Courier building up for sale

fz6adventure
Board Meister

Courier building up for sale

Post by fz6adventure »

Probably best if they simply close down the Courier anyways. They have not had any real quality journalism in years, instead opting to surf the news wires and internet for their stories. If they had actually concentrated on quality investigative reporting where the first place the readership got the inside information on what goes on in the Okanagan was through their paper and online subscriptions, then they would not have lost the circulation numbers.

It is unfortunate for the employees, and the seniors that still like the hard copy paper. But .... the times are a changing!
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Courier building up for sale

Post by alanjh595 »

Newspapers have become nothing more than a file folder to distribute flyers.
Bring back the LIKE button.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Lot's of long term employees who will have to seek a new source of income if the Daily Courier goes under. Great property for a high rise.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

UPDATE: 8:35 p.m.

Union spokesman Pat Bulmer says news of Kelowna's only daily newspaper property being for sale does not necessarily mean the end is near for The Daily Courier.

"News that the Courier building is for sale is not necessarily surprising, although the company had not told us about it," Bulmer said Wednesday night.

"The way Kelowna is developing downtown, the Courier is sitting on a valuable piece of property. It might be worth the owner’s while to get a good price for it. Perhaps he could move the business elsewhere or, as has become a common business practice, including in newspapers, he could sell the building and lease it back."

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217133
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

They have also terminated Photographer Gary Nylander and copy editor Grant Jones - Certainly looks like the beginning of the end.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lensbaby wrote:They have also terminated Photographer Gary Nylander and copy editor Grant Jones - Certainly looks like the beginning of the end.

The owner can make whatever protestations they like. Newspapers are on death row, have been since the late 90's, and anyone who works there clinging to their job shouldn't be surprised when they inevitably get laid off.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

what am i supposed to start my fireplace with now?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

voice of reason wrote:what am i supposed to start my fireplace with now?

Twigs and kindling
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Anonymous123 wrote:Twigs and kindling

I saw sports, local and classifieds, but no "twigs and kindling" section.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

I agree, The Daily Courier closure is probably now highly likely within the next 12 months (18 months at best). This is the Kamloops Daily News repeating itself. :(

It's a valuable property. The curious thing, though, is apparently Black Press has outsourced the printing of the Penticton Western News and Kelowna Capital News to Continental Newspapers' press operations following the closure of the Penticton Western News printing plant last year. I've been unable to confirm details but I suspect the Kelowna Capital News "production" operations are limited to pagination, layout & design and stuffing and collating duties. They still have their Vernon Press Centre so perhaps they could move the Kelowna Capital News and Penticton Western News to Vernon but the timing is curious.

They should, at least, put the bloody Westside Weekly out of its misery forthwith - it is just a cover to hold flyers and is rife with Barb Aguiar's terrible writing and frequently helping her friends with free publicity (i.e., that Distinctly Okanagan Wine Tours, Claudia Kargl's home-based music school, etc.). :(

Not that Castanet's writing is much better. haha :biggrin:

Cheers,
Doug
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The days of newspapers like The Courier are gone, and frankly with figures like around 7K subscriptions, two years ago, one has to speculate it's even less now, and considering the population base for this area that's pathetic.

It's surprising they haven't already shut down. It sure as heck doesn't meet the definition of a viable business.

Probably still operating simply as a tax write off for the owners while they wait to sell the land.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Courier a hot commodity
The Kelowna Daily Courier property on Doyle Avenue is a hot commodity.

Despite being on the market for only a few weeks, a couple of offers have apparently already been made on the property.

It came to light Wednesday evening that the 1.644-acre site on Doyle Avenue in downtown Kelowna had been listed. The asking price is $12.7 million.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#217203
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

So the property is not even sold yet and already the City waffles on the OCP.

The property has been on the market for a couple of weeks and, according to Smith, it's one of the larger undeveloped sites left downtown.

The city's vision for the property per the 2011 Official Community Plan is 12 storeys.

"Depending on the amenities that would be proposed with it, and how it related to adjacent development, it could certainly be more than that," said Smith.

The Smith in the quote is City Planning Director Ryan Smith.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

propane torch works great in woodstove
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

lensbaby wrote:They have also terminated Photographer Gary Nylander and copy editor Grant Jones - Certainly looks like the beginning of the end.

Wow, Gary's been shooting for the Courier since Moses was in short pants.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Central Okanagan”