51738
51564

Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Only a sheep stomach filled with grains and cräp would know the answer to that...... :biggrin:
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby Catri » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm

You absolutely should campaign against this development if you feel strongly that it doesn't belong there. I live in Springvalley as well and admit that I've been using your street on my shortcut to Costco since it opened so am fairly familiar with it...also part of the traffic problem, sorry. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's close to the highway and to commercial areas and it kind of makes sense that those blocks closest to 33 will be redeveloped in higher density. On the other hand, it's sort of right on the edge of that and it will definitely impact the neighbourhood in terms of traffic. You may at least get them to put in adequate parking if you take your concerns to council.

Street parking and poor plowing have made an awful lot of streets in our area single lane this winter, that's not just you.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Catri
Übergod
 
Posts: 1228
Likes: 1116 posts
Liked in: 905 posts
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 6:18 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:40 pm

That’s is the absolute purpose of a public hearing.

2 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby Bsuds » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Catri wrote: Street parking and poor plowing have made an awful lot of streets in our area single lane this winter, that's not just you.


This is prevalent all over Kelowna.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41648
Likes: 7745 posts
Liked in: 9807 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby Scrobins94 » Jan 28th, 2018, 3:41 pm

I love Kelowna and am really happy to live here. What right do I have to deprive others from moving here and enjoying it too?

TMBOkanagan likes this post.
Scrobins94
Fledgling
 
Posts: 109
Likes: 204 posts
Liked in: 75 posts
Joined: Jan 15th, 2017, 4:42 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby haggis_8 » Jan 28th, 2018, 5:29 pm

LANDM.........you truly ARE a bully. How dare you stoop so low as to mock my heritage.
I thought this was a platform to voice one's opinions?
haggis_8
 
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 11:42 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby haggis_8 » Jan 28th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Just to clarify: Yes, I have a problem with our local councillors (at least the majority).
Yes, I have a problem with the development on Taylor Road
and No, I do not have a problem with our city's growth......it is the "speed of light" rate that
it's growing at that I have a problem with.
haggis_8
 
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 11:42 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby Catsumi » Jan 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm

I haven't a dog in this fight (live in beautiful, only slightly-ripped Vernon) but didn't Okatoks, Alberta, shut off newcomers as infrastructure, housing and job availability just wasn't there? They may have changed their policy since I heard about this, maybe 10 years ago?

When I visited there it seemed to be a well thought out beautiful town (a decade past).

:biggrin:
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
User avatar
Catsumi
Übergod
 
Posts: 1120
Likes: 1692 posts
Liked in: 1010 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 28th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Catsumi wrote:I haven't a dog in this fight (live in beautiful, only slightly-ripped Vernon) but didn't Okatoks, Alberta, shut off newcomers as infrastructure, housing and job availability just wasn't there? They may have changed their policy since I heard about this, maybe 10 years ago?

When I visited there it seemed to be a well thought out beautiful town (a decade past).

:biggrin:

Or was that Canmore?
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 28th, 2018, 7:37 pm

haggis_8 wrote:LANDM.........you truly ARE a bully. How dare you stoop so low as to mock my heritage.
I thought this was a platform to voice one's opinions?


And I was trying to assist you with that...not sure why you think that is bullying or mocking your heritage. But, if you say that you want to stop anyone from coming here and you are complaining about things and who makes decisions without actually taking part.......maybe you should not be surprised if that is pointed out as being a bit silly.

Bully...yeah, right. :admin:
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby Catsumi » Jan 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm

LANDM wrote:
Catsumi wrote:I haven't a dog in this fight (live in beautiful, only slightly-ripped Vernon) but didn't Okatoks, Alberta, shut off newcomers as infrastructure, housing and job availability just wasn't there? They may have changed their policy since I heard about this, maybe 10 years ago?

When I visited there it seemed to be a well thought out beautiful town (a decade past).

:biggrin:

Or was that Canmore?



Just googled and by golly, what a sharp memory I have.

