Arrested at Gunpoint

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Arrested at Gunpoint

Post by Sparki55 »

TreeGuy wrote:Does anyone remember this story?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/116272/Guns-drawn-cops-arrest-man#.U4pFEE8__6E.facebook

I remember this in the news from 3 years ago. Do you think I can remember what I did 3 days ago?

Thanks for posting!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

OldBlindDog wrote:Gee, what a surprise that it happened in THAT apartment complex. I am shocked, SHOCKED!

yup :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I remember when it was OK to have your long guns in a rack behind your head in your pick up. Pretty much everybody in rural communities did, me included.

Guns were and still are a useful tool in those same communities and the overall impression of guns then was not what it is today.

Fast forward; read the news then ask yourself why the police might be concerned about anyone who is stupid enough to have a gun openly displayed.

Same with the man in the second article, no shirt loading guns into his vehicle with a child present. Legal or not, that kind of behavior is going to elicit a response from the police as it should.

Consider the alternative; the police assume they are legal and choose to not repsond and then BANG!!! Front page news.

PS; I love guns. Always have always will but if I chose to display my .357 S&W magnum in public, I'm stupid.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

A lot of this is on the gun owners. I personally have moved my guns in and out of my house 100's of times and never had the police called on me. They leave the house in cases so they're not displayed for the neighborhood to see, taken either hunting, or shooting, then brought back in the cases. If you walk around an apartment building, parking lot, or neighborhood holding a gun i think its safe to say 95% of people are going to be nervous (95% is an educated guess). While a sawed off shotgun, if factory purchased is legal to own (with a restricted firearms license) it also has to be treated and transported like a handgun. Must have a trigger lock in place, in a case (also preferrable locked) You must drive from place of residence directly to approved shooting facility, then directly back. No stopping for groceries, a burger, or gas.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jhunter199 wrote:A lot of this is on the gun owners. I personally have moved my guns in and out of my house 100's of times and never had the police called on me. They leave the house in cases so they're not displayed for the neighborhood to see, taken either hunting, or shooting, then brought back in the cases. If you walk around an apartment building, parking lot, or neighborhood holding a gun i think its safe to say 95% of people are going to be nervous (95% is an educated guess). While a sawed off shotgun, if factory purchased is legal to own (with a restricted firearms license) it also has to be treated and transported like a handgun. Must have a trigger lock in place, in a case (also preferrable locked) You must drive from place of residence directly to approved shooting facility, then directly back. No stopping for groceries, a burger, or gas.

A sawed off legal shotgun is treated like a long gun. No need to have a trigger lock to transport, must be stored away from ammo and you can stop at as many stores as you like because it is not a restricted firearm.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It wouldn't be a sawed off shotgun (illegal) but a short barrelled shotgun you are talking about.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote:It wouldn't be a sawed off shotgun (illegal) but a short barrelled shotgun you are talking about.

Either way, there is no need for that gun to be used at this time of year and viewable to the public. "Sawed off" shotguns have no use for target, recreational, or hunting. They are only good for one thing. Short range, indoor, home invasion, self protection. Since that weapon was seen outside of the home, it must be for offensive use, rather than defensive protection.
Bring back the LIKE button.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote: Since that weapon was seen outside of the home, it must be for offensive use, rather than defensive protection.

That's a heck of a stretch don't you think?
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Sparki55 wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:A lot of this is on the gun owners. I personally have moved my guns in and out of my house 100's of times and never had the police called on me. They leave the house in cases so they're not displayed for the neighborhood to see, taken either hunting, or shooting, then brought back in the cases. If you walk around an apartment building, parking lot, or neighborhood holding a gun i think its safe to say 95% of people are going to be nervous (95% is an educated guess). While a sawed off shotgun, if factory purchased is legal to own (with a restricted firearms license) it also has to be treated and transported like a handgun. Must have a trigger lock in place, in a case (also preferrable locked) You must drive from place of residence directly to approved shooting facility, then directly back. No stopping for groceries, a burger, or gas.

A sawed off legal shotgun is treated like a long gun. No need to have a trigger lock to transport, must be stored away from ammo and you can stop at as many stores as you like because it is not a restricted firearm.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

Restricted firearms include:

handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (ie sawed off)

according to the RCMP a sawed off shotgun is still classified as a restricted firearm and still requires a restricted arms license.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

TylerM4 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: Since that weapon was seen outside of the home, it must be for offensive use, rather than defensive protection.

That's a heck of a stretch don't you think?

How so? What practical use is there fore a sawed off shotgun, in the winter, outside your home?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote:How so? What practical use is there fore a sawed off shotgun, in the winter, outside your home?

Well, letse. Off the top of my head, I can think of a handful of reasons:
- You have to get it home after purchase somehow.
- It's got to leave your home to take it to the gun range. I assume you'll agree that a gun owner should familiarize themselves with a weapon they own. Especially if you're planning to use it in a high stress self-defense scenario.
- Often guns are brought to a gunsmith for repairs, modifications, and maintenance.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TylerM4 wrote:Well, letse. Off the top of my head, I can think of a handful of reasons:
- It's got to leave your home to take it to the gun range. I assume you'll agree that a gun owner should familiarize themselves with a weapon they own. Especially if you're planning to use it in a high stress self-defense scenario.
- Often guns are brought to a gunsmith for repairs, modifications, and maintenance.

Anyone I know uses a gun case to transport. I'm surprised neither you nor Sparki55 realize that is the safest way to get it home.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

Restricted firearms include:

handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (ie sawed off)

according to the RCMP a sawed off shotgun is still classified as a restricted firearm and still requires a restricted arms license.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-grizzly-8-5-magfed-shotgun/

^^^^ not restricted
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And not sawed off.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

TylerM4 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:How so? What practical use is there fore a sawed off shotgun, in the winter, outside your home?

Well, letse. Off the top of my head, I can think of a handful of reasons:

Put it a case, a bag, blanket, something, anything that makes it not look like a firearm. If it was new, it would come in a box.
- It's got to leave your home to take it to the gun range.
A sawed off shotgun has a useful range of 20 feet. No adjustable sights, and useless to hunt with.
I assume you'll agree that a gun owner should familiarize themselves with a weapon they own.
You don't have to pull the trigger with a live round in the breach to familiarize yourself with a sawed off shotgun.
Especially if you're planning to use it in a high stress self-defense scenario.
How many others are so paranoid about their living conditions in an apartment building that feel so compelled to buy a sawed off shotgun to protect themselves with? If there is so much stress about living there, MOVE, call the police, or stop whatever illegal activity you are doing to bring that much stress in your life.
A gun that needs to go to the gunsmith for repairs, needs to be used a great deal in order for it to require professional help. Just try and take a open gun into a gunsmith and see what happens.

Return to “Central Okanagan”