

I get it and it could be done, heck people make donations all the time, it's all good, and I applaud it, it just sounds dirty when it's gofundme somehow.

SuperMom likes this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5875
Likes: 890 posts
Liked in: 4128 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby GordonH » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Queen K wrote:I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.

Veovis wrote:OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

I get it and it could be done, heck people make donations all the time, it's all good, and I applaud it, it just sounds dirty when it's gofundme somehow.


The thing is a number of organizations do fund raisers (i.e KGH auxiliary etc...etc) to enable medical devised to be donated to KGH. As well other Hospitals all over..... what do you think many of those Hospital Lottery's are for in BC.

Added: https://www.kghfoundation.com/top-priority-needs/
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Aeader likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20896
Likes: 2347 posts
Liked in: 7416 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby Queen K » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Veovis wrote:
Queen K wrote:I'll throw in $500 if eleven other people do.


Aeader wrote:This seems like a great cause for a GoFundMe campaign, if enough people are willing.


OMG what a Pandora's box that might create. Then gov gets reliant on gofund me's to allocate budgets...need more staff....gofundme...need new needles....you got it....scary.

I get it and it could be done, heck people make donations all the time, it's all good, and I applaud it, it just sounds dirty when it's gofundme somehow.


Yes indeed. All I'm doing is illustrating how easy $6000 paltry dollars is to raise. Or is it? Is there any political will inside the KGH managerial bemouth to actually save the pool?

If say, a multimillionaire stepped in and said, "Heck, I spend that much one my McClaren's oil change, I could save the pool and write a cheque for THAT project alone." Would KGH go for it?

I'm not discouraging ideas here. And if a multimillionaire steps forward with $5500, I'll be good on my offer to throw in the $500.
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53390
Likes: 12358 posts
Liked in: 13007 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: IHA attempting to close Rehablitation Pool at KGH

Postby grapefruit » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Queen K wrote:Grapefruit :130: You got results!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217270

The therapeutic pool at Kelowna General Hospital is closed - and there are fears among patients it may never reopen.

It closed for maintenance on Dec. 23, and was scheduled to open again in early January.

The pool, which is used by about 130 patients each day, has yet to open again.

Noelle Jefferys, a former nurse, and now patient who used the pool on a regular basis, says a hydraulic pump needs to be replaced at a cost of between $5,000 and $6,000.

She claims the hospital administrators are balking at the cost.

"It's the only pool of it's kind outside the Lower Mainland," Jefferys told Castanet News.

"There's one at GF Strong in Vancouver."

GF Strong is a rehabilitation facility.

Castanet attempted to get answers from Interior Health, but were told only the pool is down due to a maintenance issue, and recommend patients access other facilities such as the Parkinson Rec Centre, H2O, the Kelowna YMCA, or the Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre in West Kelowna.

Jefferys, and others who have reached out to Castanet say the other facilities are not an option for those who require the therapeutic pool.

The other pools are too cold, don't have dedicated staff to watch out for those with mobility issues or, in the case of the river run at the H2O Centre, then current is too fast.

Jefferys says at the pool in KGH, people in wheelchairs or walkers or on crutches, go onto the pool floor. They hold on to a rail, then an attendant removes their mobility apparatus.

The floor is then lowered into the pool.

She says there are different workout stations within the pool.

For the money it would cost to fix the pump, Jefferys believes there is no excuse to forgo the cost.

Thanks Queen....hopefully this will help
grapefruit
 
Posts: 57
Likes: 69 posts
Liked in: 60 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2014, 6:32 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 13 guests