Traps in Downtown Kelowna

Re: Traps in Downtown Kelowna

Postby vinnied » Jan 27th, 2018, 11:32 am

TreeGuy wrote:If it’s in the north end it could a part of someone’s home security. Meant for people lurking around.

Unfortunately one can not be setting traps to intentionally hurt someone for lurking around there property. If they get hurt they can sue and will win.

daria likes this post.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 584 posts

Postby lensbaby » Jan 27th, 2018, 11:48 am

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:So knowing how reliable FB is about truthful info, has anyone actually contacted the CoK to see if they are behind this use leg hold traps.

lensbaby wrote:Knowing the people personally who posted the information - complete with a photograph - I have no doubt that it is truthful.
I also seriously doubt that the City would be so irresponsible and open themselves up to lawsuits by putting out dangerous traps that could seriously injure young children and animals. So I haven't contacted them.

Maybe instead of posting it on FB, taken it to the RCMP and reported.

They did! But why not post it on Facebook to warn people?

3 people like this post.
lensbaby

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 27th, 2018, 11:59 am

^^^ nothing, knowing they reported to police.

Of course not everyone in a member of FB
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6397 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby lightspeed » Jan 27th, 2018, 2:02 pm

ferri wrote:There must be huge rats downtown then. This is the trap:

trap.jpg

Junkie trap.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

Jflem1983 likes this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2051 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 27th, 2018, 2:19 pm

lensbaby wrote:I just read on Facebook that a cat was caught in a leghold trap in downtown Kelowna tonight, and someone responded that their cat came home downtown with injuries that appeared to be from a trap a few days ago. Didn't say exactly where - just Downtown Kelowna.
common_sense_guy wrote:if you read it on the internet it has to be true right? LOL

This isn't the first case reported of leghold traps being set in Kelowna and West Kelowna ... doubt it'll be the last.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 5229 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 27th, 2018, 2:59 pm

lightspeed wrote:
ferri wrote:There must be huge rats downtown then. This is the trap:

trap.jpg

Junkie trap.

A RAT doesn't have the body mass to set this trap off. What was the bait? Bait would be properly set directly above the trap, so that the critter would have to get in the "strike zone" and reach for the bait.
traps are usually not set in a random "wandering" area. They need bait to attract the appropriate species. A lynx would not set off a bear trap, and a beaver trap would only anger a bear.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1557 posts

Postby kelowna_proud » Jan 27th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Junkie Trap for sure. Even if was set for cats there is only 2 scenarios: It will hurt the cat and what is the guy open the trap and toss the cat in the alley to limp away. Or the other scenario is catching cats for food maybe, times are tough right.

My oldschool neighbor used to catch stray cats in his backyard in one of the raccoon traps. Then drive them across the lake (so they couldn't cross the bridge back) and let them go to be majestic and free in the bush.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 27th, 2018, 6:01 pm

kelowna_proud wrote:Junkie Trap for sure. Even if was set for cats there is only 2 scenarios: It will hurt the cat and what is the guy open the trap and toss the cat in the alley to limp away. Or the other scenario is catching cats for food maybe, times are tough right.

My oldschool neighbor used to catch stray cats in his backyard in one of the raccoon traps. Then drive them across the lake (so they couldn't cross the bridge back) and let them go to be majestic and free in the bush.
A majestic and free meal for a coyote maybe.
We See
We Judge

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1032 posts

Postby kelowna_proud » Jan 27th, 2018, 6:21 pm

ahhhhh well, I guess only the strong survive.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby MalaPropina » Jan 27th, 2018, 6:45 pm

kelowna_proud wrote:Junkie Trap for sure. Even if was set for cats there is only 2 scenarios: It will hurt the cat and what is the guy open the trap and toss the cat in the alley to limp away. Or the other scenario is catching cats for food maybe, times are tough right.

A trap like that...a cat will be seriously injured and not simply "limp away". It would cause pain and horrible suffering.

As for your neighbour...disgusting cruelty. The cats that didn't starve were killed by predetors.

kelowna_proud wrote:ahhhhh well, I guess only the strong survive.

Wrong. Most domestic cats are not equpied with the instincts to survive in the bush. Most will die a slow death.

GordonH wrote:So knowing how reliable FB is about truthful info, has anyone actually contacted the CoK to see if they are behind this use leg hold traps.

There are laws regarding the use of traps. I highly doubt the city has anything to do with it. Likely it is some sick (insert your explicative of choice here) who has no respect or care for other living things be it humsn or otherwise.

3 people like this post.
MalaPropina
Fledgling

Liked in: 60 posts

Postby trapp » Jan 27th, 2018, 7:57 pm

I'm hoping trappers are not being blamed for this. No licensed trapper would jeopardize their license to set foot hold traps in town. First of all it is illegal to use foot hold traps within 200 meters of a dwelling which is pretty much most of Kelowna. You must have a trappers license to trap private property. Foot hold traps may only be used up to size two and only when set in or on water as submersion sets.

All of the nuisance animal control trappers use live traps in the city.

This may be someone with a problem which has probably escalated due to lack of proper bylaws to control cats allowed to roam freely in the city, and they are ignorant of the laws relative to trapping.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

2 people like this post.
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 312 posts

Postby motorhomebabe » Jan 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I really am dead set against cats running free. Had an elderly neighbor wind up in hospital this summer, due to a cat running through his porch and tripping him up. Having said that, Really! a leghold trap is absolutely nasty and a horrible ,painful thing.Its not the cat , Its the negligent owners.

2 people like this post.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby artistwithaflare » Jan 28th, 2018, 6:39 am

Not surprised to hear that self professed animal lovers/advocates sway when it comes to stray cats.
No empathy is a sad disguise and a reality.
... horrible, inhuman people put traps out. They need to be on leashes!
artistwithaflare
Fledgling

Liked in: 107 posts

Postby Old Techie » Jan 28th, 2018, 9:51 am

Maybe someone got tired of coyotes eating pets, and decided to take action unwittingly.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4056 posts

Postby vinnied » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:09 am

personally I've never seen a coyote downtown. Are there any? Plenty of deer though. Would be a shame to see a deer get caught in one.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 584 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan