Arrested at Gunpoint

Sparki55
Guru

Arrested at Gunpoint

Post by Sparki55 »

Link to storey:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/217691/Arrested-at-gunpoint

From the storey it seems there is some shady characters and possible crime involved.

The storey does concern me in that all it states was a person is seen with a shotgun and then police raid their home and arrest them. People are allowed to own firearms and store them in their apartment. Friends are allowed to come over with firearms too. None of what happened was illegal unless the storey is missing some crutial information.

I would certainly be upset if someone arrested me after a day of hunting simply for walking into my home with a rifle or shotgun. They could knock and ask to see my firearm but as far as I know from our laws they cannot come barging in and search my whole home while I'm in custody.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Arrested at Gunpoint

Post by Fancy »

Sparki55 wrote:None of what happened was illegal unless the storey is missing some crutial information.

First media releases normally do not post all information available.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect there is lot more to this then is being reported, best wait & see if police give more details.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sparki55 wrote:

I would certainly be upset if someone arrested me after a day of hunting simply for walking into my home with a rifle or shotgun. They could knock and ask to see my firearm but as far as I know from our laws they cannot come barging in and search my whole home while I'm in custody.

The story said it was a sawed off shotgun which I'm not positive but believe is a no-no and not generally used for hunting.
As for searching the home it also said they were waiting for a search warrant. Once they have that they can search as they please and I'm pretty sure they are not going to wait for you to get out of custody.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:First media releases normally do not post all information available.

And always leaves out anything that takes away from sensationalizing it.

As in if the story is boring no one will read it.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote:The story said it was a sawed off shotgun which I'm not positive but believe is a no-no and not generally used for hunting.
As for searching the home it also said they were waiting for a search warrant. Once they have that they can search as they please and I'm pretty sure they are not going to wait for you to get out of custody.

Sawed off shotguns can be legal if purchased that way, I've certainly seen some that could be questionable however legal. They are meant to be carried as a long gun as an alternative to handgun carry.

If the police do get the search warrant I'm sure they will find something. Little bit of pot could be presented as drug dealer with weapons. I'm very interested to see why the police decided to raid with a squad of armed officers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:The story said it was a sawed off shotgun which I'm not positive but believe is a no-no and not generally used for hunting.

Sparki55 wrote:Sawed off shotguns can be legal if purchased that way, I've certainly seen some that could be questionable however legal. They are meant to be carried as a long gun as an alternative to handgun carry.

If the police do get the search warrant I'm sure they will find something. Little bit of pot could be presented as drug dealer with weapons. I'm very interested to see why the police decided to raid with a squad of armed officers.

Only if it came from the factory that way (with the paper work, serial number must match), not from Uncle Pete.
https://globalnews.ca/news/365045/sawin ... h-barrels/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sparki55 wrote:If the police do get the search warrant I'm sure they will find something. Little bit of pot could be presented as drug dealer with weapons. I'm very interested to see why the police decided to raid with a squad of armed officers.

I would not be surprised if then next update says these 2 or at least the Male is known to police.

As far as going in with the full force ERT they prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That's just the way it is now and I don't blame them one bit.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

If you're packing a shotgun openly in a public place - expect something like this to happen.

Yes, it's legal to own a shotgun assuming you have a valid PAL. But responsible gun owners would never openly carry like that. It's almost always in a case unless you're in the bush, at the range, or actively cleaning/maintaining it inside your private residence. I won't even carry my shotgun across my driveway to my vehicle without it being in a case.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Sparki55 wrote:I'm very interested to see why the police decided to raid with a squad of armed officers.

Wait, you'd prefer for them to be UNarmed officers?
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

Gee, what a surprise that it happened in THAT apartment complex. I am shocked, SHOCKED!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WE sure have a lot of EXPERTS on law here don't we.

Do you think the media was privileged to all of the POLICE information or just a little??

If in fact it was a sawed off shotgun, was it possibly used in a crime? Would you think maybe it was used to threaten someone, the POLICE would be telling all?

There are so many situations that come to mind that I laugh at the original post. :Nothing against the law." Huh, good on you let us know the rest of the story as you seem to be in the know.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

if someone seen the shotgun and could identify it as being a "sawed off shotgun".......either the suspect was too stupid to hide it or the complainant had seen a weapon similar and has personal knowledge of what is and what is not an illegal shotgun.

It is not hunting season either.
Bring back the LIKE button.
keepitreal
Fledgling

Post by keepitreal »

Sparki55 wrote:

Sawed off shotguns can be legal if purchased that way, I've certainly seen some that could be questionable however legal. They are meant to be carried as a long gun as an alternative to handgun carry.

sparki55 Im sure they'll give you a call and let you know.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Does anyone remember this story?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/116272/Guns-drawn-cops-arrest-man#.U4pFEE8__6E.facebook

I remember this in the news from 3 years ago. Do you think I can remember what I did 3 days ago?

Return to “Central Okanagan”