Courier building up for sale

RupertBear
Übergod

Re: Courier building up for sale

Post by RupertBear »

Staffing levels have plunged and the valley editor is not the person you want at the helm if you are trying to compete with community newspapers like the Cap News and the Western.
We cancelled our subscription to the Herald years ago because we got tired of reading the same news in the Herald that we had read online from other sources three days earlier.
The company does stand to make a lot of money from the sale of the building, but with the future of newspapers in general and the Okanagan Valley Group in particular, I can't see them investing a lot of that money in a new facility.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

JayByrd wrote:Wow, Gary's been shooting for the Courier since Moses was in short pants.

LOL! Great analogy - before I was born in the early '80s anyway! ;)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

RupertBear wrote:Staffing levels have plunged and the valley editor is not the person you want at the helm if you are trying to compete with community newspapers like the Cap News and the Western.
We cancelled our subscription to the Herald years ago because we got tired of reading the same news in the Herald that we had read online from other sources three days earlier.
The company does stand to make a lot of money from the sale of the building, but with the future of newspapers in general and the Okanagan Valley Group in particular, I can't see them investing a lot of that money in a new facility.

I agree - what they should've done is cut down the number of issues per week and gone Tuesday-Saturday or Tuesday to Friday, with expanded Friday or Saturday editions, as applicable, instead of slowly cutting one 2 page spread every year such that some days it's barely two 2 page spreads. Also, they should've "cut and run" with the Westside Weekly and ditched its publication years ago. They can still target flyer delivery to specific postal codes with the Courier and/or Courier Extra - they'd just have lost out the ability to accept a few ad placements from West Kelowna area businesses to West Kelowna only subscribers. :)

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Central Okanagan”