Looming labour shortage

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Looming labour shortage

Post by CapitalB »

Looming labour shortage

The Okanagan Valley construction industry has a problem.

Work began on a record-setting number of new homes in the region last year, and as demand for labour swelled, local contractors found themselves unable to find enough qualified workers to meet the demand.

Jason Henderson, the CEO of the Southern Interior Construction Association, says the effect of that shortage is rippling throughout the valley, driving up the cost of building and forcing many to wait long periods (or pay big bucks) to find contractors.

Those short-term headaches are bad, but Henderson says an even more significant worker shortage is looming just over the horizon.

For the complete story, including how the local labour shortage is driving up the cost of building a home, as well as why new Canadians could be the solution, check out the full story on Castanet's sister business news website, Okanagan Edge.

Who wants a job in an industry with stagnant wages, comparatively low wage ceiling, 0 job security, constant danger, and no future?

Before you start poking holes in my comment; I worked in trades for ten years so don't try to use lack of experience in the industry as reasoning for my POV.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
fluid power

Re: Looming labour shortage

Post by fluid power »

I agree with the OP.

Maybe if the local construction industry started paying people a competitive wage, it wouldn't have this problem. Supply and demand.

Also, there used to be more help and incentive to become a trades person. The government took that help away. Maybe there should be more incentive for new people to enter the trades. I really hate the argument that says
"We have to bring in foreign labour because we don't have enough people"
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

CapitalB wrote:Who wants a job in an industry with stagnant wages, comparatively low wage ceiling, 0 job security, constant danger, and no future?

Before you start poking holes in my comment; I worked in trades for ten years so don't try to use lack of experience in the industry as reasoning for my POV.

Well, if you only looked at it like a 'job' then I'm sure it showed in your motivation and work ethic.

I know a many 'career' journeymen who make well over $30/hr and have been at the same company for a lot of years with no serious injuries.

Maybe a tough construction career is not for everyone.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

As someone whose regular employment consisted of being a farmhand, I get you. Conditions are often not that different.
I am... the law!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

If $100 plus cash an hour isn't incentive enough to work on your own I don't know what is. Many of these trades quote one price for the job, all cash, off the books. Break down what they charge and how many hours they actually put in and they are laughing. Why would a skilled trade work for someone else and have to be on time, held accountable to a degree with for their work, have to work set days and pay tax on 40 an hour when they can have endless work on their own, show up and leave whatever times they like and take whatever days off they like?
Last edited by fall on Feb 1st, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

1. Ask for very high experience level @ lower than industry standard wage
    2. Don't get enough takers
    3. Complain about labour shortage
    4. Bring in TFW's or subsidies or outsource or some such similar thing
    5. Wages get lower + profits get bigger

:up:
Your bias suits you.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Well they were the lowest bidder, and even if they're going to be over budget anway it won't be over in labour costs.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:
    1. Ask for very high experience level @ lower than industry standard wage
    2. Don't get enough takers
    3. Complain about labour shortage
    4. Bring in TFW's or subsidies or outsource or some such similar thing
    5. Wages get lower + profits get bigger

:up:

BINGO! The industry is crying "wage shortage" so they can get the government to bring in more workers so that wages don't get driven up as they should given the current supply and demand of labour.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

All I know is I'm giving my notice at work on Monday and starting a new job up North-ish in March essentially due to all of the above; it's not just the wages that drive skilled people away it's also the cost of living and lack of opportunity here in Vancouver Junior.

Honestly it is what it is!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MCB wrote:All I know is I'm giving my notice at work on Monday and starting a new job up North-ish in March essentially due to all of the above; it's not just the wages that drive skilled people away it's also the cost of living and lack of opportunity here in Vancouver Junior.

Honestly it is what it is!

AND yet there are so many that lavish in the sand and sun of the Okanagan and complain that they are not paid enough compared to workers "up North".

Just another snowflake driven, 1st world problem.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Labour shortage affects all businesses. Young employees with limited work experience and very poor work ethics thing they deserve $20/hour just for breathing.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Even Steven wrote:Labour shortage affects all businesses. Young employees with limited work experience and very poor work ethics thing they deserve $20/hour just for breathing.

The problem is that entry level wages for labourers and first years of various trades haven't moved for like fifteen years. Its getting to the point that minimum wage is starting to catch up on a lot of them. Who wants to bust their *bleep* for peanuts when they could work some crappy retail job for and only make 50 cents to a dollar an hour less.
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

CapitalB wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Labour shortage affects all businesses. Young employees with limited work experience and very poor work ethics thing they deserve $20/hour just for breathing.

The problem is that entry level wages for labourers and first years of various trades haven't moved for like fifteen years. Its getting to the point that minimum wage is starting to catch up on a lot of them. Who wants to bust their *bleep* for peanuts when they could work some crappy retail job for and only make 50 cents to a dollar an hour less.

You said it all above, entry level wages, once you continue in your trade you will earn more. For example an entry level Carpenter will earn between 14-18 an hour, hardly minimum wage. Once he/she is apprenticed they will continue to earn more after completing each year of his/her apprenticeship level. They can also collect EI while they are completing their level training in school, On average it takes around 4 years to become certified in a trade. This is the same time it takes for an individual to complete their 4 year B/A degree in University at which time they will start at an entry level wage until they further their education or skillset
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

as long as these jobs pay waay more in alberta than they do in the okanagan all the good workers are going to head out of town to greener pastures and leave the guys who cant pass a drug test behind
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Jesus Christ, you guys talk like $30 to $30 is a decent wage. I can barely survive on 72/hr. To each there own I guess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”