Yes, Okotoks in 2002 limited newcomers due to shortage of water, sewer, etc. I would post link but ipad doesn't comply. Maybe you can do it for me? Please and thanks.
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
User avatar
Catsumi
Übergod
 
Posts: 1120
Likes: 1692 posts
Liked in: 1010 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Catsumi wrote:
Yes, Okotoks in 2002 limited newcomers due to shortage of water, sewer, etc. .


There are also some Cities in the USA than did not stop people from building but,
would not hook up services, as they were/are maxed out.
If someone sold for whatever reason, only then would the bidding
process open to purchase the rights to services.

No supporting link.

Don't believe me ? Look it up.

:topic:

This particular development proposal will likely have zero affect on me.
I just struggle with the concept of buying property that does not carry the zoning for
what one wants to do.

Why not just buy property that already carries the zoning for ones intended purpose ?

Why bother with zoning in the first place ?

Seems if one has the funds, one gets what they want anyhow.

I want to buy up 25 houses in the Clement area for my pig farm operation.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6150
Likes: 4771 posts
Liked in: 2559 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 29th, 2018, 8:34 am

Catsumi wrote:Just googled and by golly, what a sharp memory I have.

Yes, Okotoks in 2002 limited newcomers due to shortage of water, sewer, etc. I would post link but ipad doesn't comply. Maybe you can do it for me? Please and thanks.

Cool. Didn’t know that but I don’t know that area well. I think Canmore has or had some sort of restrictions too, from what I was told.
Limiting development because of restrictions on servicing is common and actually happens in our valley.

Limiting it because we are notionally "full" because a sheep stomach full of grain and crãp says they just don’t want anyone else here is an entirely different matter.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby TMBOkanagan » Jan 29th, 2018, 8:40 am

dirtybiker wrote:
Catsumi wrote:
Yes, Okotoks in 2002 limited newcomers due to shortage of water, sewer, etc. .


There are also some Cities in the USA than did not stop people from building but,
would not hook up services, as they were/are maxed out.
If someone sold for whatever reason, only then would the bidding
process open to purchase the rights to services.

No supporting link.

Don't believe me ? Look it up.

:topic:

This particular development proposal will likely have zero affect on me.
I just struggle with the concept of buying property that does not carry the zoning for
what one wants to do.

Why not just buy property that already carries the zoning for ones intended purpose ?

Why bother with zoning in the first place ?

Seems if one has the funds, one gets what they want anyhow.

I want to buy up 25 houses in the Clement area for my pig farm operation.


Very few properties are already zoned for development - and if they are, they are already developed. There is an Officially Community Plan that dictates the future land use for each property (ie what zone they COULD be as the City grows). So, rezoning to one of these zones that is dictated by the Future Land Use is exactly what is expected.

2 people like this post.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling
 
Posts: 111
Likes: 439 posts
Liked in: 67 posts
Joined: Aug 8th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Re: Regarding new zoning change on 255 Taylor Road

Postby LANDM » Jan 29th, 2018, 9:01 am

And, in fact, this property is designated MRL in the OCP as follows:

Multiple Unit Residential (Low Density) (MRL)
Townhouses, garden apartments, apartments, buildings containing three or more residential units. Complementary uses (i.e. care centres, minor public services/utilities, and neighbourhood parks), that are integral components of urban neighbourhoods would also be permitted. Building densities would be consistent with the provisions of the RM1 – Four-plex Housing, RM2 – Low Density Row Housing, or RM3 – Low Density Multiple Housing zones of the Zoning Bylaw and may include CD Comprehensive Development zoning for similar densities or land uses.
Where multiple unit residential (low density) uses fall within character areas (see Map 5.8 - Urban Design DP Area Designation), rezoning will not be permitted if such results in building heights greater than 2 1⁄2 storeys (regardless of density). Front yard setbacks should remain consistent with the established street pattern to ensure that neighbourhood character is maintained.


One can’t really be surprised at this use when the future land use is designated clearly as such for all to see.

4 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5505
Likes: 1357 posts
Liked in: 2706 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CapitalB, dle, Gilchy and 21 guests