Genderless ID Won't Fly

LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Genderless ID Won't Fly

Post by LivinginKelowna »

I fail to see how this is anyone but the person travellings error. To those bashing Westjet for not looking the other way, I ask what is the point of having rules, if you are not going to enforce them.

A realtor here in town, Blake Roberts made a statement:

"In this day of gender neutrality....we are at the airport boarding a flight to Vancouver and they removed the bags of a lady from New Zealand and won’t let her on the plane because her Drivers license doesn’t specify male or female. (They don’t specify there evidently). This poor lady is left crying and stranded alone at the airport in Kelowna. The federal government better get consistent in its law and the fact that the WestJet staff wouldn’t turn a blind eye for her? Poor form WestJet"

To me this is a very poor choice considering that his entire business is based on following rules/guidelines and being a professional. Hey Blake, how about you lie on the next sales contract you draw up so the owner doesn't have to pay as much transfer tax? Or how about the disclosure statement that should have said there was a grow op on the property?

Rules scmulzes, right???

There is no one to blame but this woman for not ensuring that her New Zealand government issued ID met the travelling requirements of Canadian law. Just because someone finally did their job correctly, something that apparently had been overlooked in the past, the masses are coming down on Westjet. How can that be right?

People need to stop crying because life isn't fair to them and forcing the Canadian public to have to change to meet their demands.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Genderless ID Won't Fly

Post by Dizzy1 »

This “age of gender neutrality” - sheesh. How many genders are we up to now? Something like 72 last I heard.

And to get some facts straight - no, WestJet nor any other airline can turn a “blind eye” as this falls under Transport Canada regulations and that would be breaking the law which would result ins one very hefty fines and even losing their certificate of carriage.

Good on WestJet for following the rules :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

This has nothing to do with Westjet - it is a government of Canada requirement -

"Identification for domestic flights
For a boarding pass to be issued by an air carrier, passengers on domestic flights within Canada who appear to be 18 years of age or older must present either of the following types of identification:
A piece of valid, government-issued identification that includes a photograph and the passenger’s name, date of birth and gender, or
Two pieces of valid, government-issued identification without photographs showing the passenger’s name, date of birth and gender.
For additional information and examples of acceptable types of identification, consult www.passengerprotect.gc.ca.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

How did the initial security screening person let her through? Wasn’t this caught at the boarding gate?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

TreeGuy wrote:How did the initial security screening person let her through? Wasn’t this caught at the boarding gate?

Security only check that you have a valid boarding pass. They don't check your ID. That's for check-in and the boarding gate
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

There is something more to the story as a NZ passport does contain gender. M, F, X are the options but the passport is valid for travel. They must not have had it.
A no gender passport is valid as secondary ID.

As for the OP comparing to "lying on a contract", that is a pretty bizarre comparison.

Does everyone know the requirements for travel in every country? Probably not. Is it reasonable to think that a fellow commonwealth country would be similar? Yes.

Should everyone confirm the requirements for travel in every country they plan to visit. YES!

But this crazy notion of bashing others because of this simple mistake is silly.
You and 71 others Like this post
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I am guilty for reading this, will not happen again. BUT..........maybe when this gets from M, F, X all the way Z. Can't wait to see what that looks like.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LANDM wrote:There is something more to the story as a NZ passport does contain gender. M, F, X are the options but the passport is valid for travel. They must not have had it.

I read that the husband had left for Vancouver the day before and had her passport with him.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

LANDM wrote:There is something more to the story as a NZ passport does contain gender. M, F, X are the options but the passport is valid for travel. They must not have had it.
A no gender passport is valid as secondary ID.

As for the OP comparing to "lying on a contract", that is a pretty bizarre comparison.

Does everyone know the requirements for travel in every country? Probably not. Is it reasonable to think that a fellow commonwealth country would be similar? Yes.

Should everyone confirm the requirements for travel in every country they plan to visit. YES!

But this crazy notion of bashing others because of this simple mistake is silly.

What would you consider the ticket that was purchased other than a contract with rules and regulations to be conformed to?

the comparison was not bizarre, would the realtor be willing to look the other way as he suggested that WestJet do?

and for the record, read the entire post and find the article before commenting so you are more educated about the conversation at hand. It clearly stated the passport was with the husband in Vancouver.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

lensbaby wrote:This has nothing to do with Westjet - it is a government of Canada requirement -

"Identification for domestic flights
For a boarding pass to be issued by an air carrier, passengers on domestic flights within Canada who appear to be 18 years of age or older must present either of the following types of identification:
A piece of valid, government-issued identification that includes a photograph and the passenger’s name, date of birth and gender, or
Two pieces of valid, government-issued identification without photographs showing the passenger’s name, date of birth and gender.
For additional information and examples of acceptable types of identification, consult http://www.passengerprotect.gc.ca.

Exactly, nothing to do with WestJet
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bsuds wrote:

I read that the husband had left for Vancouver the day before and had her passport with him.

I read that here too:

https://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/news/ ... ly-in-b-c/
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

not to nitpick but if you have the proper ID why does gender need to factor in? I mean it isn't like planes let only even 50%/50% fly. Odd requirement.
sidenote cause I am tired of working today - as a little kid I had hardly any hair, and it was white blonde. People would call me a boy and that I knew was wrong. Not too smart, instead of saying " I'm a girl" I would announce " I'm ( fill in my nickname) Hardly cleared up any confusion LOL. But to be fair to my sweet lil self I was always called the Nickname, thought it was part of my " real" name
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

What's weird is, if she showed her vagina for proof, they'd likely get her arrested.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Gender needs to factor in because it is a Canadian Government regulation. Until that is changed the airlines hands are tied - and it does need to be changed. Washington DC, Oregon, New Zealand, Queensland Australia and Ontario now issue gender neutral driving licences, and BC has said that they are going to - so maybe change is not too far away.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

if only there was a way for this to not have even happened in the first place

Return to “Central Okanagan”